Home

Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button

This is a discussion on Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #33
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button

i don't like holding x to sprint. The turbo button is fine.

Buttons just need to be pressure sensitive. As well as the analog sticks.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
I think you can only make things so authentic though. I don't agree with you on the need to limit a QB's speed when they're in the backfeild. Because if I actually want to just sprint and pick up yards by my feet, I have to wait to get to the LOS until I get full speed. That doesn't seem natural and authentic. I think an alternative that can be done is that once a player gets in scramble mode, the awareness rating can come into play. If a player want to pass the ball off to someone after running around. Some receivers will have weak accuracy for the QB (deep down feild and on the other side of the field). If a QB has weak awareness, they will have to be in passing mode for a bit to reflect that they are rexongizing where their recievers are. QBs with better awareness will be able to do this better. Most QB's that are fast aren't that good awareness wise, so this will make it harder for players to run around all day and find a target and make this their gameplan.
You could definitely do something like that, but again, if you don't make it so that there's no sprint button, then R2/Right Trigger is still the sprint button. So if you have to press and hold R2 to enter the QB scramble mode, you wouldn't have any ability to then also press sprint. That's my point. I think that utilizing the scramble mode is a way to compromise here, so that if they don't want to scrap sprint altogether, they could still use the scramble mode as a way to deal with mobile QBs (and I think that it would actually make it more entertaining to play with dual threat QBs).
Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #35
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
This is the worst idea to garner support in Madden Forum history.

The level of control afforded by the analog sticks is not enough to eliminate the "sprint" button. The running game on PS3/X360 absolutely sucks and part of it is that they moved the "sprint" to the trigger. The analog sticks do not allow you to vary your speed quickly enough to wait for blocks and then "turn it on" which was one of my favorite things about the PS2 version of the game - you could actually vary your speed with a decent amount of control by not hitting the "sprint" button until the perfect moment. The current gen games do not have that to nearly the same level. As far as trying to incorporate the variances into the sticks - I am all for the added level of control that might bring. In fact I have said many times that all the buttons need to be pressure sensitive and consistent.On the PS3 version of the game you can tap, press, or mash the triangle button, but you do not get consistent results based on how you hit the button. You might get a big jump out of any of the three, or a "barely put your hands up" out of any of the three.
My idea though was that now instead of the sprint button that modifies speed up, you now have a traffic modifier that modifies speed down. So you'd still have that ability to enter more of a "controlled" running style that would allow you to pick your way through holes. The problem with the current setup is that they have a button set aside for what really should be the default command, and it's eating up a button that could be used for more specialized tasks that would improve user control. As it stands right now, there's really no way that you could add in a "control/agile" running modifier with the current controls, and I think that adding such a modifier would be a much more effective way to allow people to better run between the tackles and make moves/hit holes in tight spaces, rather than simply having them not hit sprint and then use the regular set of jukes and spins.

Think about it. Aside from controlling the running back, how often do you NOT want to sprint? On defense you have the strafe button which essentially works as a "defensive control" mode that makes it easier to make precise movements on defense, so you're basically always going to either be using strafe or sprint. On offense, the only time that you don't sprint is with the RB as you cross the LOS and try to hit the hole, and you could actually deal with that more effectively by having a control scheme with a modifier aimed specifically at that situation. When else would you not want your player to be running at top speed, in such a manner that stick control would be insufficient?

Last edited by rhombic21; 12-24-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #36
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Since the game of football is at a fast pace I cant see anolog sprinting being able to handle it. You might not realize it but when your changing directions you push the stick all the way to that direction so then your going to make your guy run full sprint while your trying to go left or right, making him look like a airplane.

I like having the freedom to hit the stick in the directions I want and then to decide to trun on the jets when I want by hitting the trigger or Button that is used for Sprinting.

NHL is a totally different sport and removing the speed burst for that game makes more sense.

In Football thier are times when u turn the jets on and off a few times during a run, and to have the anolog being resposible for all that while trying to change direction , run fast then slow down then go left. I dont see it working.

Leave the stick for player control and leave the trigger or A button for speed burst.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #37
Rookie

Wjkporter's Arena

OVR: 8

Joborule great points..... Rhombic21 I never knew you played Madden. Do you still make videos?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #38
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
My idea though was that now instead of the sprint button that modifies speed up, you now have a traffic modifier that modifies speed down. So you'd still have that ability to enter more of a "controlled" running style that would allow you to pick your way through holes. The problem with the current setup is that they have a button set aside for what really should be the default command, and it's eating up a button that could be used for more specialized tasks that would improve user control. As it stands right now, there's really no way that you could add in a "control/agile" running modifier with the current controls, and I think that adding such a modifier would be a much more effective way to allow people to better run between the tackles and make moves/hit holes in tight spaces, rather than simply having them not hit sprint and then use the regular set of jukes and spins.
Brilliant! I really like that idea. But I think something like that would be a few years off from now.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #39
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjkporter
Joborule great points..... Rhombic21 I never knew you played Madden. Do you still make videos?
I primarily play NCAA, although I occasionally play Madden. I haven't made any videos in awhile, but I might make more sometime soon.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #40
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Since the game of football is at a fast pace I cant see anolog sprinting being able to handle it. You might not realize it but when your changing directions you push the stick all the way to that direction so then your going to make your guy run full sprint while your trying to go left or right, making him look like a airplane.

I like having the freedom to hit the stick in the directions I want and then to decide to trun on the jets when I want by hitting the trigger or Button that is used for Sprinting.

NHL is a totally different sport and removing the speed burst for that game makes more sense.

In Football thier are times when u turn the jets on and off a few times during a run, and to have the anolog being resposible for all that while trying to change direction , run fast then slow down then go left. I dont see it working.

Leave the stick for player control and leave the trigger or A button for speed burst.
Again though, my proposal is that you wouldn't just get rid of the sprint button and replace it with nothing. You'd replace it with an "agile/controlled" running mode, which would make it easier to pull off precise change of direction movements. So it's not like you wouldn't have a way to still make controlled movements. In fact, you'd have the ability to make those movements more easily than you do right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »