Home

Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button

This is a discussion on Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button

I know that this seems like somewhat of a drastic change, but here are my arguments for why this should go:

1) Honestly, how often are you in control of a player where you DON'T want him to run as fast as possible? Not very often. Certainly not often enough to warrant having to hit a separate button to get him to do so. Running should basically work based on the direction that the stick is pressed, so that varying degrees would result in varying speeds.

2) It would free up a button to do other things. Here are the things that I think you could replace the sprint button with, which would make the game better. I'm basing this of 360 controls, but the same changes would apply to the PS3.

QB - Pressing the right trigger takes down the passing icons and makes the QB go into runner mode. Now you can spin, stiff arm, juke, etc...Would have two-fold benefits. First, it would reduce the ability of people to run around at full speed with the QB and then suddenly throw to a WR. Second, for teams that have really mobile and athletic QBs, it would allow the user to actually try and evade people behind the LOS with something other than simply sprinting around in circles. I could even see implementing special QB pocket juke animations.

RB/ballcarrier - Pressing Right Trigger enters what I would term "traffic mode." This mode basically makes it easier to make moves in a tight area. So it would sacrifice forward speed for greater ability to move laterally. This would make it easier to do things like pull off hop steps into/out of a hole, or to make quick shifty moves that shake a defender, to get skinny in the hole, etc...In a lot of ways, this would almost be like an offensive strafe button for ballcarriers. When you press it, it could automatically turn your guy to have his shoulders parallel with the goal line, and then you can use the left and right jukes to perform appropriate moves that would be designed to work in a small space. The problem with the juke button right now is that it's often just too drastic of a movement to work in space very well, and it's kind of a dramatic movement that's designed for the open field. What I'm thinking here are more like smaller, more subtle jukes and moves, that are designed to be easy to control and which work in tight areas.

Receiver/Ball in the Air - So one of my biggest gripes about the way that the passing game works is that there's no way to get a receiver or DB to orient himself/look at the ball, without completely turning around via the stafe button (which now you can't even do on offense due to the exploits that was causing). You could use the right trigger as a mode that would make the player "look" at the ball. So his head would orient on the ball, and maybe you access some slightly different run animations that have some sort of speed difference, but the point is that now with him oriented on the ball, he will go for the catch or swat when you press the button. So it's kind of like a strafe concept, but the player doesn't stop and turn around, and it doesn't access any special jump animations.

Defense - I had a couple of ideas on defense. One was that you could combine right trigger with the right analog stick, and then have a set of custom defensive moves to try and defeat blocks. Right now, if you wanted to use the right analog stick for anything on defense, you have to get rid of pass commit and the hit-stick. Another idea is that you could use the right trigger as a power mode on defense. So currently, if defenders run into blockers, they really do so with almost no momentum or power, and end up getting blocked. This is problematic for power run type plays, or other plays where some defenders would, rather than trying to run around a blocker, would actually want to power into a blocker, knock him back, and blow up the play. I'm thinking this would be good for all kinds of situations. You've got LBs blitzing with a RB picking him up. You've got kickoff coverage with the wedge busters. You've got linebackers taking on fullbacks in the hole on lead running plays. What this would do is make size and strength, in addition to speed, actually matter for players other than your defensive linemen.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Madden/NCAA Should Get Rid of the Sprint Button

I agree with getting rid of it. It seems once you hit the turbo button, your whole team stops blocking. You can still have fast people without the turbo button, just depends on the Speed and Acc attribute. And have people top out at full speed after running like 5 years straight in one direction or something. Turbo needs to go.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I agree with this as well. You have an acceleration rating and a speed rating. Why not just allow those to come into play to determine how fast the player gets to top speed as you are pressing the stick in directions. A full hard press of the stick in a direction = accelerate fully. Slight presses should keep you in a mode where you are strictly focusing on moves and trying to read holes and break free.

As for defense I agree as well because your play calls and down and distance should have more of a say over whether your players run/pass committ, in the secondary anyways. The hit stick was ok when it first came out, but I think it is time to move on. Let the players velocity, angle, ratings ect determine the hits.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

I'm not sure on this without more details. I don't want the game to move at a slow pace.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

I agree. Just implement full analog running with different animations for different speeds depending on how far the stick is pressed. NHL has moved in that direction (no sprint button) but they still don't have full analog speed control which hurts the implementation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I really don't have a firm opinion on this. Really, I'd probably prefer for them to do away with the sprint button. But I don't foresee it happening, so I'll make the best out of it.

I just think that if they're going to keep it, it should have an impact on fatigue so that it doesn't feel so gimmicky and arcade.

But I do agree with the OP when he says that you're consistently holding down the sprint button anyway.

I hope that EA provides an opinion on this. I've seen this topic come up several times, but I haven't seen Ian or Phil comment on it.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I sort of agree. The turbo button has not only been in every Madden, but its been in almost EVERY sports game. If they opened up both the shoulder buttons, the triggers ought to be the juke. The harder you press them the harder the cut your player makes. Then what I REALLY want is the stiff arm to be two buttons again, LB and RB. I believe the older Maddens had this exact set up on the old Xbox when A was the sprint button.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

I think they should keep it because I don't use it all the time. Sometimes I like to run slow with my HB until I get good blocking and then I run through the hole. I think there is no need to remove this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »