Home

What is the problem with madden player movement

This is a discussion on What is the problem with madden player movement within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: What is the problem with madden player movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Foot plant is the technology to keep the players feet pinned to the ground during blending. Though NBA 2k is an amazing game, they don't have foot plant and it's pretty obvious - the guys look like they're skating around the court (obviously they do a ton of other things right so I'm not trying to pick on them).

If you let off the gas to plant (think in the vein of a user controlled hesitation move...stop moving forward, let your player start to slow down, then cut), you can then do a lot of cool left stick planting, including stutter steps by going left to right. Agreed we want more of this, but without losing control. Anytime you go into canned animations you risk making the game feel sluggish. I think we have the tech to solve this problem though.

Yeah, it's been thought about.

No comment.
Man, I swear you just give us the teeniest amount of info whiel in the process not giving us any bigtime info. Your good man. 2k needs to hire you to market their baseball game for sure...in all seriuosness sounds like this is the year madden incorperates the fan input. Thanks for being here again
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
Would it be possible to make the running animations ..faster? Like with Ted Ginn it feels like I'm running a 5 flat with him, and for the most part everyone looks like they're jogging
I agree with that. In the videos I've seen, some of the running animations in 09 look like fast jogging, even when the player is supposed to be sprinting.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 13

The game overall feels too slow from a player movement aspect. The best way to get rid of "sprinting" jukes/ spins/ hurdles/ R stick moves is to go back to LG controls because you had to let off the "sprint" to do any big moves which allowed the game to have a natural flow to those moves - changing the control scheme was the dumbest thing EA has ever done (well besides the Superman game)! The LG controls made sense, and changing one of the biggest titles ever to be more like soccer (freakin soccer, this is America dumbies soccer is for girls here) is just so beyond idiotic!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Would it be possible to make the running animations ..faster? Like with Ted Ginn it feels like I'm running a 5 flat with him, and for the most part everyone looks like they're jogging
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
I agree with that. In the videos I've seen, some of the running animations in 09 look like fast jogging, even when the player is supposed to be sprinting.
That's what I meant above when I said the animations don't feel "urgent". Totally agree with you...they don't look like they're trying hard enough right now.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
That's what I meant above when I said the animations don't feel "urgent". Totally agree with you...they don't look like they're trying hard enough right now.
Ohh ok, well, hope that means we'll see some improvement! Not sure if it would help or not, but maybe you guys could actually time the running in the game so that 4.3 guys actually run a 4.3

What I mean is like ..um. Well sometimes when im in practice or I break free, I count how long it takes for the ballcarrier to run 40 yards, and usually with players that have 99 speed and 98-99 accel run those 40 yards in about 5 to 5 and a half seconds.. that's 320 lb offensive lineman speed.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 12-30-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison160
This is an awesome system Ian, it just didnt work right. As you obviously already know. The solution to this is simple though. TAKE AWAY CONTROL!!! You always come in here saying you dont want to take away control, but at some point you have to man. Im sorry, but if the user has Brandon Jacobs going upfield and holding the stupid obsolete turbo button, that user should be stripped of all control he has over that guy. You need to force the user to slow down to be able to cut. Not just have it as an "option". Just another reason why the turbo button needs to go. It would be the most amazing thing to be able to only use the left stick to run, and do cuts, hesitations, etc. At some points it would make big backs feel a little more sluggish, but it would definitely be realistic, and make the user feel as if they are actually running and planting with the player instead of skating.
What a revelation(bolded)! lol

The rest of the post is great too. I hope Ian considers this. Something needs to be done to fix the non-existent physics in this game. If an actual physics engine won't be implemented then something else should be done.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #31
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

hello... Ian is it possible to disect 2k5 find out how they were able to perfect the running animation its the best i have seen, every year i buy the next version of madden.. and im sad too say i have to go back to 2k5.. now dont get me wrong.. I still play madden but not as much as i would like.. anyways its great that you are here trying to help make madden better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunNgun034
hello... Ian is it possible to disect 2k5 find out how they were able to perfect the running animation its the best i have seen, every year i buy the next version of madden.. and im sad too say i have to go back to 2k5.. now dont get me wrong.. I still play madden but not as much as i would like.. anyways its great that you are here trying to help make madden better.
Good feedback, but I'd have to disagree on 2k5 having perfect running animations. I seem to remember one of the few universally agreed on complaints in that game were the running animations. Random examples from OS back in the day:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-post357.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...6-post366.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...7-post373.html

I'm definitely not going to knock VC though...I really did like their momentum and plants and stuff, but personally I liked 2k8's running animation quite a bit more...I thought 2k5's was kind of weak.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »