Home

What is the problem with madden player movement

This is a discussion on What is the problem with madden player movement within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: What is the problem with madden player movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
The OP mentioned a lot of things, but I'll talk more specifically about the actual locomotion system / animations. First, please don't use EASW videos as a judge...remember those videos are compressed up to 4X so they look pretty terrible. The longer the play goes on, the worse they get. You can see what I mean here:

&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp

(Minimal compression) ^^^^^

&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp

&nbsp
&nbsp
(Fully compressed) ^^^^^

We're trying like hell to get that fixed for '10...it makes everything look pretty gross...not representative of gameplay at all (PS3 videos compress the most too FWIW).

However I'm not going to disagree that the player movement hasn't been stellar.

Pros:
- Foot plant gets rid of sliding
- Left stick planting (when it works)
- Juke steering/branching

My current problems with it:
- Turn rate is way too high
- No one plays true 'direction change' animations enough
- Agility rating isn't important enough (i.e. doesn't scale the turn rate enough)
- Not enough variety and visual subtleties (like the OP said). Our animations were over compressed and they lost a lot of the subtle motion (like shoulder movement and stuff) that was in the animation.
- Run styles don't look urgent enough
- No prep or setup needed to make moves, especially at high speeds
Ian,

Madden 2010 or Madden 10 whatever you want to call it may still not live up to the hype it gets or it may still not be the football videogame we fans want but your time spent on these boards in answering our questions is much appreciated by me and I am sure I am not alone by saying this. Many thanks to you! this shows that you and Phil care about what we football savy madden players really think..

I hope the end product in 2010 will get us much closer to the way we all envision next gen football to be.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #34
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Man, I'm tired of seeing these spins and jukes. I want to see some QB plants and receivers running routes/DB's defending them!!!! That's normally the huge indicator that movement has improved.

Hook us up Ian
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Man, I'm tired of seeing these spins and jukes. I want to see some QB plants and receivers running routes/DB's defending them!!!! That's normally the huge indicator that movement has improved.

Hook us up Ian
In due time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 31

I love the idea about making agility matter more. One of my biggest problems with this game is differentiating North/South runners (with good or average speed) and shifty backs (with great or average speed).

Some guys are amazingly fast straight line but can't make people miss. Others are average in a straight line but can make multiple players miss while switch directions.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

ian,

speaking of animations. any chance that you guys will get rid of that hideous clothesline tackle which is the most 'blitz" like tackle i have ever seen. it totally ruins the game for me when that happens, i have jacobs running and then all of a sudden caot june just rips him with his left arm/shoulder and absolutely destroys jacobs.

i wish i could find a video of the tackle but i cant , i hope i painted a good picture so you know what i am talking about.

thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 7

I think Madden09 player movement is much better than 2k5(way to stiff for my likeing)
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ARk5
ian,

speaking of animations. any chance that you guys will get rid of that hideous clothesline tackle which is the most 'blitz" like tackle i have ever seen. it totally ruins the game for me when that happens, i have jacobs running and then all of a sudden caot june just rips him with his left arm/shoulder and absolutely destroys jacobs.

i wish i could find a video of the tackle but i cant , i hope i painted a good picture so you know what i am talking about.

thanks
I am pretty sure I know exactly which one you are talking about...is it a gang tackle? The gang tackle has been removed already...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #40
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Ian, you had talked about how you had the tech to overcome a lot of the problems with locomotion. Is this a part of the ANT stuff? Or is it a matter of new animation capturing? I guess my question is really this. How did Fifa get such realisitic looking plants and body weight changes with their running this year? Is that tech stuff or motion capturing the proper animations? Also, I'd like to say that if you guys would come out with Fifa's control scheme for running, I'd be in hog heaven! Thanks for your time...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »