Home

Have The NFL Playoffs Fired you Up for Madden?

This is a discussion on Have The NFL Playoffs Fired you Up for Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
Have The NFL Playoffs Fired you Up for Madden?

If so...how did you feel after you actually started playing the game?

I ask this because the playoffs and the atmosphere and excitement of playoff football caused me to dust off my copy of Madden 09...I was thinking it might just be fun to possibly re-create some of what I've been seeing on TV. Sadly my reality was after a possession or two I felt extremely bored. I'm not going to get into the multitude of reasons why I was bored but I was just curious to see how many other people went through something similar?

The main reasons I felt the boredom were:

Lack of diverse animations...For all of the thousands of animations that are supposedly in this game I really only feel like I'm seeing the same animations over and over and over. Every catch looks the same...every tackle pretty much ends up the same...These are not necessarily BAD things but after seeing them hundreds of times it gets old.

Player Model Diversity: Don't get me wrong...overall the graphics on this game are beautiful but I'm not feeling like there is very much diversity in the models...It appears that there is maybe 1-2 models per position and personally I'd like to see a bit more authenticity at the skill positions and particularly kickers...Kickers still shouldn't be looking all roided up. Along the same lines...How about some diversity in player ability...I want to the feel the difference between Darren Sproles and Julian Peterson...I'm not sure this game captures those diversities at any position.

Lack of Fluidity in Player Movement - I dunno...when I watch players move something seems very robotic and stiff about my players and how they negotiate around the field.

Presentation: Some timely in game on the fly stat overlays to show what players are currently doing or highlight certain tendencies might break up the boredom.

QB Play - I'm telling you if I was in the same room with one of these fools who continually rolls or sprints out I might hurt that person...I will not be happy with this game until there is a complete commitment to the QB position that requires us to have skill to pass and incorporates the strengths and weaknesses that each individual NFL QB posses. The day we have to respect the pocket and be rewarded for standing tall in the pocket will be a monumental day in Madden Football.

Thats just a few of the things that jumped out at me...Hopefully the EA crew can improve on some of these things for Madden 10

Last edited by dat swag; 01-04-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Have The NFL Playoffs Fired you Up for Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
If so...how did you feel after you actually started playing the game?

I ask this because the playoffs and the atmosphere and excitement of playoff football caused me to dust off my copy of Madden 09...I was thinking it might just be fun to possibly re-create some of what I've been seeing on TV. Sadly my reality was after a possession or two I felt extremely bored. I'm not going to get into the multitude of reasons why I was bored but I was just curious to see how many other people went through something similar?

The main reasons I felt the boredom were:

Lack of diverse animations...For all of the thousands of animations that are supposedly in this game I really only feel like I'm seeing the same animations over and over and over. Every catch looks the same...every tackle pretty much ends up the same...These are not necessarily BAD things but after seeing them hundreds of times it gets old.

Player Model Diversity: Don't get me wrong...overall the graphics on this game are beautiful but I'm not feeling like there is very much diversity in the models...It appears that there is maybe 1-2 models per position and personally I'd like to see a bit more authenticity at the skill positions and particularly kickers...Kickers still shouldn't be looking all roided up. Along the same lines...How about some diversity in player ability...I want to the feel the difference between Darren Sproles and Julian Peterson...I'm not sure this game captures those diversities at any position.

Lack of Fluidity in Player Movement - I dunno...when I watch players move something seems very robotic and stiff about my players and how they negotiate around the field.

Presentation: Some timely in game on the fly stat overlays to show what players are currently doing or highlight certain tendencies might break up the boredom.

QB Play - I'm telling you if I was in the same room with one of these fools who continually rolls or sprints out I might hurt that person...I will not be happy with this game until there is a complete commitment to the QB position that requires us to have skill to pass and incorporates the strengths and weaknesses that each individual NFL QB posses. The day we have to respect the pocket and be rewarded for standing tall in the pocket will be a monumental day in Madden Football.

Thats just a few of the things that jumped out at me...Hopefully the EA crew can improve on some of these things for Madden 10
create a blog like I did man and you will feel better about the effort your giving in this thread man..i did the same. you'll be amazed. take my word for it.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15
Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Pro Sports Handicapper

bababooey76's Arena

OVR: 14

The playoffs made me quit playing Madden because it shows me what I have been lying to myself about for a while.....that the game is a shell of its former great self and an absolute bore as far as atmosphere and presentation. Actually going to trade it in this week.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

The only thing the the NFL Playoffs have done is, remind me of how far the Madden franchise really has to go in order to simulate the NFL.

Watching the Ravens game today when Willis broke that long run in the 4th. One of the 1st things I thought about was, how Madden doesn't even have fatigue in the game.

The Ravens pounded the ball for 3 qtrs. and then broke the long one with a fresh back in the 4th.

Impossible to do realisticly in Madden, because of the lack of fatigue.

How in the world can you simulate the NFL without a working fatigue engine?

And don't get me started on the lack of real team tendacies, horrible animations, and such.

Getting the Madden franchise right, is a 2-3 year project at the rate EA is going.

There are just waaay too many 'fundamental' things wrong with the franchise to expect a HUGE leap in one Dev. cycle IMO.

Visually the game is awesome. Outside of that, the game doesn't replicate NFL football that well at all.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 25

The playoffs have me NOT wanting to play Madden, because I watch the excitement of the playoffs and then turn on the game and almost fall asleep trying to get through a "playoff" game in the Franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

I hate to sound like a broken record but this is 2k sports will house.NBA 2k9 atmosphere is exactly the way it should be.The crowd is loud,they stand on there feet when the home team is on a run or its close in the 4th quarter.Every possesion feels important.They really capture the atmosphere of playoff basketball.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

I hear you guys...I was simply hoping that after not playing the game for a few weeks or so I might regain some enthusiasm from the game after seeing the playoffs...I'm just bored outta my wits with the game though. I even went through every playbook and realized that except for a formation or two they are all the same.

I really hate to say this but if I don't see a vast improvement over this years game I'm not sure I'd be compelled to buy Madden 10...That would mark the first time in like 20 years where I haven't bought Madden or had a football game to play..The saddest part is I don't even think this years version is that bad...Its probably the best game we have seen on the new consoles...Its just the boredom of the game thats killing me.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

made me want to start a new franchise in NFL 2k5(No Updated Rosters though just a bunch of CAPs for the Steelers and a few others)

I've been bouncing back between them

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »