Home

Who's to Blame for Cheese Play?

This is a discussion on Who's to Blame for Cheese Play? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14
Re: Who's to Blame for Cheese Play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
Actually it is realistic. When a defense recognizes a play it reeks chaos on an offense because it usually throws off the timing of the play which leads to the offense making more mistakes. The defense is able to be more physical and dictate the action that is going on during the play. Offensive chaos leads to 3 & outs or costly turnovers. Once a defense has a bead on what the offense is trying to do they are in for a long day. Just look at how the Ravens dismantled the Dolphins vanilla on trick pony offense this past weekend.
But those actions result from the defense being in better position and anticipating whats going on right? Instead of the players just dropping the balls and fumbling because they forgot how to catch or hold on to the ball. What your asking for can be done by adaptive AI. Where it knows what is coming, and how to attack it. That's realistic. Players just turnover the ball because their ratings drop isn't.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Agreed it be better and more realistic if the defense adjusted, but that be much tougher to code for then simply making the players drop the ball or fumble when online players were cheesing. If they could code the game perfectly they probably would have by now. This is a simple solution to a big problem.

Lots of things would be great, but that is a simple solution to a huge problem. How many times have you realistically seen a team continuously run the same play again and again? I can think of a few limited examples. I would sacrifice that "realism" to make the game fun online.

It would also not be difficult to make the code active only for online ranked games.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

EA. Who else?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
But those actions result from the defense being in better position and anticipating whats going on right? Instead of the players just dropping the balls and fumbling because they forgot how to catch or hold on to the ball. What your asking for can be done by adaptive AI. Where it knows what is coming, and how to attack it. That's realistic. Players just turnover the ball because their ratings drop isn't.
You are totally correct Joborule and that was where my thought process was when I responded to your original comment. I would like to see this done through defensive AI not players magically fumbling and dropping balls all over the place.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
What your asking for can be done by adaptive AI. Where it knows what is coming, and how to attack it. That's realistic. Players just turnover the ball because their ratings drop isn't.
Exactly, adaptive AI is the way to go imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berland2
I would sacrifice that "realism" to make the game fun online..
!

Also, "it's too hard to code" isn't really an excuse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by berland2
The easiest way to stop cheese is to make plays less effective when you overuse them. In reality defenses would begin to adapt if you ran the same play out of the same formation again and again. Yes, in a few instances a team will run the same play over and over again and dominate in the NFL, but this is a rare. The game AI could react to make bad things (drops, fumbles, etc) happen if you were cheesing.

This seems like it would be easy to program since the game can already remember highlights from the actual game.

The constant no-huddle issue is a little tougher because teams actually do runt his in the NFL and if you add fatigue the defense would have to be affected as well.

Im with you also there is the factor if you run the same defense each time should make a difference too
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

The Blame on Cheese is on the gamer, not the makers of the game. These games are made with complicated coding and there are always going to be faults. Some gamers do nothing but FInd these faults and then exploit them to help them get a great record online.

Does this destroy online gaming . NO WAY! There are plenty of people online that dont cheese and play very legit. When u come across them exchange gamertags for future gaming. I did this and now I have a large amount of friends online to play with that dont cheese at all.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

short answer - people that buy the game. if you were wondering, the long answer is exactly the same. you'll never rid the world of people looking to exploit something for their own personal gain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »