Home

Panthers vs Cardinals

This is a discussion on Panthers vs Cardinals within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Panthers vs Cardinals

Its called Regular Season MVP.

Playoffs acount for 0 in regards to voting for mvp.

By waiting till end of the season, your just giving it to the qb of the team that wins the superbowl the best chance of winning the award. Nullifying about 95% of players.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Its called Regular Season MVP.

Playoffs acount for 0 in regards to voting for mvp.

By waiting till end of the season, your just giving it to the qb of the team that wins the superbowl the best chance of winning the award. Nullifying about 95% of players.
Thats a good point I didnt see it that way, and I can agree with that.

Its not like they dont have a Superbowl MVP, which in turns shows what QB or players helped thier team win it all.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 27

^^^ I don't think it's actually officially designated as "Regular season MVP" it's just NFL MVP. It's just that it's typically based solely on the regular season.

Now I'm not saying wait until after the Super Bowl, but I see no reason why it had to be picked right after the reg season was over. As I pointed out, there have been years where it was picked as late as after the AFC/NFC Championship Games, and I can remember one year it wasn't picked until the week of the Super Bowl.

I just think had they waited to at least after Wildcard week, it might've been a different outcome.

I think in Baseball, they pick the MVP's way after the entire season is over including the championship, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
All Star

I prefer picking it after the regular season. THerefore its an even playing field.

Everyone plays 16 games. Equal chance.

When you start judging after the playoffs. A player thats plays in 18 games and considerably better stats than a person that plays in 16 games.

heck drew brees could have added another 700 yards if he had played two more games.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Being a Redskin fan living in Charlotte ,its great to see the Panthers crash and burn.Please sign Jake to a lifetime contract
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:

When you start judging after the playoffs. A player thats plays in 18 games and considerably better stats than a person that plays in 16 games.

heck drew brees could have added another 700 yards if he had played two more games.
That makes sense, I agree with the thought process about including the whole playoffs. But let's take just the regular season... there were 3 other QB's with better stats than Manning (Brees, Rivers, Warner), and the case can be made that Rivers and Warner were just as important to their team's success as Manning's to the Colts.

Philip Rivers had a statistically better season than Manning in pretty much every single category. Like Manning, he became the centerpiece of his team and a huge reason they were able to pull themselves out of a hole. Manning won MVP. Philip Rivers beat Manning head-to-head.

The only thing Manning had over Rivers this season was more wins and a bigger winning streak. But Rivers stats plus beating Manning head-to-head kinda made me think twice about the timing. I think if Brees' team made the playoffs, Brees might've won it. Honestly, I think it if were any other QB in that spot instead of Manning, that guy wouldn't have won it. Manning's name just carries a lot of weight, and rightfully so, he is a great QB.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #23
All Star

If Brees was 10-6 and in the playoffs. He hands down wins the MVP. But his defense faltered alot. And well, he was just unlucky.

The Chargers finished 8-8 and had no business being in the playoffs. ANd in kind voters suggested that Rivers had no business being in the MVP race. And I think i'm right in saying a lot of people are irked by Rivers.

Manning finished 12-4 and a 9 game winning streak.

In a sport where QB's are given too much credit for wins, and too much blame for losses. Most people think QB's win games, instead of teams win games.

Thats why Flacco was so high on many peoples radars although his production was dwarved by Ryan.

If it were purely on stats, thats the OPTY award and Drew Brees easily won it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
If Brees was 10-6 and in the playoffs. He hands down wins the MVP. But his defense faltered alot. And well, he was just unlucky.
Yeah, I believe the same thing there. He's wasting his talents out there. Imagine what he could do on a good team?

Quote:
The Chargers finished 8-8 and had no business being in the playoffs. ANd in kind voters suggested that Rivers had no business being in the MVP race. And I think i'm right in saying a lot of people are irked by Rivers.
I didn't know there was so much against Rivers. That's interesting. That's kinda messed up though. I mean, Rivers really had a great season. A spotty receiving core. LT on the decline... was a big reason they climbed back from that 4-8 record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »