Home

Madden 2010 coming to PC?

This is a discussion on Madden 2010 coming to PC? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Madden 2010 coming to PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus
Wasn't madden 09 on PC?
Nope.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Pc games are far too easy to pirate.
Pretty lazy excuse, online activation is fairly sturdy. Plus there is no fundamental flaw in PC gaming - quality sells. A downloaded pirated copy isn't as simple as saying a lost sale, the pirater may never have considered purchasing it if he or she couldn't download it.

The impact of piracy on PC gaming sales in the real world could potentially be as insignificant (or as significant?) as how much console game rentals impacts on console game sales. Both offer a try before you by style of play, and in the real world, renting itself can lead to piracy - I know people who rent Wii games and simply burn them, I imagine it's no different for 360 at least. I know it was common for PSX, PS2, Xbox etc.

It's arguable the amount of time and money spent to combat piracy on the PC could be better directed towards making a better game. Sins of a Solar Empire, which famously took a anti-piracy protection stance, sold like hotcakes. Unfortunately, EASports aren't interested in being serious on the PC platform and that ultimately was responsible for poor sales, not "piracy" as is the easy and convenient scapegoat. Not that piracy can help (I imagine those trying before buying then actually buying aren't too frequent), but good PC games overcome it.

How's that for some bulletin board material.

Last edited by Nza; 01-13-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

it would be cool if that allow user customization for the PC, that would be huge. And EA is generally pretty good about this so we will see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8

Dam I remember playing like 06 or maybe 03 on PC... Not sure which one.
NHL - New Jersey Devils
Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 31

PC is great. You can get accurate rosters, pictures, uniforms just about everything that you want updated you can mod.

Over at football freaks they cracked the playbook limit and made their own editor (which for me is the biggest thing in football games).

Anyway Madden 08 was great on the PC but I would hope that like NBA 2k9 they would port a 360 version over and start the PC again. It may not sell a lot but there are fan bases that only buy PC games and put a lot of time into the game.

--Forgot to mention NZA has a great roster/franchise editor too!! Much props to all the guys who worked on the Madden editors/mods over the years. I hope we can get back to that real soon.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Video game devs will likely NEVER be able to create a fully featured simulation of college or professional football without the input and work of the user community.

PC games have always had the advantage over console games due to the customization and modding capabilities and EA seems to have forgotten that.

The best sports sim games of the last 4-5 years have been the text based sims on the PC. I don't expect the game developer to waste dev time on accurate rosters... that's a user community task IMO.

Also, the argument that PC games don't bring in money is somewhat misleading. Here's a quote from an NCAA dev (Greg) over at NCAAStrategies:

"Just to add more information to the break down of the $60, we don't get the rest of the money after the MS/Sony fee. A good share of that money goes to the retailer and some other things as well (I could have sworn I read about a generic breakdown on gamasutra.com a while back...I'll try to find the article or see if I can post an example from our studio). In the end, studios get more in the ballpark of $10-20 per sale of a game on the consoles. We do get a little bit more money for PC as there are fewer license fees to pay."
Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Video game devs will likely NEVER be able to create a fully featured simulation of college or professional football without the input and work of the user community.

PC games have always had the advantage over console games due to the customization and modding capabilities and EA seems to have forgotten that.

The best sports sim games of the last 4-5 years have been the text based sims on the PC. I don't expect the game developer to waste dev time on accurate rosters... that's a user community task IMO.

Also, the argument that PC games don't bring in money is somewhat misleading. Here's a quote from an NCAA dev (Greg) over at NCAAStrategies:

"Just to add more information to the break down of the $60, we don't get the rest of the money after the MS/Sony fee. A good share of that money goes to the retailer and some other things as well (I could have sworn I read about a generic breakdown on gamasutra.com a while back...I'll try to find the article or see if I can post an example from our studio). In the end, studios get more in the ballpark of $10-20 per sale of a game on the consoles. We do get a little bit more money for PC as there are fewer license fees to pay."
Yes, but the VOLUME in PC sales just is not there like it used to be. Even if they "make a little more" off of each PC game, they still need to actually SELL a ton of them to cover development costs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Which they never had a chance of doing reprinting the same PS2 era engine year after year with little effort directed to making the PC version unique in any way, with absolutely zero effort in the way of marketing the PC version. EASports got the return they did based on the effort they showed.

And the sad thing is, it was always still the better version of Madden and arguably still is compared to 09 360/PS3, but that's more due to the combination of the old engine being good still and the natural strengths of PC more tha anything EA did with the PC game. It had a boat load of unlocked potential.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »