Home

Defensive line shifts

This is a discussion on Defensive line shifts within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Defensive line shifts

Hello. In continuance of my suggestions for rather radical changes to NCAA/Madden, I would like to discuss defensive line shifts. Am I the only one that thinks that these probably need to be taken out of the game? Sorry if there are other threads about this.

Here's my argument. First, a lot of the alignments that you get by pinching, spreading, or shifting the line from one side to the other are alignments that no team would ever use in real life. That right there is a reason to take them out of the game. Now, ideally the blocking AI would be such that it could punish people that shift irresponsibly, but every year, these alignments (particularly the pinched alignment) seems to cause various problems for the blocking AI, particularly with regard to run blocking (although last year it caused problems for pass blocking as well). So yes, fix the blocking AI, but in my mind, there's really no reason to keep these line shifts in the game, because once you do fix the blocking AI, they will immediately become irrelevant and useless.

Wouldn't it be better to get rid of the line shifts, and then replace them with more robust line stants/stunts that better simulate what teams do in real life with their defensive line? Or maybe have some way to audible into different fronts (over/under, bear, etc...)? It just seems to me that the defensive line shifting is unrealistic at it's core, and like some of the other remnants of days past, is taking the place of more realistic features.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Defensive line shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Hello. In continuance of my suggestions for rather radical changes to NCAA/Madden, I would like to discuss defensive line shifts. Am I the only one that thinks that these probably need to be taken out of the game? Sorry if there are other threads about this.

Here's my argument. First, a lot of the alignments that you get by pinching, spreading, or shifting the line from one side to the other are alignments that no team would ever use in real life. That right there is a reason to take them out of the game. Now, ideally the blocking AI would be such that it could punish people that shift irresponsibly, but every year, these alignments (particularly the pinched alignment) seems to cause various problems for the blocking AI, particularly with regard to run blocking (although last year it caused problems for pass blocking as well). So yes, fix the blocking AI, but in my mind, there's really no reason to keep these line shifts in the game, because once you do fix the blocking AI, they will immediately become irrelevant and useless.

Wouldn't it be better to get rid of the line shifts, and then replace them with more robust line stants/stunts that better simulate what teams do in real life with their defensive line? Or maybe have some way to audible into different fronts (over/under, bear, etc...)? It just seems to me that the defensive line shifting is unrealistic at it's core, and like some of the other remnants of days past, is taking the place of more realistic features.

Thoughts?
Rhombic, this is what I tried to get 2k to do with 2k8 but they didn't have time to install it properly. Instead of the line shifts, have front shifts. Unfortunately EA has conditioned people and they are not going to get along without their line shifts. 2k got blasted for not having them in 2k8. EA will not make that mistake, although I'm all for it. Give us real fronts instead. But alas...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Agreed!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

There are some rare instances, both in college and the NFL, when the defense just knows the play is going right or left (i.e. goal line situations, 4th and inches) -- in those situations a shift would be beneficial...

However, the way shifts are used now -- to apply pressure to the offense are not necessary in real life. That's where the proposed stunts would come into play (provided the defensive players take appropriate angles of attack and attack gaps -- not the player in front of them..)

I'm confident Ian has a great understanding of the game -- it seems easier on paper but i'm sure it's difficult to get a concept into code. I look forward to the next update from the crew...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »