Home

Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"?

This is a discussion on Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Next Gen Football...where's the "fun"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Homie your missing the whole point about the vision cone. While your concerns was that your opponents saw who u was staring down , is the same exact reason why I love it. You know how many times I looked one way to make the oppoenet go away from where I wanted to throw. It was insane. The vision cone made routes like the chair route a success, or the pump or go. The Vision cone was insane and very realistic to use.

I would stare down a slot wr doing a out, the player would jump to double team thus leaving my steaking WR 1 on 1 with no safety help. The vision cone also helped when player loved playing zone defenses only. It helped braking the zone apart.

I guess it all depends on how well you knew how to use it. Better Line make it a options. For those that dont get it , so they can turn it off for us that do know how to feak it u can turn it on.

Vision Cone was a feature that once learned it became a perk. U play me and see for yourself. You will qucikly learn to play your defensive assigment and not my looks cause ill have you running all over the place lol.
I totally agree with ya and to take it a realistic step further...IN the NFL how do elite DB's get picks???...They read the QB's eyes and if they are staring down a WR that Route is getting jumped by the DB for a pick 6. So for me I even was OK with the beam of light because I think it represented a realistic concept of what defenders read and how a QB looks off defenders in that ongoing chess match between QB and the Defensive Secondary.

Now in my hear of hearts I really think that people who didn't see the relevance of the Vision Cone simply thought it made passing too hard...despite the fact that it offered realism...THus they used the Beam of Light as the excuse to force EA to do away with it. These are the players who generally have no balance in their attack and just want to pass 300 times a game...Lord knows that prior the VC passing was as easy and simple as 1-2-3 just like it is nowadays...The passing game has literally no skill involved...The only skill in passing is taking advantage of borderline glitchery animations such as Rocket Catching and other things that have a success rate that defies logic and reality.

Last edited by dat swag; 01-19-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #26
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
^^ I have to agree with the Vision Cone thing. Yeah, the cone itself was sightly. But it was a step towards innovation and realism which most of us can appreciate. Now the cone was a b*tch to use, but had they kept at it, and continued evolving it, it could be a well-matured feature by now. Could you imagine such a feature implemented along with proper OL/DL interaction?

There's so much innovation left on the table with the passing game. I look at games like NFL Fever 2004 which had 3 options of passing and wonder where the innovation has gone in football games?

I found the vision cone extremely easy to use and this is why. Alot of player werent aware of a few things, and that was placing the vision cone before the snap of the ball.

This is how I handled it ,and im so glad the vision cone was in Madden 08 for the PC. it works great.

I would hold down the R tirgger before the snap then hit the A button.
This would make the vision cone appear right down the middle of the field when I snapped the ball, now the Defense doesnt really know where im going.

Now as I snap the ball I hold down the R tirgger. You hold it down the whole time never let it go. While holding it down I would HIT B to look at the B wr and B again to throw the ball. Thats it. It was very easy. Since I was using the vision cone it also gave me the options of throwing the ball to the part of the wr body i felt was away from the defender.

The throws I would make with the cone I can never pull off with out. Throwing over LB's that are over the middle and in between the safeties was tuff with out the cone. With the Cone no problem.

Vision cone was a great idea with some small adjustments it would have been even better. Like some mentioned the cones for Payton and Brady were very big and that was true. Just make it smaller cause having a cone almost asbig as 75% of the field doesnt make sense. Half the field yes I can see that, not the 75%.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
I totally agree with ya and to take it a realistic step further...IN the NFL how do elite DB's get picks???...They read the QB's eyes and if they are staring down a WR that Route is getting jumped by the DB for a pick 6. So for me I even was OK with the beam of light because I think it represented a realistic concept of what defenders read and how a QB looks off defenders in that ongoing chess match between QB and the Defensive Secondary.

Now in my hear of hearts I really think that people who didn't see the relevance of the Vision Cone simply thought it made passing too hard...despite the fact that it offered realism...THus they used the Beam of Light as the excuse to force EA to do away with it. These are the players who generally have no balance in their attack and just want to pass 300 times a game...Lord knows that prior the VC passing was as easy and simple as 1-2-3 just like it is nowadays...The passing game has literally no skill involved...The only skill in passing is taking advantage of borderline glitchery animations such as Rocket Catching and other things that have a success rate that defies logic and reality.
OMG THX U so much for understanding the value of the vision cone.

You are the man!!!!!!!!!!!

Ea needs to add a video turtorial on how to use the cone. Alot of players really didnt know how to use it. Thus making it a fustrating feature for them to utilize.
I seen it time after time, and once I tought them they loved it.

I use it now and I want to continue using it. Hopefull this will make it in Madden 2010.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
On the bright side EA can give us what we want...They have the resources, support and talent...Just look at what has been done with NBA LIVE in a few short years...That game was a doormat less than 3 years ago and now its on the verge of equaling and surpassing 2k Basketball..I personally think its better than 2k but thats another thread for another time.

In mentioning LIVE there is just something innately FUN about the game...From art work, player models and animations there is a level of feeling like your experiencing something new in each game. The game is far from perfect but its fun and one thing its not is boring...If EA Canada can do it with LIVE and Hockey...why not Tiburon???..It can happen and I want very much to believe it can and will happen. Having bought my next gen consoles soley for Madden I need it to happen or else its boring *** board games and karaoke ...Lets Go Ian and Crew I'm counting on ya...Its time to have an energy grink and a few hallucinogens and take this game to the next level
Amen Brutha...I LOVE NBA Live this year...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Homie your missing the whole point about the vision cone. While your concerns was that your opponents saw who u was staring down , is the same exact reason why I love it. You know how many times I looked one way to make the oppoenet go away from where I wanted to throw. It was insane. The vision cone made routes like the chair route a success, or the pump and go. The Vision cone was insane and very realistic to use.

I would stare down a slot wr doing a out, the player would jump to double team thus leaving my steaking WR 1 on 1 with no safety help. The vision cone also helped when player loved playing zone defenses only. It helped braking the zone apart.

I guess it all depends on how well you knew how to use it. Better Line make it a options. For those that dont get it , so they can turn it off for us that do know how to feak it u can turn it on.

Vision Cone was a feature that once learned it became a perk. U play me and see for yourself. You will qucikly learn to play your defensive assigment and not my looks cause ill have you running all over the place lol.

Players need to stop focusing on why it doesnt work , and put the same effort on how to make it work.
And I used it the same way. I just think it helped people too much as(IMO)I think it made it easier to anticipate where someone was going. The majority of the time, you are not throwing to the first receiver the cone is on.

I love the idea but I think this needs to be done without a giant flashlight on the field. They need to bring back the mechanics of it but elimate the theatrics. It would be sweet to have to go through the progression with a simple movement of the analog stick. It would take alot of finesse and ease, so people that master it would be great.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #30
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

I want to see people on the sideline react. Also, when someone runs to a sideline, they shouldnt just run through them, I want them to run into other players. See the sideline react. Ya dig?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would like for the vision cone to be an option in Madden 10. Obviously it isn't a popular feature and should likely be left off by default, but as someone who almost exclusively uses the franchise mode, I found the vision cone to be an excellent way to make the awareness rating matter for user QBs. Granted, I was terrible using the cone (partially because I typically had terrible QBs in my franchises), but it was a fun handicap that made for some good offseason "drama" over whether to go with the old vet or the young guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #32
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I couldn't agree more with this thread, I've spent most of my time playing NCAA Football '08 and NFL 2K5 for my football gaming over the last five months.

NCAA '09 and Madden on PS3/360 were poor games that were also boring as hell. If a game isn't gonna be all that great, it should at least be fun. Both EA games this year were lacking in both departments.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »