Home

Let's Talk Sim

This is a discussion on Let's Talk Sim within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Let's Talk Sim

Madden should be Sim and NFL Tour should be the CheeseFactory. I do not understand why they do this? Madden in a way reminds me of WWF back in the 1980s and early 90s with all the highlights and stuff... scrap all of that and make it feel like an NFL Experience. Apexisfree once stated in one of his videos that NFL Blitz is more Sim than Madden.

Will it be Sim this year for 2010? In Ian we trust.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon

Also, saying that the definition of "sim" has some slight variations is an understatement at best lol.
Heyyyy... I did say "at least" lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Sadly those of us who truly want a sim experience are not in the majority and the best we'll be able to do is tweak an arcade game with sliders to get a game close to where we think it needs to be. This is why we need and should have a ton of sliders in this game going forward.
Yep, very true. Now what I wonder is, are the lack of more or at least as many options as the other EA Sports games a matter of the past Madden teams not thinking anyone really cared, or is there some unique technical issue part of Madden that's made this too risky?

If the game was arcade out the box but we could tweak it, I'd be happy with just that provided the tweaking actually makes a difference. I think we've all experience the frustration of finding out that a slider in Madden has no impact on what was intended, so I'd like to see that come to an end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
That's what the difficulty levels are for. IMO, sim is not about the results... scores, total yard, ect., its about how the game plays and moves. IMO, a simulation doesn't have to alienate anyone. Those wanting more big plays can play on a lower difficulty. Those wanting results more in line with NFL averages can play on higher difficulty levels.

I feel EA should be able to separate difficulty level and realism. Gamers should be able to experience a realistic 50-45 game as well as a realistic 10-7 game. Realism shouldn't mean you can't rush for 250 yards or pass for 400. Realism shouldn't mean you can't have 5 pics. These things happen in the NFL.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I say I want a simulation, I'm talking about the game looking like football. I want to see DEs getting up the field and pockets forming, incompletions that end up on the ground, double team blocks, realistic special teams, ect. None of this eliminates big plays.
This.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
That's what the difficulty levels are for. IMO, sim is not about the results... scores, total yard, ect., its about how the game plays and moves. IMO, a simulation doesn't have to alienate anyone. Those wanting more big plays can play on a lower difficulty. Those wanting results more in line with NFL averages can play on higher difficulty levels.

I feel EA should be able to separate difficulty level and realism. Gamers should be able to experience a realistic 50-45 game as well as a realistic 10-7 game. Realism shouldn't mean you can't rush for 250 yards or pass for 400. Realism shouldn't mean you can't have 5 pics. These things happen in the NFL.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I say I want a simulation, I'm talking about the game looking like football. I want to see DEs getting up the field and pockets forming, incompletions that end up on the ground, double team blocks, realistic special teams, ect. None of this eliminates big plays.
Co sign.

I don't want the game to be forced to give me 2.3 sacks a game, 1.3 interceptions a game, etc, etc....

Like BezO, I want a game that plays like the game...
If it looks and feels realistic-ish, I am all for it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I'd personally love a game where I had limited user control over certain areas of the gameplay to make the game more realistic, but I know there are thousands of gamers who would hate any restrictions. Sadly those of us who truly want a sim experience are not in the majority and the best we'll be able to do is tweak an arcade game with sliders to get a game close to where we think it needs to be. This is why we need and should have a ton of sliders in this game going forward.
The thing about it is, how do we truely know that we are not the majority? The thing about online is it is full of copycats. People play Madden the way that they do because they played against someone that was successfull using that method. If EA actually made a true football game, maybe the cheesers would be the minority.

With great power comes great responsibility. There are plenty of big decisions that are made just to play it safe and not take a risk. Think of how many movies are greenlit that were never thought would succeed, yet they end up blowing the doors off the hinges. Madden needs to be the same way. Look at Obama..We want a freakin change! I want a real NFL GAME, that punishes my mistakes and forces me to think like a real NFL coach would. 2k5 was like this, I'm starting to realize APF is even like this. Madden needs to step up their game... In IAN we trust...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
The thing about it is, how do we truely know that we are not the majority?
Being a sim gamer in today's sports gaming world isn't just about how you play the game, but also how you prepare and test your game.

The majority of Madden players never touch a slider. The majority of Madden players have never looked at a CPU/CPU game to get statistical averages.

Sim is half numbers and half realism and gameplay. I think most Madden players would come around to playing the game in a sim manner if they were forced to, but caring about the statistical realism is something that will always be a niche.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 20

OK, first off I really would like a game that gave sim like statistics but only if it did it in a sim like manner. Yes, a team might average 20 points a game, but that is because sometimes they score 30 or 40 and sometimes they are held to single didgets. A team might run for 110 yards a game but some games they might run for 250 and sometimes might get held to 40. A QB might average 1 pick per game but that is because they sometimes throw 2 or 3 or even 5 and sometimes they dont throw any. Just because a guy throws 32 touchdowns in a season doesnt mean he will throw 2 every game. There needs to be variety there so every game doesn't play exactly the same.

Also, I have no problem with a team only averaging 3 or 4 big plays per game. Looking at that list most teams averaged at least 5 big plays plus big plays allowed per game and most were in the 6 to 7 range. Therefor it isn't like big plays don't happen. One of my big complaints about madden has always been that there are to many big plays. When there is a big play every drive it really takes the excitement out of the big play.

Also, when there are 5 ints per game or 200 rushing yards per game or 400 passing yards per game then in franchise my players stats are alway way off of all the other teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »