Home

Tiburon layoffs?

This is a discussion on Tiburon layoffs? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: Layoffs Hit EA Studios Including Tiburon!!

Last year our local "mom n' pop" hardware store let go of about 8 of its 35 full time employees, right around this same time.

Come December, as they normally do, they rented out a local bar for the night to hold an annual Christmas party.

Through January the people who lost jobs wrote to our papers, protested (peacefully) and begged people to not shop. They said if times were so hard they couldn't remain employed, then renting a bar for a Christmas party should have been nixed too.

I cant help but think of that when it comes to EA, obviously on a much larger scale. They cut jobs, but not acquisitions. If you cant make your own items and work profitable, why would you feel like you could make another persons?

EA's take over of the NFL and Nascar license put a good bit of jobs out the door at 2k and Papyrus, and while peoples jobs should never be looked at as fair play. You cant help but wonder if all this buying out and shutting down others through exclusivity deals isnt coming back to bite them. Alot of gamers with a bad view toward EA, unfortunately some innocent victims got caught up in that.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #50
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Tiburon layoffs?

it would not surprise me if the layoffs had nothing to do with video game sales, it may be a factor definately but big companies like EA are losing wayyyyy more money from other investments that they had, imagine if EA had stock in GM like my company did when GM and Lehman stock went down the company let 200 people go

did i mention i worked at a university, now if a university fired people most would assume students were not applying for that school well wrong they were still turning away most students to accept the best only....

companies like EA have projections and bad sales are a part of the plan, but losing money on wall street is whats driving most companies down,

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #51
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Yes

Phil
Way to chime in Phil....lol. Anyways we know that even with the layoffs we'll still get a great madden game next year, they probably just trimmed the fat and can focus more money on the game rather than some of the employees that didn't have as much as an impact....

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #52
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Way to chime in Phil....lol....
Just an FYI, you quoted someone from January of 2009, the first round of layoffs. Yesterday was the second round of layoffs.

They merged the threads together.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #53
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

good call roadman, first time I saw this thread on here so I didn't realize it was a continuation for an older one...I'll look at timestamps from now on...

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #54
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Layoffs Hit EA Studios Including Tiburon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I feel bad for anyone that has to go through this,especially now.
I do however have a question....if EA is going to be laying folks off,why are and how are they still buying these companies?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176838

Instead of focusing on buying all these companies,shouldn't they be concerned about their staff?

EA is a corporation and that's how corps and that's how they do business. If they believe the purchase of stock in another successful company will increase their sharehholder's value then they buy the stock. sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

While i'm sure EA is still bringing home the bacon from game sales, its stock holdings are probably suffering. it should come as no surprise that they are laying off. then entire world is going the a period of layoffs and downsizing. I would say for a company like EA that has grown so much and extended its branches all over the gaming industry, a little regression may be just what the doctor orderd.

As someone already said, their focus on games like Def Jam, Mirrors Edge etc. has not resulted in a good return on their dollar. Refocusing their efforts on the flagship brands (madden, FIFA, Live) is probably going to become more of a priority.

I'm not sure how well a game like brutal legend did but it was a risky move. A large company like EA can't afford to take risks on every venture.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #55
Rookie

idesign2's Arena

OVR: 7

Orlando Sentinel says 51 lost their jobs at Tiburon.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...fs-in-Maitland
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 4
Lightbulb Re: Tiburon layoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Sadly, it's a sign of the times.
naw man, the unemployment rate is only 4% if you only include the people with bachaelor's degrees.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »