Home

Madden 2010 better have that online fair play thing back

This is a discussion on Madden 2010 better have that online fair play thing back within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 2010 better have that online fair play thing back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
i'll try find the stat that makes going for it on 4th down every time make more sense than punting.
this is a ridiculous argument. while you may have a decent shot at converting a 4th down the consequences of not converting could result in great scoring opportunities for your opponent. Its called game theory. If i go for it on 4th and 3 on my opponents 40 yard line I don't relinquish too much field position if I fail. If i go for it on 4th and 3 on my own 20 I need to comfortable with potentially giving my opponent a free 3 points at minimum
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

the whole point of his argument is who goes for on 4th down on their own 20 yard line in the 1st quarter. FAIR PLAY was designed to make it a more sim experience and it did not prevent you from going for it on 4th just inside your territory and in the first half it was based on the situation it also made sure both teams has a good number of possesions
Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 26

There was an article done that there were teams IRL going for it on every down, onside kicks, and always going for 2 point conversions. The statistics were from HS level and may or may not be the same for NFL standards.

The mental aspect of it is what really messes with everything(stats specifically). A team that always goes for it on 4th down doesnt feel as much pressure to convert as a team that only goes for it a total of 20 times a season. The defense that is on the field at the time gets mentally worn out because they now have to stop a team 4 downs instead of 3. It happens to the user who gets frustrated that they cant stop the other team.

It happened last night in the Chargers VS Steelers. The Chargers should have known better then to try and "count" on their defense to stop the steelers(The steelers had over 400 yards offensively at the time where they were down 7 points with 4 and change left on the clock) They would have been better off doing an onside kick. Even if didnt recover it would take less time off the play clock for the steelers to man handle the chargers defense for a score. Thus giving them the ball with more then 1 min left on the clock to make 2 scores.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre100672
the whole point of his argument is who goes for on 4th down on their own 20 yard line in the 1st quarter. FAIR PLAY was designed to make it a more sim experience and it did not prevent you from going for it on 4th just inside your territory and in the first half it was based on the situation it also made sure both teams has a good number of possesions
So if a team was behind in the 4th quarter, but on their own 40 yd line, they couldn't go for it, but if their were on the other team's 49 yard line, they could go for it?

That doesn't make sense to me.

There's nothing "sim" about that kind of strategy. What coach says "okay guys, we have to punt on 4th and 1 on our own 40 yd line even though there's 1:20 left in the game and we have no time outs"?

Last edited by KBLover; 10-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »