Home

Dont use avgs to determine SIM ball

This is a discussion on Dont use avgs to determine SIM ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Dont use avgs to determine SIM ball

You can not use avgs in determining certain aspects of football as some may think.
ESPECIALLY The simulation aspect of it, and creating sliders. No way im sorry.

On another post the OP put up a avg that showed the Ravens make 4.1 big plays a game, making it boring to make a game sim. No this is not correct and this is why we cannot use avgs. This is where using avgs confuses many , and is the main reason why sliders when being posted get changed so many times. Its Hilarious. Ver1a, ver 1b ,ver, 1c ,ver 1d, and then 3 months later ver 4z.

The avg doesnt show what games where the Ravens got thier big plays. Each games provides diifferent outcomes, and if u use avgs your going to mess yourself up and forget about the whole idea that some game have more big plays than others. Your going to forget that everygame is different. Some more actions packed than others.,

Here are 3 examples why avgs cant be used.

Example #1
Ravens vs Giants wk10. Giants destroyed the Ravens.
Ravens defense were #1 in the NFL against the run. Have not allowed a RB to gain over a 100yrds since the previous season. It is now week 10 of the 2008 season, and the Giants gained 207yrds. Well above the Ravens avg.
Ravens only allowed 1 rushing Td prior to this game for the 2008 season. Thats means there avg is below 1, well the Ravens gave up 2 rushing TDs.

Now if this happen in your game, your going to say well this is bs because the Ravens only avg giving up 58yrds rushing a game, and I just played a game were the giants gained 207yrds.

See by using avgs u throw yourself off, and dont realize that games like this happen.

Example #2
Osi Umeniyora
Finished the 2007 season with a total of 13 sacks. 6 of them came in one gm, and he had 8 gms with 0 sacks, but if u used the avgs. Well he pretty much avg 1 sack per game.

Again someone would say Osi avgs about 1 sck per game and I had 8 gms were he got 0. This isnt right. The game is messed up with its rating.

Example #3
Gaints had a team total of 42 sacks as a team when the regular season ended.
They avg 2.6 sacks per game, but thats not how it happened. This is why avgs can confuse you and should not be associated with SIM football.

In the 1st 8 gms the Giants generated 30 sacks. WOW 30 , so if u went by avgs then that means they can get about 60 for the season. Well they only got 12 more for the remainding 8 gms, and 3 of those gms resulted in 0 sacks for the game, and 2 more resulted in just 1 sack.

Ok ok I wont say what a gamer will say but I hope u get my point.

One more example(The best one)
Adrian Peterson wk 17 vs the Giants gained 103 yrds rushing out of 21 atts. This determined that his avg per rush was 4.9. Damn that awesome. What it doesnt tell u is that he had 1 run for 67yrds. That means in the other 20 attmepts he had only 36yrds total, so then his avg now drops to 1.8 yrds. Now you see why that 4.9 is misleading.
He had a horrible day basically, but got that 1 run that now gives a different perception to what really took place.

AVG has nothing at all to do with sim. This is something used for Contract negotiations, and helps for perperation but not the outcome.
The meaning of Sim is really very simple. realism. The things that happen are happening realistically.

Big plays are determine by the user or Player for that day. Some days u get off and some days u dont. Its that simple.

In the BCS game Oklahoma avg over 51pts a gm this season, and had 5 gms in a row where they scored over 60pts. they didnt even score 20pts.

Plz when anlyzing a game or sliders dont use the avgs. You will always be 2nd quessing yourself.

If u end up using avgs you wont understand why some games are highscoring , the other was low scoring, or a Blowout.

Plz lets not relate avgs to determine the meaning of SIM. It truly doesnt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Dont use avgs to determine SIM ball

Tyrant, that is a double negative - nobody really looks at the AVG - it is about the ratio of touchdown and interception... rushing yardage... etc
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
Tyrant, that is a double negative
Please explain how it is a DOUBLE NEGATIVE...that is in no way relevant to anything he said.

I agree with him 100%
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Please explain it to me if you dont mind. I always welcome a different perspective.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

You need to understand the game of football, it has nothing to do with AVG it has to do with getting a W in the record column. it is a game where you either run the ball or pass the ball, any means nessecary to score.

just cause the Avg is wrong in Madden doesnt mean it has to be right in the real world - think about this, Tyrant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
You need to understand the game of football, it has nothing to do with AVG it has to do with getting a W in the record column. it is a game where you either run the ball or pass the ball, any means nessecary to score.

just cause the Avg is wrong in Madden doesnt mean it has to be right in the real world - think about this, Tyrant.
you didn't read his post did you?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:

Thats not what im saying , and If how I worded it made you think that then im sorry.

Your opening statement leans towards what I was saying.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Please explain how it is a DOUBLE NEGATIVE...that is in no way relevant to anything he said.

I agree with him 100%
Thxs man. My whole purpose to writing this post was to change the perception on the meaning of avgs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »