Home

Madden 10 DLC

This is a discussion on Madden 10 DLC within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #25
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden 10 DLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I can't imagine any game developer designing and implementing a feature they love and CHOOSING to leave it out just to screw over their gamers and wait for the next year...that would be downright criminal!

Im sorry Ian, you probably weren't even involved in the situation Im about to remind everybody about, but EA has not been innocent

Anyone remember Madden 07's alt uniforms??? Only after a huge outcry from sports gamers who got the major gaming sites to listen to them did those things come out for free, like they were last gen. Stadiums were still sold for a price

look at Chip Langes response from a 06 ign interview

IGN Sports: But some of the things you are talking about, like jerseys and stadiums, I think people have grown to expect that for free.

Chip Lange: I'm hoping when people see what we are offering, it's stuff they wouldn't expect for free. It wasn't free to make and it's stuff that we've done after the games have been done. When I look at it, and we've talked to Madden customers, we've talked to NBA customers, and would you rather have access to this stuff or not? We can go build it, and you know what, I don't like going to Marketplace and not seeing stuff for the games I love to play. This is what they've been asking for and that's what we're trying to give them.

Maybe I was taking it the wrong way but I took those two statements as

1. Yeah we're charging you for them now because we have the means to
2. Deal with it, we're all ya got

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 01-29-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Id have a real problem paying for ps3 content if it was simply included on the ps2 version. that would be my only concern. so no, i couldn't pay for content that was free on another platform.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I bought DLC for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, well worth it imo.

But i would pay for some DLC for Madden that would not normally be found in the game.

Like another team of Broadcaster or ESPN overlays.

Actually Ian you should talk to your bosses to see if they would allow a ESPN overlays and music DLC, I would pay for that.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 7

I think DLC is wonderful, as long as it is a meritorious addition to the game rather than a fix that remedies something that should already exist in the game. Bethesda's DLC for Oblivion and Fallout 3 are nice examples (minus the horse armor).

But what do you do for a sports game? I don't want to (and probably shouldn't have to) pay for a complete franchise experience. I believe that should come on the disc via my initial purchase. Throwback jerseys and old stadiums like Buffalo's Rockpile are great nuggets, but if they were offered as DLC it should be pretty inexpensive. What would be great to offer as DLC for Madden would be a thorough, robust uniform/stadium editor. Perhaps a small program that would allow us extensive customization options regarding logos, jersey designs, etc. No offense, but if I'm running a franchise and decide the Browns are headed to LA, I'd rather not have to make them the Tiburon Sharks, if ya catch my drift.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 8

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC especially if its a major add on that changes gameplay by adding features, improving AI, something along those lines. Other major game titles add new maps, weapons, modes, and it breathes new life into the game by making it feel new again. I'd like to see this for Madden.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTown
I wouldn't mind paying for extra announce crews IF AND ONLY IF they came with the whole presentation... Like FOX, CBS and ESPN crews with the score board art work and the stats art work... They would also have to be useable in franchise. Like NFC games are played on FOX with Troy and Buck and Chris and Todd would have the AFC games on CBS and then your monday night football would have Mike and Tony on ESPN. That I wouldn't mind paying for.
This is where I was hoping the topic would....I am sorry if I offended some people even bringing it up but i thought it would lead to an intelligent discussion. This is, after all, a discussion forum.

Now the quote above me is what I would absolutely pay for. Maybe not new features but an enhancement of features already in the game. Maybe some other things would be extended Superbowl presentation pack. I am specifically speaking on items deemed to large for the disk.

Reoccurring revenue is the name of the game.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Personally, I love discussing the topic of DLC, especially pay-DLC, because it is such an unbelievably slippery slope that can so quickly turn the gaming media against you...some examples:
http://kotaku.com/5137664/skate-2-dl...-lazy-consumer
http://kotaku.com/370694/ea-charging...ompany-weapons

I definitely have my own (strong) opinions about PDLC, but I'm really curious what you guys think. Where would you draw the line with a game like Madden? In your opinion, what features/unlocks/additions do you think are feasible to pay for, and what features aren't?

Just to kick things off, IMO unlocking art assets that are on the disc should never be an option (i.e. you have an old stadium on the disc but make people pay to use it)...that's just not cool.
Ian, my take is that for Skate it's fine (and I think Tiger Woods has done similar), because some people just don't have the time to unlock everything. I personally wouldn't spend my money on that, but as an option it's fine with me.

The Battlefield weapons leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, that does seem like you're getting way too little. That'd be like selling super speed shoes for Madden and allowing people to use them online. Added features are cool, but stuff that nerf my gameplay experience sucks.

The issue at hand gets interesting with Madden because it's not like you'd be adding on maps or something huge...it's tough to make sure the fan feels like they're getting their money's worth, but still make it profitable.

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes, because no matter what decide you'll have people here screaming "Cut off his head" like they're the Queen of Hearts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Personally, I love discussing the topic of DLC, especially pay-DLC, because it is such an unbelievably slippery slope that can so quickly turn the gaming media against you...some examples:
http://kotaku.com/5137664/skate-2-dl...-lazy-consumer
http://kotaku.com/370694/ea-charging...ompany-weapons

I definitely have my own (strong) opinions about PDLC, but I'm really curious what you guys think. Where would you draw the line with a game like Madden? In your opinion, what features/unlocks/additions do you think are feasible to pay for, and what features aren't?

Just to kick things off, IMO unlocking art assets that are on the disc should never be an option (i.e. you have an old stadium on the disc but make people pay to use it)...that's just not cool.
Some DLC is a good idea. I personally think there could be more alternate / throwback uniforms via DLC (there should still be plenty in the game though). There could also be equipment packs for create-a-player, again adding to whatever is in the game, not replacing it. Historic stadiums (plus Wembley) would be cool too. I wont pay for DLC though, I think that's a lame idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »