Home

Dynamic Lighting?

This is a discussion on Dynamic Lighting? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Dynamic Lighting?

Thanks for the update info to help clarify the issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But see I think that's where the hardcore gamer may disagree. There have been a few threads discussing that the controls have too much of a free feel, pinpointing things like the quickness with which a number of animations move. One thing about the 30 frames version of Madden is that this wasn't a big issue. I imagine that a lot of it had to do with the animations being used at the time, but the overall visual movements didn't seem like lightning the way they do now. I'm sure that didn't appeal to the casual gamer, but when I play games like FIFA that clearly drop below 60 often and have a tighter feel similar to Madden 07 (combined with the fact that FIFA is a great game), it just reminds me of what I'm missing. It's like the framerate at 30 seemed in some way to add that little extra sense of weight to the players, whereas now they feel light.
Agreed - but that didn't come from 30->60 fps actually...that's just coincidence in how the controls & locomotion were tuned. FIFA and Madden share (basically) the exact same locomotion system...it's just tuning and animations that separate the two...

I think you'll like the way Madden will feel this year. We have a lot of work to do but I am not a fan of NFL players moving around like water bugs either.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
Rookie

ngoulding's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

I think you'll like the way Madden will feel this year. We have a lot of work to do but I am not a fan of NFL players moving around like water bugs either.
Thats good to hear. The one thing I liked about Madden 07 was the fact that the slower pace made it feel a little more real, a little more grounded and gave the players a bit more substance.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But see I think that's where the hardcore gamer may disagree. There have been a few threads discussing that the controls have too much of a free feel, pinpointing things like the quickness with which a number of animations move. One thing about the 30 frames version of Madden is that this wasn't a big issue. I imagine that a lot of it had to do with the animations being used at the time, but the overall visual movements didn't seem like lightning the way they do now. I'm sure that didn't appeal to the casual gamer, but when I play games like FIFA that clearly drop below 60 often and have a tighter feel similar to Madden 07 (combined with the fact that FIFA is a great game), it just reminds me of what I'm missing. It's like the framerate at 30 seemed in some way to add that little extra sense of weight to the players, whereas now they feel light.

I didn't like the old proportions either (hogan arms), but I'm talking more about size. The best way I can explain it is like, if you took a Madden 07 model and just removed the unnecessary bulk (made the arms thinner, thighs thinner, chest smaller) but still left the overall size you'd have the perfect model. It's almost as if I stood Tom Brady from Madden 07 next to Tom Brady from 09, 07 Brady would be much taller and look more imposing (not taking into account the bulk). The problem with the models now is that they look too small. The proportions are good, but the size doesn't make them look like menacing football players. If they get any smaller that won't be good.

I figured as much because NCAA 08 had progressive lighting, while Madden 08 didn't. The shadows got pretty dark in Madden 07, but that seems like something that could've worked out over time. After all, NCAA 08's progressive lighting seemed to have a handle on that pretty good where the shadows didn't over power the scene.

I imagine there is either a lot of extra work involved and/or stability concerns, but man that woulda been sweet.

Please don't give up on it for the future. I honestly think this would go over very well with gamers in terms of knowing they have a choice. The one thing we could use more of in console games is customization. With EA being a field leader, seeing it's biggest games making those moves could really spark something for the future.
MAN! We seem to agree on everything .. I've always thought that. I always thought that the actual SIZE of the players are perfect in 07, but now they look like short HS players that are just .. built. Its sort of hard to explain, but at least someone knows what I'm talking about.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 16

I'm really confident that Madden will "get it right" when it comes to graphics, even running at 60fps. While I realize Madden NFL 10 is NOT a first-person shooter, if games like CoD5 can deliver cinema-quality environments and effects at 60 frames, why couldn't Madden be able to?

-SeventhWard
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 18

Just a quick follow up, during the vid just posted yesterday on Spike if you pause the game when they are playing in Seattle there is definitely an orange effect in the sky reminiscent of the sun setting.

It appears that there is some sort of lighting system in the game!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #31
Banned

dopeboy206's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
If it is in, please remember that you need to use local time, not Eastern Time. I remeber this was in long ago but it was never quite rigth as a game in Oakland that started at 1 PM PT looked at though it was actually 4 PM ET. Meaning that it got darker near the end of the game, which would be 3-4 pm PT.

Well if it's local time shouldn't it apply for all since the east coast also play their games at 1PM local time?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »