Home

The First Official Feature For Madden NFL 10!

This is a discussion on The First Official Feature For Madden NFL 10! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #57
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: The first official feature for Madden NFL 10!

I'd like to see this carried over to penalties. What I mean is, a defensive player being called for pass interference for face guarding a receiver and not "looking back" at the ball.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #58
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

What about carrying it over to running backs and fumbles. Meaning that if a runner doesn't see a hit coming, the possibility of him fumbling increases.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 12

For Procedural Awareness also one thing it can be used for is punt/kickoff returners though I assume this would already be done.

For emotions we need a happy one. Prime player I wanna see this on is Hines Ward lol. I've seen countless smiles after first downs from him in this Superbowl already.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 8

I'm wondering if it's going to have an effect on the actual players. Will the DB still make an INT he has no business making, with the sole difference that he follows the ball? If a WR has a step on a DB or if you're trying to throw over a LB who has his back turned (cover 2 up the seam for example), can they still make the play if their head doesn't get turned? Or will their head just turn for them and they'll make the play anyway?

One thing I'd like to see implemented is if a WR has a step on a DB, and the DB has to run all out to try and keep up, he shouldn't be able to turn his head to make a play on the ball (when his back is to the play - which differs from other situations).

In terms of implementing the feature pre-snap. I want to see Ed Reed scanning the field, pointing things out to his teamates (and I want them to look back and communicating!). I want to see Manning keeping an eye on Polamalu coming up to the line and moving around. I want to see my QB look at the ref when he calls for timeout. Little details like this play just as big a part of presentation value as stat overlays. I want to see Ray Lewis shouting things, waving his arms and one or two of his teamates take a peek over at him and make changes.

What we don't want is 11 heads on defense following the ball when it's in the air. It would be great to see a passrusher get to the QB a second late, and then as they're both on the ground, watch the QB and the pass rusher turn their heads to see what happens (and you could show this kind of thing in the little presentation replays).

I want the CBs and LBs to not be able to turn their heads whenever they want when the ball is thrown. If a LB is running up the seam in cover 2, but a TE has a step on him and I try to throw it over him, I don't want to see a superman play and his head turns around, when he shouldn't be able to get there. Turning your head when your back is turned should slow the player down a little bit!

And there should be a stat for this, some CBs don't have good ball skills while some other CBs may not be as good in terms of their coverage but are better at tracking balls. It would really add the the individuality of the players.

You could also use it when an Olineman whiffs on his block (and falls down or something) but his head keeps looking at his man. And then he does that thing where they put their hands on their hips and look sheepish.

I think if you guys brought back vision cone, it could work to perfection with the QBs. Playing defense for me is no where near as enjoyable when I can't try and read the QBs eyes.

If implemented correctly and if it plays into the functionality of the players, this could be a huge tool for improving the atmosphere and giving the game a more organic feel.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #61
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

one more thing Ian, i think this could be also implemented back with the passing cone, but differently. Kinda like the old maddens. If you have to press the bottom once to look at that particular receiver and the QB head would follow that receiver until you push another bottom for QB to follow a different receiver. Then you push the same receivers bottom twice to pass to him.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 24

Ian, the new tech tech looks good. But, please, make it actually mean something. Make it tie in to the players' ratings, as to how fast each player reacts and moves. This really could be great for sports games!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's going to have an effect on the actual players.
This is the key question.

Were it the case, though, I don't know why they would have failed to include one sentence in the article clearly stating it.

Last edited by ChicagoSparty; 02-01-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #64
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

This may be a long shot, but I think a new "hand-eye coordination" rating could be added for players (especially receivers). I believe that the eye tracking could prove very valuable to such a rating.

Basically, players with great "hand-eye coordination" (i.e. Larry Fitzgerald) can track the ball in mid-air a lot better in order to make a catch than say a linebacker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »