Home

Made a small change this week...

This is a discussion on Made a small change this week... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Made a small change this week...

while i do see the value in the weapons i think that maybe they can be incorporated into the presentation of the game;

for example, in the pre-game (excuse my assumption) the sports pundit could mention who the weapon players are in a sports talk (berrian is a deep threat with his pace)... then during the game at pre-snap the players names should appear above the players head (skill positions only) so we know who is lining up and where (both teams).. so if the user watched the pregame show he/she would know that berrian is quick and thus would see him lined up against a slower dback (also mentioned in pregame) and thus would be able to put the safety in double coverage.

another idea that can be added on would be that if the user holds "select" the weapons can appear- much like the routes appear when you press R2 (ps3 obviously, i dont know the equivalent for 360).

just some ideas... but i dont use weapons or those ugly blue squares in the endzone when you score a td... i use hardcore but i do see the value in the weapons feature.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #50
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
It's 100% more awesome.
lol

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #51
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?
Excellent move. I always turn all that stuff off. One thing that really bugs me about playing ranked games online is seeing those foolish Icons under the players feet. My guess is , if you're playing Madden on line in a ranked game, you know enough about football to know who is what on every team in the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 14

I like this small change, it is actually big - it is a sign that the game is going back to its origins without the Weapons and all those icons. I like this change a lot.

Ian is not only looking to make Madden game of the year but also THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME ON OPERATION SPORTS.

Keep it up IC.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #53
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Leave em off by default. Just give players the proper tools to learn how to play the game.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #54
MVP

OVR: 16

Ian,

The key here is options. Every time I buy a new game first menu I goto is the options menu. Last year there was an option to turn the weapons off for online but if your opponent had them on, then they would show up for both teams. I hope that little glitch is fixed. All you have to do is give players options to turn a certain feature on or off. Don't just make it force us to either play with a certain option on or off.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Imo. Default on is more sensible.

Hardcores know how to turn this stuff on, and it takes like 2 seconds.

But for the first time or newer players, they're gonna fked trying find how to turn the hints on.

New players may not know the game has hints, weapons, etc. And they're have a harder (vs the hardcore turning it off) trying to turn stuff on.

So leave them default on, everyone who wants em off has no trouble turning them off.

Everyone who wants them on, will be confused and throw the game out the window.
i see your point. but if they are casual gamers they shouldnt get frustrated with how to do anything, here's why. how many times do you think a hardcore even glances at the manual, we usually remove plastic, open case, insert, and begin. casual gamers can read how to in the manual. off, one less thing to set up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #56
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Ian, please turn these things off.

A franchise ticker or stats ticker showing up at the bottom of the screen would be ideal though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »