Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Ratings - A New Philosophy, A New Era

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Ratings - A New Philosophy, A New Era within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #33
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 10 blog 2: Ratings philosophy by Donny Moore

Ian and Donny, I hope you guys were paying close attention to the shortcomings of NCAA's "Wide Open Gameplay" <-

This sounds great in theory but the most obvious hazard would be a nerfed pass rush if the suction blocking is still so persistent

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 15

[Side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

^^^ This is the best thing I have heard in a long time when it comes to sports gaming. I love this new team working on Madden! I have never in my life been so excited for a game as I am for Madden 10. Keep up the great work guys!

Last edited by ch46647; 02-09-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #35
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Rerating like this has been common practice on Madden PC for years, particularly once editors with global editing came about. I remember the same thing for 2K5 and its editor. Much larger ranges for attributes has been a user end fix for sports games in general for a while.

The problem was always keeping the consistency during franchise type modes. Progression and draft classes etc would mess with it. Both were somewhat editable on Madden PC, but it was still a challenge. That, and Madden of old had far fewer attribute ratings so the influence was limited (assuming the Madden of current has no or at least very few 'placebos' anyway).

So to hear this will be Madden's default system is refreshing, and I'm sure many old time roster editors particularly for Madden PC will be encouraged by it. I can easily see how it may have a drastic effect on gameplay like Ian said - after all, ratings are the bread and butter of Madden gameplay. Ideally, the rating system should work like a highly influential set of gameplay sliders. As already stated though, such change will need to be carefully administered to make sure players like Chris Johnson and Devin Hester aren't too effective, and that franchise mode rating changes and rookies blend in.

With this and the procedural awareness already discussed, Madden 10 is already starting to take a "boom or bust" approach. Stuff like this, if implemented properly, could power the biggest improvement from one Madden to another ever, but that is a big 'if'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 19

It is annoying searching for ratings of the player when the ratings aren't organized. For instance, for Peyton Manning, I have to scroll through all the stuff I don't care about "break tackle, route running etc" before I can even get to the throw power/accuracy at the end.

What you need to do is have the attributes we care about for the position players be shown first. For example, the first things I should see for running backs are speed, break tackle, agility, ball carrying, etc, and I shouldn't have to weed through all the stuff that doesn't matter to find it.

I am tired of having to scroll for 5 minutes because rating attributes are in the same order regardess of the player I choose. It worked on last gen because there weren't that many ratings. Now their are over fifty, and this is an absolute must already.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 02-09-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #37
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

fantastic guys! simply fantastic

can't wait to see this later this year

Donny-...hopefully this will translate into TEAM ratings in franchise.....right now most teams are bunched in the 80s....i don't see that on Sundays Ian!

teams like the Rams this year should be down in the 60s.....Detroit in the 40s!

if you don't want to insult the casual gamer (and his team) put in a 'performance EQ' option
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
If things will be realistic and the weight will actually mean something, Chris Johnson and Darren Sproles break tackle will be even less to than what Earnest Graham has. Makes a lot of sense.
This comment to me is the deciding factor on deadly speed will truly be. This along with defensive pursuit, and OL/DL interaction or simply any blocking battle.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
It is annoying searching for ratings of the player when the ratings aren't organized. For instance, for Peyton Manning, I have to scroll through all the stuff I don't care about "break tackle, route running etc" before I can even get to the throw power/accuracy at the end.

What you need to do is have the attributes we care about for the position players be shown first. For example, the first things I should see for running backs are speed, break tackle, agility, ball carrying, etc, and I shouldn't have to weed through all the stuff that doesn't matter to find it.

I am tired of having to scroll for 5 minutes because rating attributes are in the same order regardess of the player I choose. It worked on last gen because there weren't that many ratings. Now their are over fifty, and this is an absolute must already.
Good Point! I agree that this is a real issue.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 46

this sounds like it is going to revolutionize things. I am really excited for some more news

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »