Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Ratings - A New Philosophy, A New Era

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Ratings - A New Philosophy, A New Era within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #57
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 10 blog 2: Ratings philosophy by Donny Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Here's the problem with Chris Henry the RB (I assume that's who you meant) in video game land. Henry is a fast footed, physically imposing powerful runner when he was given the ball in 2007 as a rookie, but he earned his spot on the inactive list this season for the Titans because he has the vision and patience of a mole on acid.

But how do you replicate this under human control in a game? We control vision and patience as a RB. On a CPU team Henry should spend most of his carries running into the backs of offensive linemen, but under human control, he should be a force because his major weakness is now at the mercy of the player.

here lies the central issue with video gaming

does one game to re-create to a tee what you see in real life

OR

to game to see how YOU play the game

fine line to walk for sure
Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #58
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Fantastic news, Ian and Donny! I know that this information is aimed specifically at Madden, but I am wondering if these scaling differences will be applied in NCAA as well. Any word on if that's the case?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #59
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

This is Worst Case Scenario...of course but this is what you guys have to be fighting and looking out for

There are elements of that play that are so horrendous its just insane...

Please again proceed with caution...."Wide Open Gameplay" is a perfect example of the "Bandage for a Broken Leg" mentality thats been associated with Madden and NCAA for years

If your going to change one thing so drastically you have to do it to the rest like AI, DL/OL interaction

Thankfully Ian being here has eased my mind, and Im pretty optimistic that this will be handled appropriately for us sim gamers

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #60
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
here lies the central issue with video gaming

does one game to re-create to a tee what you see in real life

OR

to game to see how YOU play the game

fine line to walk for sure
EXACTLY. This also goes for the issue of having the QB drop back a lot of yards. Should they cut it out completely to make it real or should they just have the player do what they want? I feel the latter as long as they make it harder for the player to complete a pass when they do that. But yeah it is a fine line.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #61
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
That'd be awareness right? Maybe awareness should factor in as reaction time. If I wanted to juke but my awareness was low there'd be a slight delay. If it was high - BANG! Straight away, the likes of LT.

Maybe that could be something implemented for all positions. A QB takes that tiny bit extra to get the ball out, your DE's finesse move is harder to time, your DB's effort to bat the ball away is hard to time. Only for user controlled players though.

Would this be hard to implement though?
Not a bad idea at all IMO. Might be tough to get right, but awareness could definitely influence reaction times. In fact, that seems to make perfect sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta
This is why you don't stop running and "PUT THE SHOULDER DOWN"...

Hits like this need to be reduced somewhat in Madden or at least be reduced for those that don't have the big hitter weapon.

&nbsp
&nbsp

OMG I forgot about that hit..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #63
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan

EA SPORTS World: NCAA Football 09 Video

This is Worst Case Scenario...of course but this is what you guys have to be fighting and looking out for

There are elements of that play that are so horrendous its just insane...

Please again proceed with caution...."Wide Open Gameplay" is a perfect example of the "Bandage for a Broken Leg" mentality thats been associated with Madden and NCAA for years

If your going to change one thing so drastically you have to do it to the rest like AI, DL/OL interaction

Thankfully Ian being here has eased my mind, and Im pretty optimistic that this will be handled appropriately for us sim gamers
WTF?!?! LOL that video is crazy.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #64
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12
Icon5 Re: Madden NFL 10 blog 2: Ratings philosophy by Donny Moore

This is even better than the first anouncemnt. Ian can you talk a little bit about the Jump rating. I just don't feel that it really has had an effect in the game as it really should.

Are guys like Larry "Fitz" gonna be a problem in '10? Also I hope the jump button is made more responsive. There's nothing more frustrating than pushing the jump button and the reciever just throws his hands up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »