Home

Speed is King: It's not rebalance ratings that'll fix it

This is a discussion on Speed is King: It's not rebalance ratings that'll fix it within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Speed is King: It's not rebalance ratings that'll fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
^^^Awasome!

How great would it be to be able to select from three defensive styles like...Force the run outside, force the run up the middle, force the pass outside, force the pass in the middle. Just like the above poster said...

Wow, what a great idea man. Also, this would be great for halftime adjustments...it could be something you can only do before the game starts, or at halftime.

I'm a big fan of that idea

. I already think CB's are way too involved in Madden's running game. In Twins sets, it's easy to run opposite the Twins when the D is in man because there is no CB on that side. The LB's and DL need to be the main reason why the running game is successful or unsuccessful....not the CB's.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I can't imagine it would be difficult for them to setup a slider that allows us to sorta tweak a corner's aggressiveness when attacking the run. Does he sell out for the tackle, or hold the corner and keep the back inside... set on a team-by-team basis, maybe even corner by corner. At least until a more robust system can be implemented in a future iteration.

I'd like to see more check-and-flow from the linebackers rather than just shooting gaps off the bat as well.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'd like to see more check-and-flow from the linebackers rather than just shooting gaps off the bat as well.
That could also be added to Team Tendency Sliders. They really need to be in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

This is really good idea and would really add to the strategy on both sides of the ball. A good defense would be really hard to manipulate as they are typically strong up front and in the secondary. Would make playing the Vikings defense a very challenging and long day if you were not able to exploit the secondary.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwebb
This is really good idea and would really add to the strategy on both sides of the ball. A good defense would be really hard to manipulate as they are typically strong up front and in the secondary. Would make playing the Vikings defense a very challenging and long day if you were not able to exploit the secondary.
im n ur difenciv bakfeeld, ecksploytn ur weeknisez

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
im n ur difenciv bakfeeld, ecksploytn ur weeknisez
Lol..Isle b blitsen AD! Gud luk
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Its weird I felt like I was the only one that didnt agree with the new idea of adding more range to the ratings. I dont see how that can translate to having a sim experience.

The Funny thing is that Football is nothing but Speed. The game of football today is so much faster than ever, but the programmers feel that slowing it down will make it more sim.
I mentioned that speed wasnt the problem, and what can be done to correct it.

Now that the Original poster mentioned the AI aspect of it, and it makes alot of sense.
Make the AI sim, and truly understand how to impliment the ratings. What ratings should work with eacother, and then u can get a sim experience.

It seems like there is alot of members in here that just jump on certain things said by certain people and just run with it.

It would be nice if more people can really speak thier minds, and not be so quick to say "yea u the man I love your idea", and truly understand whats being done and see if it truly will work.

Great post OP!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I agree with the OP. There are a couple of important things here.

First, in terms of playcalling logic and gameplanning, computer controlled teams are pretty horrible. It never adjusts, and really has no framework to even understand how to go about adjusting. The computer has no real ability to anticipate what I'm trying to do (on either offense or defense), based on personnel, previous playcalling history, etc..., and then even if it did, it has no way to try and figure out things to take that away. The computer, for example, never keeps track of the fact that every single time it calls man coverage, I complete a pass for 10+ yards, and so as a result, it keeps calling man coverage, whereas an online opponent might recognize that I keep beating the man coverage and start to mix in more and more zone coverages. The computer doesn't remember that every single time it calls a screen play (in NCAA), it loses yards, and so it keeps calling screen plays. And so as a result, the computer is essentially a bad player, in terms of skill level. Even if you set it on All Madden and adjust sliders, really all that you're doing is hardwiring in advantages for computer controlled players in terms of physical abilities, but even so, it can only carry the poor playcalling/strategy so far. The bottom line is that for these games to be interesting for long-term replay value in offline modes (franchise/dynasty) the computer AI needs to improve dramatically.

The second point, which I think everybody has hammered home pretty well, is that a lot of the problems in the game aren't necessarily a function of innaccurate speed ratings, but rather the fact that other ratings, which should theoretically counteract or at least partially neutralize speed, don't seem to have their correct impact. Thus receivers with high speed and low route running are way over-effective, whereas defenders with lower speed and high awareness and man/zone coverage abilities are under-effective.

Making it so that some of these mediocre players that have high speed ratings, but then also have much lower ratings in other categories (like routes or catch) only makes a difference if low ratings in those categories actually impact play on the field. Right now, I can take Adrian Peterson, who has pretty terrible route running abilities, and split him out wide, and he will consistently get separation against almost any corner in the game, simply because of his high speed rating, and he will pretty much catch anything that I throw at him unless he gets hit immediately afterwards. In other words, his low routes and catch ratings don't matter. So even under this new ratings system, slot receivers that have high speed but then much lower routes/catch ratings than they would have had before the change won't be any less effective. If anything, they would actually be even more effective, because there would be a larger speed gap between them and most of the defenders that might guard them.

Last edited by rhombic21; 02-12-2009 at 12:12 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »