Home

Major change needed for 2010 (momentum/recover)

This is a discussion on Major change needed for 2010 (momentum/recover) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Major change needed for 2010 (momentum/recover)

Not sure how you would go about fixing this, but I am sure it can be done. To understand the scenario I am going to explain, I suggest you play someone who employs this defensive scheme. (if you haven't, I can give you someone who has mastered it, you can run a game with him).

I run into this quite a bit, but the fact that people can play in the box with their safetys (manual control) , I mean literally, closer to the LOS than the LB's, and cover almost the entire centerfield, AND run support, is baffling. If Troy Polamalu was the only one who could do this, I would be okay with it. But I see people doing it with Ken Hamlin, Kenny Phillips, titans safetys, etc etc.

There is absolutley NO momentum on defense, and literally no recovery time. How can a safety totally jump a slot corner route, then fly back and cover say, ANDRE JOHNSON, and make a play on the ball on a POST route? Baffling. I have literally seen guys run in CIRCLES in the middle of the field over and over and over, and then bite the PA, and still recover and chase down the streak route. I have seen it all, and I am sure most of you have as well.

I think the best way to address this, is once you start in one direction, ESPECIALLY when you use turbo, there should be time you need to gather, make the cut, recover etc etc, all depending on your rating for this movement and the physics behind how drastic of a change in direction, as well as your position. This could open up way for a new rating, such as coverage footwork etc. You get the point.

Any plans for this in 2010? I think this is a must have, and shoots right to the top of my list for things that need work, right under pocket, and db/wr interaction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Major change needed for 2010 (momentum/recover)

I've seen all the stuff you just said and hopefully these problems get fixed because they really detract from the game.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

I would love to see this! I know they are looking for total control with your player but that just is not realistic. If a player is up to full speed there has to be momentum to take into consideration. This should be a must and it is not just on the defensive side of the ball where it is needed. All players should be effected by MO. Especially running backs..if they were able to pull this off it would make each and every running back feel very individual based on there speed, cutting ability, and acceleration.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

I agree. This is my cousin's "strategy" and to an extent it can be easily countered. The people tend to bite on routes so as long as you dont force anything you can easily beat them.

But that doesn't change the fact that you're completely right. Momentum is THE single biggest issue in the game, bar none. That's not an exaggeration. It affects everything, ESPECIALLY route running and coverage, which are the two most common complaints about Madden year after year. I know it's not easy but Ian and Co. need to attempt to make significant strides in this department.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

I 100% agree! This should go for not just the defensive side but the offensive side as well. Momentum, foot planting, and acceleration all will hopefully be tuned to perfection for Madden 10. If you want a great example of appropriate acceleration they can look no further then NHL 09. NHL 09 is one of the most fun sports games I have ever played by the way!

Great post Danny!

Last edited by ch46647; 02-17-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

This needs a bump.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 10

i agree. when i played the madden 09 demo the first thing i notice was that. players making hits after miss swatting the ball. players running full sped stopping then jumping 10 feet straight up to swat the ball.
apexisfree has a video about this.
madden needs to fix this.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Ian, it would be awesome if you could let us know if you guys are atleast giving this a look. I remember you saying a couple months ago that you didnt like the way players moved like "waterbugs." Are these the issues you were reffering to? Thanks in advance for any answer we may be able to get to this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »