Home

On Screen Text - A Conversation about Gratification...

This is a discussion on On Screen Text - A Conversation about Gratification... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 16
On Screen Text - A Conversation about Gratification...

So I've got this theory about what makes playing Call of Duty very fun to do when you're online. No, it's not the adrenaline rush of combat and the sounds of gunfire. Nor is it the sly grin that creeps across your face as you sneak up behind up someone and take aim. It's something much more primal in the heart of the gamer - it's seeing that +5 pop up on screen when you kill someone.

Incredibly gratifying.

Pick up Street Fighter IV. Knock a MF out or get knocked out...see if that big K.O. popping up on screen doesn't get you in your gamer roots.

Take it back to the golden age of arcades, when ancient nerds of the 1980s spent hours trying their best to earn their initials in lights. That high score was that graphical representation that they had accomplished something. A sense of gratification.

In Madden's past, I remember feeling the same sense of accomplishment. It would come when crossing the end zone. The word TOUCHDOWN would come on screen, accompanied by the announcer and madness. Seeing the word TOUCHDOWN adds to the fun factor - it's a graphical explosion you want to achieve, a sense of gratification.

In Madden NFL 09, when I score a Touchdown, all I get is blue squares in the end zone. Dare I call it lifeless, a wasted moment.

Same goes for FIRST DOWN, 4th & INCHES, and TURNOVER ON DOWNS. These are moments. Something as simple as seeing the words on screen adds to bringing out those moments. I feel someone should be able to play Madden without sound and be able to follow and enjoy the video game.

I guess that's what it all boils down to - stylisticly speaking, how much of a video game do we want Madden to be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: On Screen Text - A Conversation about Gratification...

if anything like this was ever put into the game... just please, please give me an option to turn it all off

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

I wholeheartedly don't mean to be rude, I sincerely don't. But, this idea is horrible & has no place in a NFL simulation. You may want to try NFL Blitz, or Street.

I have not disagree with a comment more than the statement made by the OP above. Again, not be rude...we all have our opinions, and this is one i completely disagree with.

At the very least...it must be able to be turned off.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 7

I disagree, having words come across the screen would only hurt the environment and would take me further from a real football experience.

Instead, I want fireworks, team celebrations, and a crowd's roar to signify a TD. I want a player to make the first down hand chop signal to show the emotion for a first down, defensive playyers making the "not in my house" motions or throwing their arms up on a key stop.

I don't want to do all these things to get a text message on the screen, I want to do them to change the momentum of the game or liven the atmosphere of the stadium.

As goes the old saying, a picture speaks a thousand words.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I wholeheartedly don't mean to be rude, I sincerely don't. But, this idea is horrible & has no place in a NFL simulation. You may want to try NFL Blitz, or Street.

I have not disagree with a comment more than the statement made by the OP above. Again, not be rude...we all have our opinions, and this is one i completely disagree with.

At the very least...it must be able to be turned off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
I disagree, having words come across the screen would only hurt the environment and would take me further from a real football experience.

Instead, I want fireworks, team celebrations, and a crowd's roar to signify a TD. I want a player to make the first down hand chop signal to show the emotion for a first down, defensive playyers making the "not in my house" motions or throwing their arms up on a key stop.

I don't want to do all these things to get a text message on the screen, I want to do them to change the momentum of the game or liven the atmosphere of the stadium.

As goes the old saying, a picture speaks a thousand words.
There's a way to do what the OP wants and have it be realistic. As soon as the guy makes the touchdown, have the roar of the crowd, then a shot of the jumbotron with the word "TOUCHDOWN!", then all the other stuff you mention. That would be awesome. APF 2K8 does all that.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

lol i dont play call of duty for the +5.. but that was a nice and poetic.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
lol i dont play call of duty for the +5.. but that was a nice and poetic.
Why thank you.

Sure, it's good design philosophy to allow users to disable this stuff...but I stand by my original position. Something more can be done to accent these moments in the course of a football game.

Is the precious illusion of football sim destined to be destroyed because I scored a touchdown and the game went bonkers? No! It's a 2009 game with 2010 in it's name - and growing up on The Jetsons makes me feel entitled to have something cool and high tech happen when I do something sweet in my video games.

-SeventhWard

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »