Home

Just My Thoughts, Ian.

This is a discussion on Just My Thoughts, Ian. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Just My Thoughts, Ian.

What about a "Warm up the Kicker" like a baseball bullpen? Maybe have the announcer say a little something then see him on the sideline trying to build up a little confidence meter practicing kicks.

I like the time-out team boosts like in NCAA, BUT, as always we can make them better by advancing the risk/reward. Example, say you now have a choice like Aggressive Man. While the reward may be "tighter" coverage, not as apt to bite on play-action, better exchanges on picks. The risk is jumping routes, being more susceptible to double moves, getting turned around on the run-off routes making the CB easier to block on the run. There has to be a risk like the facemask/get ball back.
Have a choice of Control the Box. that has a risk/reward system based on how players react, or dont around LOS. rewards should be obvious, risks like missed jams, slower reads, poor tackling angles.
Base all of this on awareness as the determining factor of effectiveness. So even if you dont play with best defenses, you should be able to use something somehow.

I would say stop messing with play clock but I remember how it was abused a few years ago. BUT, I have suggestion. Give Composure rating points based on clock usage. Only thing I can think of is when plays are called under 10 seconds, have at least the QB lose a little Composure. Indianapolis calls unorthodox no/huddle, put that in the game for 1, but allow it to do what it does, keep defenses uncomfortable. (Composure lowered) If everything goes right, it will soon be a necessity to read defenses pre-play, so the clock will become gold. Basically, reward a user that runs a efficient offense.

Need to desperately get a handle on fatigue. Best way is to tie it into Composure. Yes, you may not be too tired to need a rest, but you may be too tired to run a Streaks. How do you do this without us having to pause game every other play? It comes from learning your team. Fatigue is something that should be team specific. A user that has experience with say his favorite team should have intimate knowledge of that teams rest requirements. This also keeps actual teams game style intact. You shouldnt be able to run New Englands offense with teams that don't have the same abilities. If you keep bringing Baltimore out in 5 wide sets 2 things should happen, It will be hard to keep WR from getting tired, and the QB's Composure should be too low too run much effectively.

Make the Game more like real NFL chess matches. The NFL is considered boring to some because it is truly about field position. How many gamers know that until an NFL team crosses the 50 yard line, most coaches WANT to punt the ball to gain an advantage by making the other team punt from their endzone? That IS NFL football. How to implement? Composure rating. I dislike saying it, but you have too reward a punt in todays video game world. Nothing major, but over the course of a game, beneficial. The Composure rating services this perfectly. It's like something you always need to keep in your head for every decision you make. No, im not gonna sacrifice a 4th and 6 in the 1st quarter on my 30 yard line for 1 first down because I'd be lowering my OFF/DEF Composure, and raising my opponents if I dont get it. End result, the punt comes back to Madden.

I want the ability to taunt my opponent on the field in good spirit of the game. User controlled post-play celebrations. How does it help the game? You can only do it after YOU (not the CPU) do something good. USER sack, USER INT, USER swat/deflection, USER big plays. That will make everyone try and PLAY THE GAME and stop complaining or sending messages. Thanks, More Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: Just My Thoughts, Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVELL
What about a "Warm up the Kicker" like a baseball bullpen? Maybe have the announcer say a little something then see him on the sideline trying to build up a little confidence meter practicing kicks.
this might be a good idea for the superstar mode, if you are a kicker, but Im not sure for a regular mode. If its just a animation every now and then to add presentation, sure. If you got a all star kicker, why not say his name while he is warming up. other wise, Im not sure it will enhance anything.

Quote:
I like the time-out team boosts like in NCAA, BUT, as always we can make them better by advancing the risk/reward. Example, say you now have a choice like Aggressive Man. While the reward may be "tighter" coverage, not as apt to bite on play-action, better exchanges on picks. The risk is jumping routes, being more susceptible to double moves, getting turned around on the run-off routes making the CB easier to block on the run. There has to be a risk like the facemask/get ball back.
Have a choice of Control the Box. that has a risk/reward system based on how players react, or dont around LOS. rewards should be obvious, risks like missed jams, slower reads, poor tackling angles.
Base all of this on awareness as the determining factor of effectiveness. So even if you dont play with best defenses, you should be able to use something somehow.

I would say stop messing with play clock but I remember how it was abused a few years ago. BUT, I have suggestion. Give Composure rating points based on clock usage. Only thing I can think of is when plays are called under 10 seconds, have at least the QB lose a little Composure. Indianapolis calls unorthodox no/huddle, put that in the game for 1, but allow it to do what it does, keep defenses uncomfortable. (Composure lowered) If everything goes right, it will soon be a necessity to read defenses pre-play, so the clock will become gold. Basically, reward a user that runs a efficient offense.
I always thought, if a QB has composure or a "comeback high ranking" why not let him get to the line faster when under 2 minutes? Or the play screen loads faster/etc with a QB with a higher rating here. That doesnt mean make him run to the line like the flash, it means having a nice animation to the line, where others might have a animation of a QB looking at the coach on the sideline trying to get a play or something and then coming to the line. This might be a good idea, maybe not.

Quote:
Need to desperately get a handle on fatigue. Best way is to tie it into Composure. Yes, you may not be too tired to need a rest, but you may be too tired to run a Streaks. How do you do this without us having to pause game every other play? It comes from learning your team. Fatigue is something that should be team specific. A user that has experience with say his favorite team should have intimate knowledge of that teams rest requirements. This also keeps actual teams game style intact. You shouldnt be able to run New Englands offense with teams that don't have the same abilities. If you keep bringing Baltimore out in 5 wide sets 2 things should happen, It will be hard to keep WR from getting tired, and the QB's Composure should be too low too run much effectively.
My thoughts on fatigue have always been, if a receiver slows down, or misses a catch because of fatigue, I want to see that animation. Not only when he is running his route, but after the play. Show the player who missed the catch and make him bent over huffing and puffing. Then we actually know, Ok, this guy either needs to come out, or does not need to be thrown to in a clutch situatuion

Quote:
Make the Game more like real NFL chess matches. The NFL is considered boring to some because it is truly about field position. How many gamers know that until an NFL team crosses the 50 yard line, most coaches WANT to punt the ball to gain an advantage by making the other team punt from their endzone? That IS NFL football. How to implement? Composure rating. I dislike saying it, but you have too reward a punt in todays video game world. Nothing major, but over the course of a game, beneficial. The Composure rating services this perfectly. It's like something you always need to keep in your head for every decision you make. No, im not gonna sacrifice a 4th and 6 in the 1st quarter on my 30 yard line for 1 first down because I'd be lowering my OFF/DEF Composure, and raising my opponents if I dont get it. End result, the punt comes back to Madden.
I will agree great punters making game changing punts is missed. Excellent rated punters should have some kind of bonus, that doesnt even have to be shown by a gimmick, and can put the ball within the 10. I also think a momentum changer like that should allow the defense to hold there ground, make a INT, a sack for a safety much more likely. These are real attributes to the game, and is what makes true football fans love the game.

Quote:
I want the ability to taunt my opponent on the field in good spirit of the game. User controlled post-play celebrations. How does it help the game? You can only do it after YOU (not the CPU) do something good. USER sack, USER INT, USER swat/deflection, USER big plays. That will make everyone try and PLAY THE GAME and stop complaining or sending messages. Thanks, More Later
Im all for this. Anything to add to presentation of the game. Ill agree if I get a sack, I want that animation to showcase it well with excitement. Too often it feels like game developers rush these, just so they are there. They are a huge part of the game, and cant be over looked.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 27

I like the idea of having a cutscene showing the kicker warming up kicking into the practice net before making an important kick (4th qrtr to tie or go ahead, or win the game). I love this in real life on TV, and I've always loved it in 2K5. It really adds drama to the game situation.

No meters though. Kicking just isn't one of those things where I think people want to be taken to situations of having to control a scene that's all about kicking.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 18

While you are picking plays in huddle, there could be video of the kicker warming up in certain situations.

This should be purly cosmetic. In the NFL, kickers get themselves ready for field goal situations.

Head coaches do not always need to keep tabs on them.

I like the idea that Punts can increase team composure. Rewarding players for doing things NFL teams would do is always good. I could see them giving greater increases in composure when pinning teams deep in their own territory. If you make a poor punt or they get the ball around thier 30-40, then you would not get a very significant increase in composure.

Last edited by bang911; 02-22-2009 at 07:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »