Home

*Possible* blog about QB play tommorow

This is a discussion on *Possible* blog about QB play tommorow within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: *Possible* blog about QB play tommorow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
As a former HS quarterback, I concur. I am among those who found it a lot easier to throw on the run, albeit only when running to my throwing arm (right).

It's all in the technique. Throwing on the run and throwing from the pocket are distinctly different motions. Throwing on the run is mostly about timing the throw with your stride and adjusting for the fact that you are running.

If you're running parallel you with a receiver, for example, don't lead him. The natural momentum of your motion will carry the ball to where it needs to be.

When throwing on the run, if you time it right with your stride, you'll end up with more velocity and a tighter spiral. The momentum HELPS your throw, IF you know how to throw this way. Some people don't.
If there were QBs that were better at throwing on the move than standing still, protection schemes in the NFL would be vastly different. We would see a lot more rollouts and boots on sundays. In the NFL, the QB position is one that's played from the pocket; it's easier to throw while standing still.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 25

Tito-

I am conceeding the arguement. Its more than one way to skin a cat, and offenses can be built several ways. Super Bowls have been won with pocket passers, and QB's who used movement to throw.

...all I was saying is that every QB has to be able to do everything required of a QB to win. So, labels & steriotypes like a guy being a pocket passer, or a guy being a scrambler...are really meaningless because both players will scramble, buy time, and throw from the pocket during a football game.

Some guys do certain things more, and some guys are more effective at certain things...and defenses adjust based on who they are facing on a particular day...

But to say that these QB's can't do these things is just wrong, these guys are pro football players..they'll do whatever it takes.

Haven't you seen P. Manning scramble 10 yards for a first down, or run for a TD? I have.

Haven't you seen Jeff Gracia, or Mike Vick stand in the pocket and throw for 300 yards? I have.

So, while these players may not do this ALL THE TIME, to make it so they can't EVER DO IT in Madden is not accarate imo.

...that's all I saying.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Tito-

I am conceeding the arguement. Its more than one way to skin a cat, and offenses can be built several ways. Super Bowls have been won with pocket passers, and QB's who used movement to throw.

...all I was saying is that every QB has to be able to do everything required of a QB to win. So, labels & steriotypes like a guy being a pocket passer, or a guy being a scrambler...are really meaningless because both players will scramble, buy time, and throw from the pocket during a football game.

Some guys do certain things more, and some guys are more effective at certain things...and defenses adjust based on who they are facing on a particular day...

But to say that these QB's can't do these things is just wrong, these guys are pro football players..they'll do whatever it takes.

Haven't you seen P. Manning scramble 10 yards for a first down, or run for a TD? I have.

Haven't you seen Jeff Gracia, or Mike Vick stand in the pocket and throw for 300 yards? I have.

So, while these players may not do this ALL THE TIME, to make it so they can't EVER DO IT in Madden is not accarate imo.

...that's all I saying.
Peyton has one run per season over 10 yards. Sure he occasionaly runs for a TD on a QB sneak, but that doesn't mean he is a scrambling QB.

Vick has 2 games with over 300 yards passing in his career. This doesn't make him a pocket passer.

I think the confusion is that you worded things weird. Yes, all QBs can move around and buy some time in the pocket, but that is a far cry from being a running/scrambling QB.

Guys like Marino, Warner, Brees, Favre, and Montana didn't run around all the time. They mostly stayed in the pocket and threw from there. Yes, every now and then, they would throw on a rollout or something similar, but that hardly means they are experts at that.

Guys like Vick and Cunningham are constantly on the move because they are better outside the pocket because they don't read defenses well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »