Home

Bring Back The Star As An Interactive Player Indicator

This is a discussion on Bring Back The Star As An Interactive Player Indicator within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12
Bring Back The Star As An Interactive Player Indicator

I had this in the wishlist forum, but that forum seems to be a graveyard.

I liked the star, it looked cool in all the games it was used in. Maybe different colored stars for how good the player is or how tired he is.

You can have gold, silver, and bronze stars for better players, plain white for players not up to the aforementioned levels. Maybe bring back the pumping/pulsing flashing star for players who are feeling it.

Use the star as a mood ring, Owens or Shockey could start feeling "blue" and get a blue outline on the star if they haven't been thrown to often enough for their tastes. The outlines of the star can also be used for stamina and risk of injury if they're dinged up.

Tons of possibilities for the color of the star, outlines of the star, pulsing, flashing, etc. to give instant feedback while you're playing.

Run the ball successfully a few times and start to see the linemen get pumped up and start to pulse, you can do a million things with them.

Even how "full" the star is with the players designated color can be an indicator for stamina. Leaving the outline color for the player's mood/level (hot, cold, neutral, disinterested (better throw one his way)).

I like this better than weapons, because it gives instant feedback in different areas. If people are really interested who has a laser or rocket arm or who has the best hands they can always look at the ratings of the players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Bring Back The Star As An Interactive Player Indicator

Bro,

I've been typing my butt off on this forum to get icons such as this one totally removed. I mean, do we really need these indicators to know which player has the ball?

I don't mean to be rude, or unkind because I disagree...I just feel like its old fashion football and we dont need training wheels like on-field icons.

However, my suggestion or compremise would be to have an option to turn off all the on-field visual aids. So, you can have them if you want...and I don't have to have them because I so don't want to.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Bro,

I've been typing my butt off on this forum to get icons such as this one totally removed. I mean, do we really need these indicators to know which player has the ball?

I don't mean to be rude, or unkind because I disagree...I just feel like its old fashion football and we dont need training wheels like on-field icons.

However, my suggestion or compremise would be to have an option to turn off all the on-field visual aids. So, you can have them if you want...and I don't have to have them because I so don't want to.
I hear you, I think I'm explaining it wrong.

ONLY when you switch to said player would you see if he's a gold, silver or bronze, can see what his stamina is at, if he's hot or cold, or mad he's not getting the ball. If you want to see how everyone is "feeling" (e.g. lineman pumped up etc.) It would be a click of the right stick to get a look at all of your players stars, which will tell you which recievers are "hot", if you're lineman are "pumped up" to run the ball, etc.

I want no clutter on the field either. I like the "star" as an indicator for players, it just looks cooler. And by using colors, outlines, pulses, flashes, etc. it will give you a whole overview of who's hot and who's not, etc. at the click of a stick.

It's clear to me in my head, I should have explained it better, like when you cycle around on defense, you'll see which lineman or LB is "hot" and try and get the sack with that guy. Maybe you'll see one of your CB's got dinged up on the last play and you'll need to shift coverage to his side, etc.

I would like to be able to cycle on offense to see what reciever is "hot", or temporarily "dinged up". Sometimes a receiver will come into the huddle after getting his bell rung and tell the QB he needs a play off or the QB will see he's had his bell rung and not throw to him, etc.

Speaking of which, I would like to see players take themselves out after a play after they get crushed going for a pass, or a RB going to the sideline after a long run automatically like they do in real life.

What I'm saying is that you can get all the vital information about your players through the player indicator and the star is the best shape to do all those things, instead of a "weapons" icon and a stamina meter, a way to check all those things and more just using the player indicator icon.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I hear you, I think I'm explaining it wrong.

ONLY when you switch to said player would you see if he's a gold, silver or bronze, can see what his stamina is at, if he's hot or cold, or mad he's not getting the ball. If you want to see how everyone is "feeling" (e.g. lineman pumped up etc.) It would be a click of the right stick to get a look at all of your players stars, which will tell you which recievers are "hot", if you're lineman are "pumped up" to run the ball, etc.

I want no clutter on the field either. I like the "star" as an indicator for players, it just looks cooler. And by using colors, outlines, pulses, flashes, etc. it will give you a whole overview of who's hot and who's not, etc. at the click of a stick.

It's clear to me in my head, I should have explained it better, like when you cycle around on defense, you'll see which lineman or LB is "hot" and try and get the sack with that guy. Maybe you'll see one of your CB's got dinged up on the last play and you'll need to shift coverage to his side, etc.

I would like to be able to cycle on offense to see what reciever is "hot", or temporarily "dinged up". Sometimes a receiver will come into the huddle after getting his bell rung and tell the QB he needs a play off or the QB will see he's had his bell rung and not throw to him, etc.

Speaking of which, I would like to see players take themselves out after a play after they get crushed going for a pass, or a RB going to the sideline after a long run automatically like they do in real life.

What I'm saying is that you can get all the vital information about your players through the player indicator and the star is the best shape to do all those things, instead of a "weapons" icon and a stamina meter, a way to check all those things and more just using the player indicator icon.

I totally hear you, and I agree with what your saying...I just want to have to pay close attention to me players myself & read the body language of the players.

I know if a guy just ran 80 yards...I'd better sit him for a couple plays. If a guy just gave me two big plays in a row, and he puts his hands on his knees...thats a tell tell sign that he's winded.

stuff like that...but like I said what your suggestion is fine as long as EA makes it so it can be turned off & on at our discretion.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

Quote:
I totally hear you, and I agree with what your saying...I just want to have to pay close attention to me players myself & read the body language of the players.

I know if a guy just ran 80 yards...I'd better sit him for a couple plays. If a guy just gave me two big plays in a row, and he puts his hands on his knees...thats a tell tell sign that he's winded.

stuff like that...but like I said what your suggestion is fine as long as EA makes it so it can be turned off & on at our discretion.
I think checking the body language of players is still a bit away, LOL. That's why I suggest the indicator to say "I'm hurt", "give me the damn ball", "I'm hot", etc.

A guy who runs 80 yards 99 times out of 100 runs to the sideline himself, I'd rather not have to do a manual substitution. I'd like for the back-up HB to run to the huddle and on the play screen have a message, "Leon Washington reporting in for Thomas Jones", just like the QB knows when he sees Leon running to the huddle, I will have that information before I call my next play.

I love the idea of different animations of guys being winded, etc. I wish Madden would quadruple the number of animations in the game. Practically, for now, having an all information on the players indicator is something that could easily be implemented, I think.

Again, I don't want any clutter, I never used "weapons", like weapons I would like to be able to click to see everyone's current status, or just cycle through players to see who's hot, injured, tired, etc.

Losing weapons and instead having an indicator that tells you how good the player is (gold, silver, bronze, white), his stamina, (how full his star is) how hot he is (flashing, pulsing, neutral), and an outline of the star for his status (red=bell rung, seeing stars, yellow=not 100% this play, dinged, light blue=wants ball, dark blue=pissed he's not getting the ball, blue and pulsing=T.O about to throw a hissy fit to the Offensive Coordinator on the sideline if he doesn't get THIS ball, LOL)

Lots of possibilities for a lot of information with one button press.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Banned

Interesting comments...

It gives me a unique perspective into what the DEVs must deal with when making decisions about the game...

good feedback man...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

Quote:
Interesting comments...

It gives me a unique perspective into what the DEVs must deal with when making decisions about the game...

good feedback man...
Thanks, maybe they'll just give us little cartoon balloons over the players heads and make them "talk".
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I think checking the body language of players is still a bit away, LOL. That's why I suggest the indicator to say "I'm hurt", "give me the damn ball", "I'm hot", etc.
Nah... the body language situation should actually be a norm at this point. We're just talking about fatigue affecting what the player does (animations) which communicates to the user what condition the player is in. It's been done before in other types of franchises so it's nothing groundbreaking now.

The problem is not the technology, it's been possible for a long time, but I think there's been concern that not having some kind of graphic-icon feedback would somehow confuse some people or not be followed. I personally think that's a little over-thinking. People will figure it out and they can always have tutorials if they aren't confident that gamers will figure it out on their own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »