Home

Hitstick in 2010

This is a discussion on Hitstick in 2010 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What to do with Hitstick for 2010?
Keep it as is, I love it. 24 13.79%
Get rid of it, it is over done. 36 20.69%
Limit it to only players with Big hitter weapons. 32 18.39%
Make the risk of using it more prominent, and fix physics. 82 47.13%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Hitstick in 2010

Make the hit stick fail more. You can't just land a big hit every time you come into contact with a player. If you try to big hit that 260 LB TE or the wrong RB, you should get plowed with the ballcarrier losing little speed.

A tackle stick that allows a range of tackles is far more fun, especially once engaged with a blocker. Reaching over for tackles and trying to shed blocks is just a blast and it really separates great players from bad players in the front 7.

Having a "click" on the R stick for the big one and every other direction be a directed tackle works extremely well. It makes the big hit a challenge and more high percentage tackles with the R stick easier, safer, but generate less impact. They will still generate more impact than the standard wrap up tackle.

The bottom line with big hits is if you make them rare and difficult to do, they become more special when they occur... not just popping a player every single play easily.

Variety is good.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 18

Voted for making it more prominent, need to increase the risk/reward.

BTW, I love the OP's username.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #51
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

remove hit stick and make it a tackle stick as someone also refered
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #52

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

There should be different levels of big hits depending on the players hit power and different animations. Also they need to make a lot of the hits more realistic and the animations need to pertain to the situations. Also, if the players is in a position where he would see the hit coming there should be a pretty high chance for the hit to miss. Big hits should mostly just happen when players are moving fast or don't see the hits coming[/quote]

exactly i agree completly with this...b/c i'm tired of of having my defense have a guy stopped in his tracks on 3rd or 4th down and, then a player comes out of no where and smacks him over the the first down marker or into the inzone on a goal line stop. When in a real football game they would grab him and pull him back or at least go for a strip while he's distracted with the first initial hit.

Not come from behind hit him and send him flying forward!!! Also momentum, i hope they are intergrating the hit power with the speed and momentum of the type of body/weight coming at you as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
So what's the difference? I hear you on the exaggerated hits thing, but ultimately the hit stick gives the user more control over a button press. One control, 2 potential attacks- high and low.

I'm not saying the over-the-top tackle animations shouldn't go, but that has nothing to do with the mechanic itself. We're basically arguing the difference between a button and a stick... the advantage of the stick, I can have a corner take out the legs or a linebacker take a guy's head off. If the risk associated with the choice is well balanced, and the hits are realistic looking... but still reserving the big hits for hit-stick shots... then I prefer the hit stick.
If I'm understanding you correctly than I think this is the way it should go. The stick is merely the control scheme of how you want to hit a guy (high/low) and then the physics and ratings determine whether it's a simple high tackle, low tackle, missed tackle or big hit (high or low).

There are lots of times where I want to chop a RBs leg out when I'm controlling my safety, but I'm not necessarily looking for an over the top animation, it's just the way I want to approach my tackle. I think in terms of implementing risk, that should go by whether or not the guy has a high tackle rating (for amounts of times he misses a tackle) and whether or not it's a big hit should be determined by a hitting power rating.

Then again, if someone has a high rating in both of these categories, it might be a no risk situation, so it's kind of hard to decide, because there should be a risk element involved when trying to go for a big hit.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #54
Pro

OVR: 9

I wanted to vote for the last two, but I chose to limit it to those individuals with hard hitting weapons. I made a thread about how hackneyed this feature is now. I'll find it later.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hit stick should stay but weight needs to play a bigger factor. Im tired of seeing 220lb safeties laying out my 275lb FB!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #56
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz
Then again, if someone has a high rating in both of these categories, it might be a no risk situation, so it's kind of hard to decide, because there should be a risk element involved when trying to go for a big hit.
Even if the player is rated high in each area the situation should add to the risk. Situation is actually probably as much of a risk factor as ability. If a guy has been hit and bounced off of the hit but has lost forward momentum and you are hitting him from the side you have a stationary target who probably doesn't see the hit coming. Anyone can make that hit without a lot of risk.

On the other hand if you have a back with a good set of moves one on one in the open field and you try to run in full speed and make a hit rather than breaking down and tackling right there should be a huge risk of him making you miss regardless of ratings.

I am not saying ratings shouldn't matter but like in the first one if you have 99 in both ratings you should make a big hit every time save for maybe 1 out of 5000. If your hit power rating is low however, like 40, then you should only make a big hit maybe 60 or 70 percent of the time and if the tackle is around 40 you should miss the guy like maybe 15% of the time.

In the second one if you go for the hit and have 99s in both ratings you should still only make the hit maybe 20% of the time. If you break down then it will take away the chance for a big hit but should improve your tackle chance to around 50%. with the 40 ratings then trying to make the hit you should only make contact maybe 10% of the time and only make the hit maybe half of those times. If you break down you might make contact like 25 % of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »