Home

Defensive Player Stances: Pre-Play

This is a discussion on Defensive Player Stances: Pre-Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #57
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Defensive Player Stances: Pre-Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Good thread.

The initial post is pretty misleading, that's a screenshot from Madden 06 I think. We totally re-created every single stance last year for 09...I thought the ones from before were just awful. I even dug up some of the actual images I sent the animation team...thought you guys might like this:

Attachment 13049
Attachment 13051
Attachment 13050
Attachment 13048

We did a pretty major task in the early part of 09 to create pre-play movement and to re-do the stances. In both Madden and NCAA 09 the stances above pretty much match the pictures 100%, and you should also notice things like safeties standing up (it drove me nuts to see them in a LB stance), guys walking around a bit more trying to disguise their plays, and things like the DB's lining up turned inside towards the QB. None of that was there before. But extra variety is one thing we didn't quite get to (and haven't addressed yet). New stance animations are pretty easy to create and add, but problems occur with all of the other animations that go into / out of that stance. Things like pump up crowd animations, initial moves, shifts, etc all come from that one stance animation...so if you create a brand new stance that's drastically different from the standard one, you can end up with a lot of horrible popping and gross stuff (it would definitley happen in the case of that Freeney stance you posted LBz).

I'll see if we can work some magic on this though with special blending. Maybe even layered blending? Can't promise anything but I'll take a look.
That's good enough. Thanks for checking the thread Ian.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 52

I forgot about these that we added too for pre-kickoff...they were one of my favorite "small detail" additions.

PreKickoff.JPG

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
No disrespect to our friends at EA but look at this video...Can you see 4 different players in 4 different stances at the very beginning of this video???..And this was NFL2k5???
None taken. But I don't know about this comparison...it seems as if we've got just as many stances. If I had a screenshot of a play with a guy in a show blitz assignment (like the 2k shot), we'd have that covered too.

2kandMadden.JPG

Either way, regardless of what they did or did not do, we need to get more variety in there.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #60
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Something to add on the stances should more directly on what how the defense or offensive player is about to do.... A blitzing LB stance should be different than one in a more read and react but even more in detailed if a LB is gap containment or a zone assignment his stance should show this as well conversely we should be able to use these stances to bluff these preplay reads....

For the dbs the interaction with the WR should shade more.... and we should have the ability to dictate if the a corner is playing the route inside or outside not just if he is jamming the WR or playing soft coverage.... and this should be also be something we can bluff

This isnt just fluff either 50% of the game is won or lost preplay

Its Chess not Checkers.... One thing I enjoy about the other companies game is that pre-play chess match being able to send more than one person in motion the ease of defensive assignments etc.... Speaking of that please I beg of you IAn bring back Assigned Player coverage for the defense... Being to put your number one Corner on the Number WR is priceless... Or being able to assign your Safety on a RB or TE is huge

Multiple WR stances would be welcomed as well

Last edited by BigTigLSU; 02-27-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 25

Ian-

You know what? Your folks really did a fine job raising you dude. It shows...Your a quality dude, Madden aside...your alright wit me bro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Ian-

You know what? Your folks really did a fine job raising you dude. It shows...Your a quality dude, Madden aside...your alright wit me bro.

Lol - thanks man...I don't know if everyone I work with would agree with you.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Lol - thanks man...I don't know if everyone I work with would agree with you.

lol...well you just send 'em to me and I'll straighten 'em out...lol

I'm trying my hardest to create a basic football game...and dude I have a whole new respect for what you guys do...I better stick to my strong suits and leave the game making to those who make games...lol
Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
None taken. But I don't know about this comparison...it seems as if we've got just as many stances. If I had a screenshot of a play with a guy in a show blitz assignment (like the 2k shot), we'd have that covered too.

Attachment 13056

Either way, regardless of what they did or did not do, we need to get more variety in there.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Fair enough...Just the fact that you will look at it and provide relative feedback is encouraging. Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »