Home

New Features Create Problems?

This is a discussion on New Features Create Problems? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whats Your Take On "New" Features?
I Love Them! Keep Them Coming 7 14.58%
Cool & Fun But Hurts Gameplay 3 6.25%
"Gameplay" Over "Features" Anyday 38 79.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: New Features Create Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
IMO, the vision cone was a great idea, and was implemented just fine. There's really no other way to implement that feature. The cone let the user on offense and defense know where the QB was looking. That way if you're controlling the saftey, you can read the QBs eyes and get a jump on the ball. There's really no other way to simulate that reality. Most people were complaining because it made passing more difficult( which was the point). There are a lot of things that appear in football video games that don't appear on the football field in real life (passing icons).
I agree, Vision cone was great.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 10
Icon5 Re: New Features Create Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
I agree, Vision cone was great.
I agree it was a great addition but how can it be implemented in a way that people will love? ANY SUGGESTIONS!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 10
Exclamation Re: New Features Create Problems?

The poll is already proving me right as far as there are a VERY small majority of people who buy the game based on all new features. Gameplay ultimately decides the games fate and adding to an already messed up situation with something "new" destroys the game in the end
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
IMO, the vision cone was a great idea, and was implemented just fine. There's really no other way to implement that feature.
I think it could've been more subtle. Head-tracking could've been used in combination with a different interpretation of line of sight with something other than a flashlight beam, lol... it looked ridiculous. It certainly could've been done differently, but they just didn't do it. I agree it was a nice idea, but it still looked like a flashlight beam. That's not football, that's arcade... that's some superhero stuff. Some things are great ideas as ideas, but that doesn't mean it translates well to the product; the market has rejected it and I don't think it's just because it made passing too hard (I don't see how it really made it hard, I had no trouble myself), I think because it did looked ridiculous is right at the top of the reasons.

... with all that said, I think the feature should've remained for those who did like it. I see no value in getting rid of it unless something better will be put in its place, and unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
There are a lot of things that appear in football video games that don't appear on the football field in real life (passing icons).
Yeah and most of that junk was invented by EA, it flopped and now it's being removed or defaulted off.

Also, it's not an even comparison to compare passing icons (something subtle enough to be almost ignored while playing) to a big gaudy flashlight beam that shines so bright that it overpowers the natural shine of 1pm sun, lol.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-23-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 26

So you are saying the concept of the vision cone was great but the glowing light on the field destroyed it. Then an invisible cone should work perfectly, and you will just have to hope that the guy is in your line of sight, based on your awareness rating and the direction you set your head to look.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
So you are saying the concept of the vision cone was great but the glowing light on the field destroyed it. Then an invisible cone should work perfectly, and you will just have to hope that the guy is in your line of sight, based on your awareness rating and the direction you set your head to look.
In a nutshell, because the idea of having something to track the QB's line of sight was certainly a great idea, but when you have sim heads even rejecting it I just believe it would have to be because of the way it looked. I mean, sim folks like OS'ers couldn't reject the idea of being able to track the QB unless something visual took them out of the concept of sim.

If the new head tracking accomplishes this in a more advanced way we might have something special. I never wanted to see the vision idea eliminated, I just wanted to see an effort to do it in a way that it didn't look so over-the-top.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin4QB
I agree it was a great addition but how can it be implemented in a way that people will love? ANY SUGGESTIONS!
With the new "PA" feature its simple. As the QB like in real life you scan the defense looking for tells on what coverage there in and whos if anybody is blitzing. Once you think you got what you see you pick a primary WR that you think should be open and if you guessed wrong you quickly start going thur your progressions looking for an open WR til the defense either forces you to run or throw the ball away. That same scenario can play out on sporting games. You pick your pimary WR pre-snap by pressing his button(or just keep the primary WR on the play) if he doesnt come open you press the WR or RB button to look at that player and press it again to throw the ball. Sounds simple enough!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5

Have to disagree here. The vision cone was fine as is. It made passing the ball a heck of alot harder and the "flashlight" was just fine. Maybe with PA we will get a better versi0on of the vison cone this year. Maybe thats the big feature for tomorrow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »