Home

New Features Create Problems?

This is a discussion on New Features Create Problems? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whats Your Take On "New" Features?
I Love Them! Keep Them Coming 7 14.58%
Cool & Fun But Hurts Gameplay 3 6.25%
"Gameplay" Over "Features" Anyday 38 79.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: New Features Create Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
A perfect example of a franchise that has gone features over gameplay,

NBA Live, they load up their game with new crap every year while not focusing on the core gameplay and the result is players that still "skate" around the court and overall a very arcade-like game.

On the other side, look at NBA 2k9

NBA 2k9 is easily the best NBA game of the year and what is their biggest new feature? Living Rosters, which is basically a roster update for every transaction. People might think "wow that game must be boring" but the truth is that the gameplay is phenomenal and NBA 2k9 is up there with the best basketball simulations of all time.
NBA Live finally caught up to NBA 2k this year with the DNA feature. But only cause this was a functional feature not just some gimmicky thing. Point being features are great and game savers if they have a point to them and there done right
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 25

...voted gameplay over features.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexdawg
NBA Live finally caught up to NBA 2k this year with the DNA feature. But only cause this was a functional feature not just some gimmicky thing. Point being features are great and game savers if they have a point to them and there done right
I don't want to get into this here, but find me a valid review site with live having the same score as 2k.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
I don't want to get into this here, but find me a valid review site with live having the same score as 2k.
I dont care about review sites i care about my own opinion! I didnt say it was better its just not terrible like it had been every other year. And my point for that comment was a well thought out well implemented feature can cover alot of ground.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 3

i dont mind features but i will take smoother animations and small gameplay improvements any day.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
Are you saying Superstar mode is being removed?That doesn't make sense at all...Not so much for Madden, but Campus Legend is very popular in NCAA
We had a discussion back before the new year about Superstar and I remember one of the devs talking about it in a way that made me believe it was going to be cut. I don't know if anything has changed since then, but pretty much all the people that weighed in said they hated it and didn't care if it were gone.

I never really got into Superstar or Campus legend and that's mostly because the camera angles are a joke to me. They just didn't put enough into those angles to make me believe I was that player. Then all of the pop-up overlays... it was just so annoying.

Great ideas, poor implementation. There just hasn't yet been a strong effort to make us feel like we're really on the field and part of the action with these modes.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #31
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

I think I may have misinterepted this topic due to the title. The core gameplay is very important, because everything is based off around it and it has to be solid in order for a game to be successful, no matter how pretty you try to make it (features). However, a game that lacks new features in general from the previous year isn't a good enough improvement because basically the game is a patch rather then a new edition of the franchise.

Improvements to core gameplay and have new features related to it should be able to tie in neatly together. Technically, that is required in order for the core gameplay to improve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »