Home

New Features Create Problems?

This is a discussion on New Features Create Problems? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whats Your Take On "New" Features?
I Love Them! Keep Them Coming 7 14.58%
Cool & Fun But Hurts Gameplay 3 6.25%
"Gameplay" Over "Features" Anyday 38 79.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Exclamation New Features Create Problems?

First and Foremost i want to thank Operation Sports for being the home of one of the most fair Forum communities and also i thank EA Developers for taking their time address us crazy madden fans.

Ian Says,

Donny, Josh, Phil, myself, and the rest of the design team are not fans of lead block control. It gives a big boost to impact / pancake blocking if you're controlling the blocker, but nothing about it mimics real life football. Seems like kind of the definition of a gimmick

From my point of view it seems to me that all the "New" features that are brought into the madden franchise have a short lifespan such as what will ultimately be removed the game "Lead Block". How many "New" Features have been added to the madden franchise have been removed do to exploit such as the manual Spectacular Catch?

My point here is to keep development aware that "New" features that sound "Cool" ultimately end up hurting the end result of the gameplay. What "Most" madden gamers want and some may disagree is a well balanced 4 Quarters of football which means i hope more attention is placed towards tweaking actual gameplay flaws rather than "new" additions to the game that take time away from more serious issues.

If Madden 10 came out tomorrow and the graphics were the same as 09 and you erased ALL features but you fixed the tweaks in the gameplay i would be one happy customer and this was just an example of what is more important to us all "Gameplay" over "Features"...........anyday

This is not a bash to development but im helping them to be aware of an issue that came to me earlier today. I am in no way shape or form taking ian's quote to point him and others out but to show other gamers that they are realizing their mistakes

Update
The features that im speaking towards are Gameplay features but any additions to different modes such as franchise and more i like alot

Last edited by Blazin4QB; 02-23-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: New Features Create Problems?

The real issue is that any time you add or remove something you run the risk of screwing up the code you already have in place.

If it's going to take a lot of work to remove something then it's not worth doing especially if nothing is going to be put in its place. I mentioned that in the thread Ian posted but I don't think anyone is paying attention to it because they hate Lead blocker so much, lol, which is understandable. Still though, you have to stop and think about what getting rid of something is going to mean to the bigger picture, because that's far more important than just the desire to see a hated feature go. I hate ringbuilder, but does getting rid of it mean precious work time gone that could've been devoted to something more important? If so, then 86ing it is a bad idea.

If you get rid of something because people complain that it negatively affects the online experience, then you disable it for online play. If it's a 2-player in-person issue, then you disable it for that. But whatever you do, if you put nothing in it's place and the work time took away from other things, then we all lose.

The fact that we're even here thinking like this is an indication of just how many incredible errors in judgement were made with a lot of these features in the first place. You can run down the list and see all the features people would rather be gone in favor of things that are just basic amenities of a football game. So I applaud the devs for wanting to reverse course and get back to basics, but the cost of time has to be weighed against the desire of making removals. I imagine they've done that, but it hasn't been said so I can't know for sure.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

New features either skew gameplay or make it too realistic for you arcade clowns which is why they never stick. I rememebr when you could control the rb on pass routes out the backfield (poffensive playmaker I believe), that ended up being too exploitable and it had to be removed (I don't recall it being in 09 but I could be wrong). Vision cone was the most realistic thing to hit Madden in years, and everyone cried about how difficult it made the game, so they took it now too. Lead blocking I'm neutral on, so if everyone ays kill it we should kill it. Overall it aint the features, it's the players not adapting.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Vision cone was the most realistic thing to hit Madden in years, and everyone cried about how difficult it made the game, so they took it now too. Lead blocking I'm neutral on, so if everyone ays kill it we should kill it. Overall it aint the features, it's the players not adapting.
What it intended to do was a great idea, but it looked ridiculous and took away from visual realism which is actually a major factor to reproducing simulation. Maybe had they found a way to accomplish this in a better manner it would've gone over, but I think people found it hard to stomach a flashlight beaming over the field, lol. Nice idea, poorly implemented.

The other thing is that some of these things getting removed are not well-liked to begin with. Ringbuilder, Lead Blocker, Vision cone, Superstar, Weapons... all of these things flopped. There are some people who swear by them but I think it's a very small group of people. The problem is not the people or the actual concept of the features at all, it's the way they're being implemented, and because they're not being implemented well people aren't liking them. All of these things could be saved if they were just done a different way.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
What it intended to do was a great idea, but it looked ridiculous and took away from visual realism which is actually a major factor to reproducing simulation. Maybe had they found a way to accomplish this in a better manner it would've gone over, but I think people found it hard to stomach a flashlight beaming over the field, lol. Nice idea, poorly implemented.
IMO, the vision cone was a great idea, and was implemented just fine. There's really no other way to implement that feature. The cone let the user on offense and defense know where the QB was looking. That way if you're controlling the saftey, you can read the QBs eyes and get a jump on the ball. There's really no other way to simulate that reality. Most people were complaining because it made passing more difficult( which was the point). There are a lot of things that appear in football video games that don't appear on the football field in real life (passing icons).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

You HAVE to have new features in every new game. Or else it will be pointless to buy the next version for 60 bucks. Heck, you need new gameplay features to make the game a convincing new edition compare to the old game. If a feature is hurting the gameplay because it's over effective or isn't realistic, then the development team isn't doing the feature right.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 10
Wink Re: New Features Creating Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
You HAVE to have new features in every new game. Or else it will be pointless to buy the next version for 60 bucks. Heck, you need new gameplay features to make the game a convincing new edition compare to the old game. If a feature is hurting the gameplay because it's over effective or isn't realistic, then the development team isn't doing the feature right.
okay so are the 250 people in the world they are trying to impress with the "New" feature which in the end we ALL know becomes an exploit?. When we first saw the "Spectacular Catch" can you honestly tell me you didn't already see it was a problem before the game came out? How about the addition of the Wildcat formation last year that we petitioned and was eventually removed from the game. The New features are what are driving thousands of madden gamers away from the game and are leading to the demise of the Madden Franchise (Remember NBA Live?). They have a 5 million Gamer plus fanbase and they should be tending to the needs of their fans rather than the appreciation of others who dont share our passion

Last edited by Blazin4QB; 02-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

See if wildcat had the vision cone they would have balanced each other out. A RB at QB would have had a crappy vision cone, but I will stop arguing for that now. the people have spoken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »