Home

Stars Vs. Joes (Defense Edition)

This is a discussion on Stars Vs. Joes (Defense Edition) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About The Defense?
Drastically Improve The Effectiveness of Awareness 3 21.43%
I Like The Way The Defense Is Already 0 0%
I Can't tell Stars & Joes apart 9 64.29%
The Stars already stand out 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Stars Vs. Joes (Defense Edition)

I want to shed light on the fact that Defensive players in madden are VERY hard to tell apart "skillwise" and why i say this was because me and a friend had an discussion about what really mattered with Defenses. When you use Ray Lewis does he stand out on defense more than a 78 overall linebacker who can accomplish the same things? my question to you all is what actually STANDS OUT to you?.

I cannot pinpoint something aside from speed and catch for things we all look for in teams and speed is the first thing we look for and not the more important factors such as AWR,Zone Coverage or Man Coverage. Why do i feel speed is the actual rating of a Cornerback? and why can a speed Cornerback Accomplish the REAL shutdown capabilties and the one who has the shutdown "icon" can't.

Why do i feel safer with Orlando Scandrick Covering Randy Moss than Asante Samuel? Why is Darrick Brown of the raiders the real definition of shutdown? Why does Darrick Brown come into madden and instantly earn a 98 Speed? Why does SPEED have such a baring on the game? Why are there 50 Rating Categories and only 4-8 that actually matter for each position? Why when Darrick Brown or any 98 Speed cornerbacks able to not only be placed on offense but also able to be a legitamate offensive weapon? Why are the speed of the Raiders defense more appealing than the steelers?

I believe in the defensive department there should be a MAJOR change on the most important rating today which is from speed to AWARENESS. When the ball is hiked and there is a run play Ray Lewis should immediately react to the ball and be able to make tackles like in reality. Troy Polamalu (if you watch football) is ALWAYS on every tackle because of his field awareness and the awareness on defense IS the defense and this should be implemented in the game. If Defensive Awareness became a more boosted effectiveness the game badly needs.

The steelers on paper look like one of the best defenses in madden but on the field this is not the case because of what? you guessed it lack of SPEED. AWARENESS IS THE KEY TO FIXING DEFENSE AND HELPING THE STAR PLAYERS STAND OUT.

im interested in hearing arguements from you guys (n gals if any)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Stars Vs. Joes (Defense Edition)

I didn't read you're entire post, but I'm hoping some of this is addressed when they scale back some of the ratings. Hopefully, we'll see some of the studs on defense stand out then.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Rookie

Wink Re: Stars Vs. Joes (Defense Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I didn't read you're entire post, but I'm hoping some of this is addressed when they scale back some of the ratings. Hopefully, we'll see some of the studs on defense stand out then.

no problem for not reading the entire post but i do appreciate the feedback in a reply
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

What about those guys, say like a Dexter Manley, who is a monster of an athlete yet dumb as a brick?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

What the weapon icon does not help? JK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1976
What the weapon icon does not help? JK

hey this isnt about sarcasm but to help devs be aware of issues so please guys keep it on subject thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

nah, cool. I wonder if this ties into the new procedural awareness? If stars have higher awareness they should spot and track the play faster and better, right.

Also, one caveat to stud defensive players with increased awareness is not to have them too good and always busting up plays, big hitting, etc.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1976
nah, cool. I wonder if this ties into the new procedural awareness? If stars have higher awareness they should spot and track the play faster and better, right.

Also, one caveat to stud defensive players with increased awareness is not to have them too good and always busting up plays, big hitting, etc.
Increased awareness IS the solution and why not have ray lewis busting up run plays when he has the opportunity? only stars should have this because right now i can use a 67 overall linebacker and he will be just as effective as any linebacker in the game because they are all mindless 3D figures for now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »