Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog - Improvements to QB Position

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog - Improvements to QB Position within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #169
Rookie
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Nov 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Please don't have that QB vision/flashlight thing that was on one of the former Madden games on by default. I hated how that looked during gameplay, it looked like a gimmick. I understand the reason behind it, but lets get back to playing straight up sim football. No weapons, icons, flashlights, attached to players, have the game look like you are watching a real NFL game.
I agree the icons should be toned down a bit. Most of us know which players can do what. However, the Vision Cone/light doesn't detract from the look or feel of the game.

Since you expressed you understand the reason for the Vision Cone, why do you describe it as a gimmick? It is effective if you are good at using it and it also prevents user's from throwing blindly. It is also realistic because the QB has to see who he is throwing to and the light allows you to look defenders off and use precision passing.
__________________
Will > Skill.
SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors
Just let your soul glo...feeling all so silky smoove!
Stikskillz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #170
All Star
 
splff3000's Arena
 
OVR: 32
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Blog Entries: 3
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Please don't have that QB vision/flashlight thing that was on one of the former Madden games on by default. I hated how that looked during gameplay, it looked like a gimmick. I understand the reason behind it, but lets get back to playing straight up sim football. No weapons, icons, flashlights, attached to players, have the game look like you are watching a real NFL game.
Sorry to get off topic fellas, but how can you say take out vision cone and then let's get back to straight up sim football. The vision cone is/was sim football. You may not have liked the way it looked on the field, but it was no gimmick.
__________________
PSN - Splff3000
Twitch
splff3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #171
Rookie
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Nov 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Sorry to get off topic fellas, but how can you say take out vision cone and then let's get back to straight up sim football. The vision cone is/was sim football. You may not have liked the way it looked on the field, but it was no gimmick.
Not off topic at all! This has everything to do with QB improvements. Good to read someone else shares my perspective.
__________________
Will > Skill.
SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors
Just let your soul glo...feeling all so silky smoove!
Stikskillz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #172
MVP
 
Danimal's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,165
Blog Entries: 4
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
I have a question about the accuracy section. Don't know if this was mentioned....

Based on your new algorithm...It seems like there's no way that a ball can be thrown behind the receiver. I think having an inaccurate qb throw right behind a receiver running an out and into the waiting safeties arms would be good too.

I'm no programmer (or artist obviously ) but this is how it should look imo. I understand the smaller the area the less odds of the ball being thrown around that area which is why you went for the new shape. But the same should be done in a smaller fashion for the opposite side.



Just my opinion. Don't know if it's feasible or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your chart.

EXCELLENT work overall though Ian .
In my opinion you're reading the chart wrong, the WR circle is not the target, the dashed circle is the perfect throw. So there is a small chance of throwing behind the receiver and the chance to throw wide, high or low grows as it goes out. In essence pretty much spot on for an out pattern IMO.
Danimal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #173
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 40
Join Date: Jul 2002
Blog Entries: 8
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Sorry to get off topic fellas, but how can you say take out vision cone and then let's get back to straight up sim football. The vision cone is/was sim football. You may not have liked the way it looked on the field, but it was no gimmick.
Even if the vision cone was/is sim, he can still say get rid of it, because a game can be sim without it. And if a game can be sim without it, what need would there be for it except as some add on, that's an option at best and irrelevant at worst.

Last edited by LBzrule; 02-24-2009 at 04:29 PM.
LBzrule is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #174
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Jul 2008
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Absolutely awesome.

If we can get some new throws added in as a result of the new ratings (i.e. touch passes, instead of just bullets and lobs), this will be amazing. Cover 2 will become a very viable defense package against those QBs that flat out can't stretch out the safeties deep.

And I love the fact that someone who gets sacked while throwing will throw interceptions, incompletions etc again. I hated having a guy wrapped around the QB and the QB is able to get off a laser perfect pass.

In the end, I hope this technology leads to passing that is slightly harder (yet, with a good touch pass, will allow you to beat defenses). When you're no longer able to complete a 10 yard pass, given 3 chances every time, people will start running the ball again.
dregnus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #175
49ers
 
adembroski's Arena
 
OVR: 43
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 5,624
Blog Entries: 20
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Even if the vision cone was/is sim, he can still say get rid of it, because a game can be sim without it. And if a game can be sim without it, what need would there be for it except as some add on, that's an option at best and irrelevant at worst.
I liked the vision cone a lot, but yeah, it doesn't, in and of itself, decide whether Madden is "sim" or not. The same effect can be simulated in a number of ways, which we've had endless discussion about.

The biggest problem with the sim argument is that we want to, for the most part, retain control. In most cases, more control = less sim, and vica virca. By putting the function of the vision cone (to make smart, experienced QBs commensurately better than their lesser counterparts) under the hood, you make the game "more sim" by taking control away from the player.

The nice thing about the vision cone is that it struck a good balance between sim and control. However, it was probably too much control as it made the player's job more difficult, and often frustrating. Much as I liked it, I'd rather see something less intrusive.
__________________
There are two types of people on OS: Those who disagree with me, and those who agree.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
adembroski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #176
MVP
 
atlplayboy23's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: May 2003
Re: New Madden NFL 10 blog post - QB improvements

Yes im very excited
atlplayboy23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Top -