Home

New QB Ratings. Who gets what?

This is a discussion on New QB Ratings. Who gets what? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 18
Re: New QB Ratings. Who gets what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I think for most of these things it should look like
Elite 90 - 99
Near the top - 80 - 89
Good 70 - 79
Average 60 - 69
Below Average 50 - 59
Weak 40 - 49
non positional ratings that someone uses occasionally or for positions they played in the past or areas they are really weak 30 - 39
ratings in skills not used by a player 0 - 20

Pretty close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS-One
Flacco should have a throw power of about 96, deep ball accuracy of 90, medium accuracy of 77, and short accuracy of 73-ish. Throw on the run of about 45, and play action of 68.

This, of course, incorporating the new, expanded rating scale.
I graded him better than that.

I graded him deep ball - 88
Medium - 81
Short - 80
On the Run -68
Play Action - 85 (considering that's when he had his best games this past year, when we were able to run and run play action off of it)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #43
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Elite 90 - 99
Near the top - 80 - 89
Good 70 - 79
Average 60 - 69
Below Average 50 - 59
Weak 40 - 49
non positional ratings that someone uses occasionally or for positions they played in the past or areas they are really weak 30 - 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Pretty close.
This being the case, then I'd re-rate Tony Romo:

Deep Pass Accuracy: 73

Medium Pass Accuracy: 80 (max)

Short Pass Accuracy: 86

Throwing on the Run: 65

Play-Action: 55
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Yes, there are players who move around and who fit outside the mold. This is more prevalent the younger players are and the lower the level they are playing at.

Also, most of the ratings that are going to be in these lower areas for most players will be the skill type ratings. Physical attributes will obviously be more non positional.

I don't really see a lot of QBs moving to LB but since that is the example you mentioned I will discuss that. I would agree that if you have a player who in high school played both sides of the ball or a player who is very athletic and strong or for whatever reason although he is a quarterback he has the physical ability to play linebacker.

I generally figure for instance that most quarterbacks should have tackle ratings, read play ratings, coverage ratings, etc... in the lowest area, 0 - 20 but if this guy has some experience using these other skills he might be up in the 30 - 39 or even the 40 - 49 area. If you move him over to LB while he is young then he will already have the physical abilities and with those skills being low with practice they will develop relatively quickly. If he moves to LB then skills he doesn't use should in my opinion atrophy as they are not being used.

This way players won't really be able to move back and forth constantly between several positions and the older they get the tougher it will be for them to change.

This way when a player is coming in to college where moving around is prevalent then a player who is versatile and really fits into another position could move over and be able to contribute pretty soon. With just the physical skills it might take a year or two.

However, if this player stays in his initial position through 3 or 4 or 5 years of college then you try to change them it will be more difficult, especially since they need to be at an even higher level to be successful, so it will be tougher to change their position.

Now if you leave them in their original position until they have been in the pros for 10 years it will be really tough to move them and they will probably only bring the physical abilities and any transferable abilities to the table.

I used that example because my highschool had the #1 defensive player in Florida a year or two ago and he was also one of like 4-5 QB/RBs(Pine Forest Highschool) Horaczeo Crawford or Alfred Morris I honestly dont remember which one got it because I didnt follow my schools team that much but my friend told me about it. We rushed for something like 5000 yards in a season that year and those two were a big part of it.
http://fausports.cstv.com/sports/m-f..._alfred00.html

We obviously didnt pass the ball much but they could still throw the ball, run the ball, and play defense but at the next lvl if they choose to play defense they will have their stats cut on the offensive side and if they play offense they will cut their defensive stats. its stupid because you dont just lose your skill set of how good you were, you may become less polished but you still can fit back into it.

Ray Lewis could have played running back but he chose to play defense and look at his offensive stats. 10 truck, 55 elu, 55 bcv, 70 sfa, 40 spn, 50 juke, and 60 carry.

http://www.pxdrive.com/album/RAY+LEW...tures_cyrapic/
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Elite 90 - 99
Near the top - 80 - 89
Good 70 - 79
Average 60 - 69
Below Average 50 - 59
Weak 40 - 49
Without getting overly technical here. I'm sure there is a breakdown of all the QB's completion percentages by yard depth(we see these QB stat overlays all the time during NFL games). For example:

T. Brady
0-10yds 5-6 @ 83%
10-20yds 7-9 @ 77%
20-35yds 4-8 @ 50%
40+ yds 1-3 @ 33%

If we could get the past 3 seasons completion percentage averages broken out this way we can rate each QB accurately according to their performance's on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #46
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Donny,

How are deep, middle & short pass accuracy ratings related? Does a 90 for deep passes equal the same success rate as a 90 for short passes?

Last edited by BezO; 02-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 29

Brady Quinn

1. Deep Ball Accuracy: 77
2. Medium Passing Accuracy: 82
3. Short Passing Accuracy: 84
4. Throw on the Run: 59
5. Play Action: 78

Derek Anderson

1. Deep Ball Accuracy: 78
2. Medium Passing Accuracy: 80
3. Short Passing Accuracy: 79
4. Throw on the Run: 30
5. Play Action: 67

Last edited by marktg30; 02-24-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 8

Please take any of the ratings suggested in here and lower them significantly. One of the better posts already this year was how you stretched the ratings ranges.

If every QB has a deep passer rating between 85-100 it isn't going to make much of a difference.

There are quite a few QBs in the NFL that can't throw an accurate deep ball to save their life. Guys like Tavaris Jackson, Shaun Hill, Pennington, Garcia, and so on are terrible on deep balls. Please rate these guys accordingly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »