Home

Rocky's Problem with Player Ratings.....

This is a discussion on Rocky's Problem with Player Ratings..... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Rocky's Problem with Player Ratings.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I think we are saying the same thing. But here's my point. How can you possibly put a number rating on something like release speed. Either a QB has a quick release, an average release, or a slow, wind up release. There is very little gray area in an ability like that....certainly not enough to put it on a 0-99 scale. Same with Elusiveness, etc.
So you're saying that every elite QB has the exact same throwing accuracy and release speed, that every great QB has the exact same THA and release, and so on and so forth?

Your saying that every elite back has the exact same elusive ability, every great back has the exact same elusive, and so forth?

I don't buy it at all man. Tom Bradyy and Peyton both have great accuracy, but to say they have the exact same ability is ridiculous... The numbers are there to allow slight differences between the playeyrs and their abilities.

Afterall, Football is a game of INCHES, not 10yd increments
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Rocky's Problem with Player Ratings.....

If all that matter was bad average and good then the combine wouldn't exist. Now I am not saying that the combine determines all of player skills but it does look at the athleticism. I will say myself it should be done in pads though.

But what I am saying is that there is a difference between a 4.3 forty and 4.5 and it is huge depending on the position and other skills. This is assuming it relates to on field speed. If you watch enough football you will see most pass windows are in the tenth of seconds. So, yeah QB release speed, WR press release, speed (how ever you want to rate it), jumping, they ALL matter and in tenths of seconds. In ever game I have ever seen there is a pass play that wouldn't be complete if they were off by more then a few tenths of a second. Also, in running back whether they make a hole, break a tackle, make a guy miss on an on it comes down to a very small difference between great players and average if you look at it in a time fashion. So yeah you really need to measure these skills in accurate fashion.

I will say though that I think each players rating should be a range not static. Not everyone is the same speed or any other measurable every day OR play exactly consistently. Some people are more resistant the other but factors like health, mood, field condition, equipment, weather, FATIGUE, and so on all make a difference on how well a player performs.

Last edited by stux; 02-24-2009 at 06:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »