Home

Ian, Donnie...I agree with Apex

This is a discussion on Ian, Donnie...I agree with Apex within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Ian, Donnie...I agree with Apex

For those who haven't read his thread, it's below. I edited a few players on NCAA and Madden to see the results, but basically ACC doesn't mean squat in either game as far as gameplay. It does on offense for running backs and sim stats, but not actual gameplay. In simmed games, ACC effect YPC for RB's. I don't know about a relation with QB's and sacks taken avoided in simmed games, but everything else is not affected in sim games. Wide receivers still have 100 catch seasons in Madden and good seasons in NCAA, defenders are still collecting 100+ tackles, CB's still get numerous picks, etc. O-Linemen are not affected either, sim or in a played game.

I edited each position but QB, K, and P, and found that acceleration is a modifier for the overall rating on all positions but the three above. The more speed is needed for position, the greater the ACC category effects the OVR rating (CB, WR, etc.). It is different on Madden and NCAA as far as the importance of ACC to the OVR, but same deal. Non-factor 80% of the time. I edited several players and I have two glaring examples.

I edited a CB to have 99 TKL, SPD, AGL, 80 CTH, 75 AWR and zero ACC on NCAA (man and zone coverage have no effect on OVR) His overall...80 or 81. I edited a WR to have 99 SPD, AGL, CTH, 80 STR, AWR, and BTK. His overall? Seventy-nine because of his zero ACC rating. How do they play in the actual game? The corner was a Deion that hit like Singletary and the WR was a Rice that ran like Usain Bolt. Is it cheese? Yeah, but it was research and I don't use it in dynasy/franchise play.

I did the same thing on Madden and there were a few more tweaks, but it was the same deal. MLB's with 99 speed and agility, 80-90 AWR and tackling, all 90's finesse/power moves, block shedding, play awareness, zone and man coverage, zero ACC, but 83 overall rating. They ran the same as if they had 99 ACC, i.e. like a rocket was strapped to their back.

Apex said, more clearly than I could, that ACC should be how fast someone gets to full speed. I know I am one guy our of several million that play this game, but I think redefining agility and acceleration could help change the game. I like how guys that are considered slow can meet a Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson at the corner or the sideline (acceleration). I like how that little guy can possibly juke him (AGL). Will the the defender catch them from behind? Noooo. Never in a million years, but most of football takes place in a fifty by twenty to thirty yard section of the field on any one given play (minus special teams). Acceleration, agility, and awareness matter more in that area of play in the NFL more than anything else. In college you will have guys that rely on ability instead of ability and mental acumen and intangibles, but there is a difference in the concentration of talent in college football than in the NFL and the spread offenses in the college game has "stretched" that area of play to more like fifty yards by twenty to forty yards. In that scenario agility and acceleration mean slightly less than straight ahead speed, because in college many guys WILL run forty yards several times in a game, even as LB's or DE's, and have time to get to full speed.

On a different note, that's why the spreading out of the speed ratings are a good idea for Madden, but it doesn't matter as much for NCAA (I'm more of an NCAA fan) for me personally. I love sim gameplay and I believe the procedural awareness is a step in the right direction for both games, especially NCAA and it's lack of man pass coverage and pass rush. However, do make route running, awareness, and catching matter more in NCAA, please.

Just my two cents. As a fourteen year Madden fan I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work!

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...eleration.html
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »