Home

Weekly Preparation?

This is a discussion on Weekly Preparation? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you want a Weekly Preparation in Madden 2010
Yes 55 79.71%
No 7 10.14%
Indifferent 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Weekly Preparation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I figured that was kinda what you were getting at there. Good to see that atleast someone is on the same page as me weekly prep wise. Also so far in the poll most people seem to be for at least some form of prep with only 1 against and a couple indefinate
id like 2 see the 300 that voted to get rid of lead block lol

I was thinking if they bring Head Coach's health system that you could have players sit out practice if they were dinged up to help them heal.

Its hard to tell the difference between a 20 year old and a 30 year old vet in madden. I propose that the younger players get more physical temp boosts(2-3) if you work them hard. as well as give them a chance at the end of the season to keep a point or two in that stat depending on work ethic and health.

the chart would go something like this

20= 3-4 points of temp with max of 2-3 to keep at end of season
21= 3-4 points of temp with max of 2 to keep at end of season
22= 2-3 points of temp with max of 2 to keep at end of season
23= 2-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
24= 2-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
25= 1-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
26= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
27= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
28= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
29= 1 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
30= 1 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
after 30 if a player is still in the league he wouldnt always get temp upgrades for his physical stats unless he changed his weight.

Also, we could have them do their weight training in the offseason/training camps and have those minor physical stat increases(1-2) and(2-3) depending on age and they would keep those temp stat upgrades all season long. If a team wants to try and increase the physical temp stats further they run the risk of hurting their players but those stat boosts physically would not last all season meaning they would have to work them out every week to get it again.

This leaves them to practice, game plan, study film, and teach skill set like throwing better, play action, man/zone coverage, pretty much all the intangibles. that they could get temp boosts in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
id like 2 see the 300 that voted to get rid of lead block lol

I was thinking if they bring Head Coach's health system that you could have players sit out practice if they were dinged up to help them heal.

Its hard to tell the difference between a 20 year old and a 30 year old vet in madden. I propose that the younger players get more physical temp boosts(2-3) if you work them hard. as well as give them a chance at the end of the season to keep a point or two in that stat depending on work ethic and health.

the chart would go something like this

20= 3-4 points of temp with max of 2-3 to keep at end of season
21= 3-4 points of temp with max of 2 to keep at end of season
22= 2-3 points of temp with max of 2 to keep at end of season
23= 2-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
24= 2-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
25= 1-3 points of temp with max of 1 to keep at end of season
26= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
27= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
28= 1-2 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
29= 1 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
30= 1 points of temp with max of 0 to keep at end of season
after 30 if a player is still in the league he wouldnt always get temp upgrades for his physical stats unless he changed his weight.

Also, we could have them do their weight training in the offseason/training camps and have those minor physical stat increases(1-2) and(2-3) depending on age and they would keep those temp stat upgrades all season long. If a team wants to try and increase the physical temp stats further they run the risk of hurting their players but those stat boosts physically would not last all season meaning they would have to work them out every week to get it again.

This leaves them to practice, game plan, study film, and teach skill set like throwing better, play action, man/zone coverage, pretty much all the intangibles. that they could get temp boosts in.
Well, didn't Ian start that lead blocking thread. That is an instant like 4 times as many people looking at the thread.

Head coach had a great start to an injury system, needed some tuning and didn't take everything I would want into consideration but it was head and shoulders above any injury system I have seen in any other video game.

Another thing that should separate vets from younger players is the younger ones should be more physically talented, durable, and have more stamina on average while older players should on average have more awareness and skills. Not every player will fit this mold as some young players are very talented and some older guys are still physically very gifted but in general that should be how the mold works.

As far as physical development recent studies show that an average male body continues to develop until between 20 and 25 years of age so players should be able to develop a pretty solid amount during that age. After that physical abilities should still be able to grow but only with very strict training.

Skill type ratings on the other hand should grow faster than physical abilities at pretty much any age possibly based on some sort of a coachability type rating. These should continue to develop even after physical abilities start to decline. With more time learning these things that should be what keeps the vets in the game strong despite their declining physical abilities and what really seperates them from the younger players
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Well, didn't Ian start that lead blocking thread. That is an instant like 4 times as many people looking at the thread.

Head coach had a great start to an injury system, needed some tuning and didn't take everything I would want into consideration but it was head and shoulders above any injury system I have seen in any other video game.

Another thing that should separate vets from younger players is the younger ones should be more physically talented, durable, and have more stamina on average while older players should on average have more awareness and skills. Not every player will fit this mold as some young players are very talented and some older guys are still physically very gifted but in general that should be how the mold works.

As far as physical development recent studies show that an average male body continues to develop until between 20 and 25 years of age so players should be able to develop a pretty solid amount during that age. After that physical abilities should still be able to grow but only with very strict training.

Skill type ratings on the other hand should grow faster than physical abilities at pretty much any age possibly based on some sort of a coachability type rating. These should continue to develop even after physical abilities start to decline. With more time learning these things that should be what keeps the vets in the game strong despite their declining physical abilities and what really seperates them from the younger players

I wanted more out of the health system as well but it was amazing in comparison to the past.

If I picked up a 20 year old that had the work ethic of larry fitz im looking at 10 points to strength or speed or acc or agility or arm strength...that is a huge increase in stats physically speaking. a WR with 88 speed could end up with 98 speed if all his points stayed to his speed and thats what he was trained on/for.

I think we could get a baseline of 8 points at max for the intangibles to keep at the end of the season depending on learning(coachability) to 1 point kept for the dumb as bricks boys. if you cant learn your playbook you are just about useless in the NFL.

these stat boosts would only be from what the coaches do and I would still want to see the big upgrades and downgrades due to player performance.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I wanted more out of the health system as well but it was amazing in comparison to the past.

If I picked up a 20 year old that had the work ethic of larry fitz im looking at 10 points to strength or speed or acc or agility or arm strength...that is a huge increase in stats physically speaking. a WR with 88 speed could end up with 98 speed if all his points stayed to his speed and thats what he was trained on/for.

I think we could get a baseline of 8 points at max for the intangibles to keep at the end of the season depending on learning(coachability) to 1 point kept for the dumb as bricks boys. if you cant learn your playbook you are just about useless in the NFL.

these stat boosts would only be from what the coaches do and I would still want to see the big upgrades and downgrades due to player performance.
I think 10 points is pretty drastic for a speed increase even over a solid length of time, but with these spread out ratings probably wouldnt be over the top for a guy with great work ethinc and spending a lot of time working on his speed and maybe a diet plan that leads to weight loss. With these new ratings if you spread out speed from 1 for the slowest lineman to 99 for the fastest guy in the league then an 88 would probably be someonw who runs around a mid 4.3 40.

I know there is more that goes into a 40 than speed and more that goes into speed than a 40 but for the purposes of this discussion I think we can accept it as a general idea. This would only be shaving about a tenth of a point off of his time so that wouldn't be exactly absurd although seeing as he will probably be in pretty much top shape to start with, especially with that work ethic, it would be tough.

Also, the lower the ratings the easier they should be to improve. Moving from 70 to 71 should be easier than moving from 90 to 91.

8 points is a good point for max skill improvement per year. Obviously it would need to be tested over several seasons and maybe tuned but it seems about right for a guy with the work ethic and coaching who is working at improving those skills.

Yes, learning would be a better name for the coachability rating but I didn't want to take that due to my hoping that the learning from head coach will be brought in and that should be more of a mental learning ability whereas this should be the ability to learn from coaches and develop skills.

As I come up with these ratings one thing I really am starting to love about most of them is that they would be excelent ways to implement busts and gems as these are things that are tougher to determine about a player coming out of college. Work ethic, coachability, learning, and injuries/durability lead to way more busts and gems than physical ability or skills because they are much tougher to gauge for a player who you haven't actually coached and worked with on a long term basis and weaknesses in these areas are easier to hide until you hit that paycheck. Also these things when they are there aren't really flashy, don't lead to stats, and don't really stand out to scouts as easily
Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
I think 10 points is pretty drastic for a speed increase even over a solid length of time, but with these spread out ratings probably wouldnt be over the top for a guy with great work ethinc and spending a lot of time working on his speed and maybe a diet plan that leads to weight loss. With these new ratings if you spread out speed from 1 for the slowest lineman to 99 for the fastest guy in the league then an 88 would probably be someonw who runs around a mid 4.3 40.

I know there is more that goes into a 40 than speed and more that goes into speed than a 40 but for the purposes of this discussion I think we can accept it as a general idea. This would only be shaving about a tenth of a point off of his time so that wouldn't be exactly absurd although seeing as he will probably be in pretty much top shape to start with, especially with that work ethic, it would be tough.

Also, the lower the ratings the easier they should be to improve. Moving from 70 to 71 should be easier than moving from 90 to 91.

8 points is a good point for max skill improvement per year. Obviously it would need to be tested over several seasons and maybe tuned but it seems about right for a guy with the work ethic and coaching who is working at improving those skills.

Yes, learning would be a better name for the coachability rating but I didn't want to take that due to my hoping that the learning from head coach will be brought in and that should be more of a mental learning ability whereas this should be the ability to learn from coaches and develop skills.

As I come up with these ratings one thing I really am starting to love about most of them is that they would be excelent ways to implement busts and gems as these are things that are tougher to determine about a player coming out of college. Work ethic, coachability, learning, and injuries/durability lead to way more busts and gems than physical ability or skills because they are much tougher to gauge for a player who you haven't actually coached and worked with on a long term basis and weaknesses in these areas are easier to hide until you hit that paycheck. Also these things when they are there aren't really flashy, don't lead to stats, and don't really stand out to scouts as easily

10 is the max and would be rare because there arent to many 20 year olds that pop into the nfl. it drops down to 7 total at 21 and i feel that its a solid number for a really hard worker to increase by example again larry fitz cz he got lean this year and look how much faster he was in real life and in madden(from 88 speed in madden to 93 i think)

maybe we are going about this the wrong way....instead of using the ok he gains one point for this and that...stay with me...it should be like head coach but on a different scale.

A player with 70 speed would require say 100 points to improve to 71 this could be the scale until they hit like 85 speed then it costs 200 and at 90 it costs 300 and at 95+ it may take 500+. A 20 year old player would have the potential to get 1000-1500 points by the time he hits 25. this limits the fast players from becoming ungodly fast(because fast players normally dont get to much faster) and will let the slower players increase their 40 times by that tenth of a second.

The same scale could apply for strength, acc, agility, throw power ect ect but you would have a limit to how much the guy can grow so you have to choose wisely how you train him.

What makes the point system so amazing is for each pound lost/gained(or every 5 pounds) you can add/subtract points to
speed/acc(100) and add/subtract them from strength(100) making it easier to put in long lasting player weight change.

I used Learning because if a player cant learn his playbook it means hes not very coachable and it would give added value to the learning rating besides how fast they learn their playbook

These things would add so much depth to the game and bring it closer to how the world is really like.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #30
MVP

Since this is mostly just us no real point in continually quoting eachother. I agree with the points thing, kinda fits in with what I said about it being easier to gain at lower levels. I really like that idea.

Also, yes some of these things need to be rare, players like fitz are pretty rare. Especially guys who combine that kind of talent with that work ethic, but that would really make them special when you find them through the draft. Especially when you pick up that late round steal who starts out pretty weak but makes the team due to his work ethic etc and then develops into a top player.

Also, I think it would be cool to draft a "top notch franchise QB" who achieves that status due to great physical abilities but due to attitude problems, or not being able to learn the system, or weak intangebles along with a lack of ability to develop them or for whatever reason is unable to ever become a good NFL QB.

I agree that learning and coachability are pretty closely linked and if they added them as one rating I would be thrilled. I also can see where they could be added as two seperate ratings but I am generally in favor of adding more ratings to help define each specific skill. Either way I would be very happy just to hear that something along those lines was added.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #31
MVP

I would want to refine the points so you dont end up with a DT that gains 10 points of speed like maybe making players with bigger weight and shorter height(like a height to weight ratio) that raises the points needed to increase those skills like a 340 pound 6'2 DT needs like 250-300 to raise his speed from 55 to 56 but his strength would only take 100-150 to increase from 80-81 or maybe more points just depends on how they want to balance it out.

It would be great to have players like that and see busts happen or pick up gems in the 7th round.

I would like players to have attitudes including the negative and the positive like the ray lewis and so on and so forth but idk if they will add them into madden this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #32
MVP

Also if someone say juilus peppers comes in...who is like 6'7' 283...they would have to balance the speed to the strength points because he is very tall and big enough to be strong. so say a player that size would have to get 150-200 at 75 speed/strength to lvl a point up increasing but at about 80ish speed would start to cost more then strength because of how big he is. its easier to get stronger then faster at that size

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »