Home

Franchise Idea: Studying Film

This is a discussion on Franchise Idea: Studying Film within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 18
Franchise Idea: Studying Film

Im not sure if anyone has proposed this, but I think an awesome addition to franchise mode would be the ability to study film as the head coach. I know the team from Head Coach 09 have joined the Madden team and I hope they really marry these two properties well.

Imagine entering week 10 of your franchise season and you are about to face the Baltimore Ravens. Now imagine being able to go back through the first 9 weeks of their highlights to identify trends/stengths/weakness employed by their offense and defense. The more film you study, the more the game identifies what your opponent is doing - allowing you to expose, neutralize and counter some of the things they tend to do. Perhaps resulting in a small boost for your players - depending on the type of trend you discover. This is what teams do in real life.

A second option would be to pay for Team Scouting as a substantial part of your franchise budget. The more the spend the better scouting you receive. In essense this would send scouts to upcoming opponent's games to identify their strengths and weaknesses. Then before your game with that team to have a printed report that would give you some specific tips or hints on how to beat them. "Baltimore is running the to the left 80% of the time." Good to know! : )

I understand this might not be for everyone, but I think would be a great option that would further immerse us into our franchises by having to pay greater attention to your opponents. Im all about making my team feel like a small part of a bigger league. What do you think?

Last edited by johnprestonevans; 02-25-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Franchise Idea: Studying Film

^^^ That would be crazy. I think a way to get there for the devs would be to have the plays play out based on the teams recorded tendencies so that the film actually represents the way the teams play. I say that because it wouldn't be too kosher if say you watched film and they passed 70% of the time and then you got in the game and they ran 70% instead.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 02-25-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

See this is another one of those ideas that sounds great, but in reality would be dang near impossible to pull off. I mean that would mean the computer would actually have to save every play from every game over the course of the year, and that my friend is a lot of disk space. The easier thing is similar to what the Watcher said. Have a scout tell you about the other teams tendencies and have the computer play the game according to that. allowing the computer to throw a curve-ball in there every now and then, would also add to the randomness of the game,i.e. have the Vikings come out one game airing the ball out with Tarvaris Jackson, despite your scouting reports. This mimics real football in many ways.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Rookie

KingCashus's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
See this is another one of those ideas that sounds great, but in reality would be dang near impossible to pull off. I mean that would mean the computer would actually have to save every play from every game over the course of the year, and that my friend is a lot of disk space. The easier thing is similar to what the Watcher said. Have a scout tell you about the other teams tendencies and have the computer play the game according to that. allowing the computer to throw a curve-ball in there every now and then, would also add to the randomness of the game,i.e. have the Vikings come out one game airing the ball out with Tarvaris Jackson, despite your scouting reports. This mimics real football in many ways.
Exactly.

Maybe in the future we could have Jaws and/or Hodgie break down film from the most important games/plays of the week ala NFL Matchup. In the words of Bill Lumburgh: "That would be greeeat."

NBA 2K14 Next Gen is a must-buy.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 18

Instead of using video to plan HOW you are going to play your opponent then, perhaps the act of watching film accumulates a boost to the "offensive awareness" or "defensive awareness" or whatever of the affected packages. I agree it would be frustrating to sit though an hour of film only to have the team play a completely different style of play. But that is life...that does happen. Teams change their strategies from week to week. Maybe the answer is to simply reward you for doing research on your opponent with some temporary skill points? As far as having every play being saved for an entire season, what if its just a package of "highlights" per week per team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
Instead of using video to plan HOW you are going to play your opponent then, perhaps the act of watching film accumulates a boost to the "offensive awareness" or "defensive awareness" or whatever of the affected packages. I agree it would be frustrating to sit though an hour of film only to have the team play a completely different style of play. But that is life...that does happen. Teams change their strategies from week to week. Maybe the answer is to simply reward you for doing research on your opponent with some temporary skill points? As far as having every play being saved for an entire season, what if its just a package of "highlights" per week per team?
If somehow implemented, it should go both ways--the cpu should become more aware of your tendencies as well.

I don't like the idea of boosting any attributes as a result, however, except for awareness--and even then, it would have to be minimal.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 39

Good idea ...sounds a lot like weekly preparations.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

IDK,I kind of feel,leave all this stuff for Head Coach,Madden is all about playing the game on the field,give me good game presentation,fix the player progression,and give me good gameplay and I'll be satisfied,I wish they would go back to the old xbox offseason,do your training(add a few more),have your position battles,get your progressions,then move forward to season play and every 4 weeks get some more player progressions from the way they play.All this other stuff we have to do now b/f each game is tedious.Like I said,Gameplay,presentation,franchise all needs to be fixed b/f they go and add some new content like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »