Home

There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker).

This is a discussion on There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker). within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: There is no such thing as a ROLB(right outside linebacker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
In a 3-4 scheme OLB are usually the same.
In the 3-4 the best pass rushing outside LB( Demarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman) almost always lines up on the weak side for a better match up.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #34
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
The Packers don't even have the personnel to run the 3-4, let alone the OLBs that can play on the strong or weak side. Good luck to the Packers.

I'll comment on this and just say with the ROLB or LOLB that there are teams that still use that terminology. I'll also stand by the statement that this would definitely throw off the casuals. I wouldn't mind it for the sim people as an option at some point.

As for the Packers, I don't think you are necessarily correct in your assessment they don't have the personnel to play the 3-4. This is directed at BeZo as well.

A. Kampan will switch to LB. He will probably as you refer to it become the WILL position. Barnett and Hawk can man the MIKE position and Chillar will man the SAM position. They also have Bishop and Tracy White to compete for positions.

B. Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett will play on the line. It's up in the air who else will be a DL.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
...I'll also stand by the statement that this would definitely throw off the casuals...
What makes you say that? A casual Madden gamer is not necessarily a casual football fan. And if they're that casual about Madden & the NFL, they could probably care less what EA calls the LBs.

But I think a casual gamer would enjoy his rush LB being put in a position to rush, automatically, so he doesn't have to do it.

Quote:
As for the Packers, I don't think you are necessarily correct in your assessment they don't have the personnel to play the 3-4. This is directed at BeZo as well.

A. Kampan will switch to LB. He will probably as you refer to it become the WILL position. Barnett and Hawk can man the MIKE position and Chillar will man the SAM position. They also have Bishop and Tracy White to compete for positions.

B. Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett will play on the line. It's up in the air who else will be a DL.
This is an example of why Madden needs will & sam OLBs. Converted DEs are usually rushers, with little coverage experience, who will be put in a position to rush the QB most of the time. How do you think those casual gamers you speak of will feel when Kampan spends half the game covering TEs?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #36
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
What makes you say that? A casual Madden gamer is not necessarily a casual football fan. And if they're that casual about Madden & the NFL, they could probably care less what EA calls the LBs.

But I think a casual gamer would enjoy his rush LB being put in a position to rush, automatically, so he doesn't have to do it.

This is an example of why Madden needs will & sam OLBs. Converted DEs are usually rushers, with little coverage experience, who will be put in a position to rush the QB most of the time. How do you think those casual gamers you speak of will feel when Kampan spends half the game covering TEs?
I really don't think a casual fan would notice if Kampan is rushing the passer or covering a LB.

If they don't notice, then I guess it's ok to have it in the game. I was just thinking the jargon would throw them off if they have never heard it before, wouldn't you agree?

I'll go back to my casual cousin Madden player. He's told me he doesn't want things to technical. All his buddies care about is getting on the field , playing against each other and declaring bragging rights.

I totally agree with your last paragraph.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 26

Thats assuming Kampman cant cover though
Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #38
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I really don't think a casual fan would notice if Kampan is rushing the passer or covering a LB.
But they may notice they're constantly getting beat by the TE. They might notice they're not getting pressure. If anything, putting they players in the right place would only help the casual gamer.

Quote:
If they don't notice, then I guess it's ok to have it in the game. I was just thinking the jargon would throw them off if they have never heard it before, wouldn't you agree?
Maybe, but if they don't know what a will is, did they know what a trap was? A sweep? Cover 3? Zone Blitz? Over/Under? It would only be a few new terms. And I don't think the sim heads would be mad if EA used more commone terms like weak & strong. If they're even paying attention, after they see their OLBs swap sides a few times, they'll get.

Quote:
I'll go back to my casual cousin Madden player. He's told me he doesn't want things to technical. All his buddies care about is getting on the field , playing against each other and declaring bragging rights.
I doubt the correct labeling of a position could stop them from doing any of that?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 29

I agree with Roadman, but I'm also a huge football nut so I can appreciate what Tito and others are saying, however you have to remember this is a football video game that has to appeal to every type of football fan from the casual to the hardcore. Also don't forget how many kids play this game and some of the stuff you guys are referring to would be completely over their heads.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 11

there's sooo many names for positions out there, the position i play for with my college team is called a bandit, there's a whip and a stinger

in high school we ran a 3-4 defense and we were labeled the bandit and will backers, and then there were the sam and mike inside linebackers with the sam being on the strong side and the bandit being on the strong side most of the time and depending on what package we were in and everything

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »