Home

From Ian's twitter: some AI strategy fixes

This is a discussion on From Ian's twitter: some AI strategy fixes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #73
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: From Ian's twitter: some AI strategy fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSherrod
LOL at Madden A.I. being C++. I was looking at that and was like, is that an if-else statement? I'm in a basic C++ class now and jI can only imagine the pain of debugging all that code.
A lot of languages are based off of C and any language I have used has had if-else statements. Not that much of a surprise.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #74
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Yeah...QB tendencies...we've definitely talked about that.

This logic (that I've been working on) though is wholly contained CPU play calling logic based on situation...the decision making of the CPU QB on the field during the play is a whole different set of (rather complex) logic that I can't tune myself.
I have bought every Madden game for the last 10 years. I have done extensive testing and research on CPU QBs. They don't seem to have a read progression.

In other words: most NFL plays are designed so that if you get X coverage you throw to Y receiver. The plays in Madden, and the CPU QBs who run them don't seem to have that element. Plays are called at random, and if the CPU really needs a play and everyone is covered it forces MY DEFENDER to suddenly and inexplicably run away from his assignment so the CPU can have a completion.

1) Will there be a read progression for CPU QBs?

2) Will teams run plays based on strategy (i.e. if I blitz alot will they set up and run screens to attack it)?

3) When everyone is covered will there be a logical action by the QB, such as throwing the ball away?

4) Lastly, will you PLEASE (I BEG OF YOU) stop the CPU from cheating by taking control of my players and running them out of the play so that the CPU can have a completion on crucial downs?

Thanks Ian.

Signed: Ian's new fanboy.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #75
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I have bought every Madden game for the last 10 years. I have done extensive testing and research on CPU QBs. They don't seem to have a read progression.

In other words: most NFL plays are designed so that if you get X coverage you throw to Y receiver. The plays in Madden, and the CPU QBs who run them don't seem to have that element. Plays are called at random, and if the CPU really needs a play and everyone is covered it forces MY DEFENDER to suddenly and inexplicably run away from his assignment so the CPU can have a completion.

1) Will there be a read progression for CPU QBs?

2) Will teams run plays based on strategy (i.e. if I blitz alot will they set up and run screens to attack it)?

3) When everyone is covered will there be a logical action by the QB, such as throwing the ball away?

4) Lastly, will you PLEASE (I BEG OF YOU) stop the CPU from cheating by taking control of my players and running them out of the play so that the CPU can have a completion on crucial downs?

Thanks Ian.

Signed: Ian's new fanboy.
To be honest, I really don't think the CPU just starts cheating on crucial plays. It cheats throughout the game if you actually pay attention. Its just that when its late in the game, the CPU becomes ultra aggressive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #76
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
To be honest, I really don't think the CPU just starts cheating on crucial plays. It cheats throughout the game if you actually pay attention. Its just that when its late in the game, the CPU becomes ultra aggressive.
No doubt. I was not trying to identify the entire problem of cheating, just one particular pattern that the CPU engaged in.

You make a great point, though.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 24

Another area of strategy - onside kicks.
They happen every so often.
It would be cool to see onside kicks where it wasn't so obvious. A surprise onside kick.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnada
- The cpu timeout at exactly 1:01 left in the Half very static and annoying
!

Since like Madden 99 this has been happening! WHats the deal with that??
Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 13

just tied the game at 24-24 with 50 secs left...

the comp starts it's final drive... i sack the first down so 2 and 17... the comp uses a timeout.. then it runs on 2nd down... stop em for 2 yards... so 3rd and 15... they use a timeout??!?!...they run again on 3rd and 15 and get nothing so i use a timeout... 4th and 15th and punting giving me the ball back with 30 secs or so left?!?!? pure stupidity. why use the timeouts if you're gonna run it?!?!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #80
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Here is one of the biggest problems I have had with Madden for years....

When a QB is struggling with 4-5 INTs - Take him out!!!

I don't know that any type of documentation or evidence is necessary... Just play the CPU and pick them off 4-5 times and see if the QB gets pulled. (Hint - He Won't)
Yeah, the Cardnals Simed this against the Panthers and for some reason the CPU AI kept Jake Delhome in.

But in all seriousnes I know they kept im in because it was playoffs. Also, this is a problem in madden.

More importantly, the computer needs to comit to the run more. I don't even play franchise mode on 360 because it is so terrible, but in play now and LegacyGen Maddens the computer would hardly even call the run and would abandon the run if it wasn't imediately/consistantly sucessful. And why should it? In most cases the computer just makes the right reads when it needs them and will beat you with the pass *on all madden mode.*

It isn't that I am terrible on Pass D and fantastic on Run D. Online I am very good at confusing opponants and applying pressure and forcing bad/ill-timed throws. Also, players online who commit to a sound running game actually force me to be more conservative with my play calling to contain them. the computer doesn't do this at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »