Home

Other Ideas for QB ratings.

This is a discussion on Other Ideas for QB ratings. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Other Ideas for QB ratings.

I figure it may not be too late too implement a few new ratings for QBs. (Hopefully!)

I think the new ratings are gonna be great for helping to make QBs play differently, but I still think that they will fail to truly capture the intangible elements of being a QB. Especially the winners from the QBs with great talent, and the young QBs from the vets.

For example. QBs' like Joe Flacco have incredible arms He can make all the throws accurately and with zip on the ball. We will honestly be cheating him if he has less than 85 on any of the ACC modifiers. Jeff George was a gifted passer, as was Drew Bledsoe, it was their lack of intangibles that made them who they are. On the other hand you have Bernie Kosar, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, etc. QBs who have far less in terms of tools than the previous, but were great players because of their immeasurable abilities. So the question is how do you "rate" immeasurables, it cant just be awareness. In fact i think that Awareness can be gotten rid of all together to make room for ratings like...

Throwing under pressure- Throw on the run is cool, but it doesnt cover every thing in that situation, throwing when the pocket collapses is also needed. This will show the difference between Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning, and make it so scramblers arent the only QBs who can throw well when on the move. Collins has a gun and is accurate, but when under pressure he has always panic. Manning on the other hand, along with Big Ben never panic. Watching Ben during that last super bowl drive with cards flying all around stand tall in the pocket was incredible. This is how you separate great tools QBs from Great QBs. QBs should take acc hit based on if they are still between their tackles, if they are being touched (a good way to make progressive animation more prominent), or if they are being "hurried"

Leadership/composure- Im not sure exactly what to call it or how to implement it but this is very important for a QB yet we have no way of making it count in the game. I think it needs to be a part of players rating. A simple way of implementing it is to have QBs with high composure get a ratings boost on big 3rd downs, and in the 4th quarter/Overtime. QBs with low composure will have ratings drop when they are losing, when they are getting sacked allot, etc. Leadership would affect the team as a whole team, and composure would affect the individual player. I know that has to be complicated but its possible. They had something like this in last gen madden with player roles, it really should be used again. It also opens up doors for franchise mode. QBs and teams with good leadership will not allow players like T.O to act up and affect everyone's play. And they would make rookies develop faster. A good example will be Randy Moss in NE who has been a model citizen since going there. The opposite is Cincinnati which is severly lacking team leadership.

Release- How many times have you heard Mike Mayock or Helmet hair talk about a qb having a compact quick release, or a long awkward one? This could be huge cause it would again affect the new blended animations. A QB with a quick release will get the ball out allot faster, making DBs react a bit slower, they will have a much lower chance of having balls tipped at the line, and he will not lose as much accuracy when being taken down while throwing.

These are just a few ideas i thought of. I also think bringin in the learning rating from NFL head coach could be important, but i dont know if it could have a real purpose in Madden, it just seems like it should be important. But with some good intangible ratings, i think QB differentiation would be perfect.

Last edited by feeq14; 03-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Other Ideas for QB ratings.

Throwing under pressure is a great idea and is probably the easiest to implement. Hopefully they could squeeze that in but I doubt it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »