Home

Hey Phil, you're pretty Hot!

This is a discussion on Hey Phil, you're pretty Hot! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26
Re: Hey Phil, you're pretty Hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
And I actually thought it played a fun brand of arcade football. Defense was almost impossible to play though...it was basically a game of whoever had the ball last would win. It's quite possible that I just sucked at defense too though, lol.

What I couldn't get past, and it ultimately ruined the game for me, was that it had that "rushed title" feel to it, all the way through. Trey Wingo's commentary sounded like he had one sheet of copy to read from. And once you beat the little challenge mode, there really wasn't much else to do unless you had friends over.

I will give you credit for this though, Phil. Tour is the ONLY football video game I've ever been able to get the wife to play. She was actually somewhat disappointed when I traded it in.
Glad you at least tried it and it's nice that your wife enjoyed it. That was our goal actually. We wanted a football game that Madden fans could play with their kids or wives.

Regarding your other feedback... When you talk about the rushed feeling, that was because we lost focus on the game and focused too much on the process of making the game. We had a blast making the game but ultimately let things in the title slip. One big lesson I work to prevent every day. Trey Wingo's commentary suffered from a bug we introduced very late in the process. We have much more content on the disc but the bug causes things to repeat more than they should which means you only hear that stuff.

Live and learn I guess.

Phil
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

My main issue with NFL Tour was that the game wasn't given time to evolve with more editions. It's a good concept, but it was stopped after one year.

Head Coach 09 is a solid title, but it was also stopped. It's so frustrating that the company with the NFL license won't develop more NFL titles.

I understand the reality of business, but EA needs to invest in titles that pay off over time.

How about making Head Coach a PC-only game? How about making NFL Tour a reasonably-priced game that can be downloaded? NFL Tour seems to fall closer to the NHL 3-on-3 arcade world than a deeper game like Madden.

As I've said before, there needs to be more than one NFL game per year. Head Coach over the PC would be amazing. It would be easy to fill a 32-team league.

...sigh...

What was this thread about again? lol

Please release more NFL games!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Heck, even PastaPadre put the game in his top 10 for last year.
That really says something right there

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details

How about making Head Coach a PC-only game? How about making NFL Tour a reasonably-priced game that can be downloaded? NFL Tour seems to fall closer to the NHL 3-on-3 arcade world than a deeper game like Madden.

As I've said before, there needs to be more than one NFL game per year. Head Coach over the PC would be amazing. It would be easy to fill a 32-team league.

i agree... i think head coach should be a pc game!!! im from england and love football (soccer) managment sims... infact most of europe love football management sims... i think head coach has tremendous potential to be a great pc game... you guys (devs) must know of the success of the "championship manager" or "football manager" series... unbelievable detail, prob not for the casual gamer but who cares... if you get a solid hardcore fanbase the softcore fans will follow like sheep. It's exactly how cm and fm got started (well fm followed cm's success and they both followed sensible soccer) but it has to start somewhere... if you guys moved to pc and increased the detail even more... i think you guys concentrated on the in-game gameplay and that isn't what people wanted, most people i hear say that they just simmed the games anyway... it was the management side and depth that they enjoyed.
I truly believe there is a niche for this in north america it just needs a couple of years development on the pc to weed out bugs and i think it could be as succesful as football manager in europe.

oh and to keep this on topic.. phil you're hot.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 27

As long as these side games continue we lose opportunities for resources, ideas, and features to be poured into their legacy title, Madden.

I wish for all football projects within EA canned and resources devoted to Madden until Madden is once again the highly respectable top-quality franchise it was year after year in the 1990's.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #30
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
As long as these side games continue we lose opportunities for resources, ideas, and features to be poured into their legacy title, Madden.

I wish for all football projects within EA canned and resources devoted to Madden until Madden is once again the highly respectable top-quality franchise it was year after year in the 1990's.

I understand your desire to have EA concentrate on Madden, but if the company doesn't have the resources to produce what you call "side games," then the NFL exclusivity agreement should be nullified. Seriously. What a waste of a license.

The NFL needs to understand that the fans are getting punished.

The NFL is the most popular sport in the United States, and we're sitting around waiting for one title to be released.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I understand your desire to have EA concentrate on Madden, but if the company doesn't have the resources to produce what you call "side games," then the NFL exclusivity agreement should be nullified. Seriously. What a waste of a license.
Could you elaborate on why that should mean ending the license?

I think Tiburon/EA has the resources, it's just that it's being spread to other projects when Madden being as important as it is needs to have it all right now... and that's because the game has fallen so far behind. I think they agree to an extent about the resource allotment because we have the Head Coach folks working on the game now, too.

I think we would all feel a bit differently if not entirely about the exclusive license situation if Madden were the game that met the mark and made the strides. But because it hasn't it's made it impossible to see the exclusive as a beneficial thing. It really hasn't benefited anyone except for the NFL and EA's desire to eliminate the competition that was clearly outclassing its flagship product quality and value-wise.

Quote:
The NFL needs to understand that the fans are getting punished.
Thing is, the NFL doesn't take this situation as seriously as we do; they just see it as a video game that makes the NFL money. They don't care that the game has been subpar, and I'm pretty certain that the people at the NFL offices wouldn't be able to tell the difference with what's wrong with the game anyway. These aren't the kinds of folks that play video games on a regular basis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #32
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Could you elaborate on why that should mean ending the license?

I'm just frustrated.

The NFL exclusivity agreement shouldn't cover every type of game. I believe some company other than EA would make a Head Coach type game if they were allowed to use the license. We only get what EA wants to produce. That's currently one NFL game.

Quote:
I think we would all feel a bit differently if not entirely about the exclusive license situation if Madden were the game that met the mark and made the strides.

I wouldn't. Competition is healthy and benefits the customer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »