Home

Even the Show Messes Up Their Gimmicks

This is a discussion on Even the Show Messes Up Their Gimmicks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Even the Show Messes Up Their Gimmicks

Whenever EA has tried to add something new or innovative, people give them tons of crap because it is never really implemented as they intended.

Everyone should go check out the thread "RTTS Baserunning Problems" and see that even the Almight Show has, IMO, failed horribly at something new they were trying to do. Not that baserunning is fun, but something so easy shouldn't be able to get screwed up as much as theyy managed to. Also, they don't even have the option to revert back to the original controls (sound familiar?)

My point is, we need to cut not only this Madden team, but some of the past Madden teams a break. Realistically speaking, football has got to be 100's of times harder to program, design, and implement than baseball or basketball. They are under a lot of pressure year in and year out to put out a game on a strict deadline, and after seeing some of the things wrong with the show that could've/should've been caught with some testing, maybe these guys aren't so bad afterall...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Even the Show Messes Up Their Gimmicks

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
Whenever EA has tried to add something new or innovative, people give them tons of crap because it is never really implemented as they intended.

Everyone should go check out the thread "RTTS Baserunning Problems" and see that even the Almight Show has, IMO, failed horribly at something new they were trying to do. Not that baserunning is fun, but something so easy shouldn't be able to get screwed up as much as theyy managed to. Also, they don't even have the option to revert back to the original controls (sound familiar?)

My point is, we need to cut not only this Madden team, but some of the past Madden teams a break. Realistically speaking, football has got to be 100's of times harder to program, design, and implement than baseball or basketball. They are under a lot of pressure year in and year out to put out a game on a strict deadline, and after seeing some of the things wrong with the show that could've/should've been caught with some testing, maybe these guys aren't so bad afterall...
I agree with you that the expectations are high for the guys making these games.

I disagree that football is significantly harder to design a game for than any other sport. Any big-budget video game these days is going to take a monumental amount of work to get right, be it Madden, Halo, GTA, Metal Gear, NBA2K, FIFA, The Show, or what have you.

I'm also not inclined to cut anyone any slack; if a video game company doesn't make an enjoyable game, I simply won't buy it.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Football is EASILY the most difficult sports video game to create. Bar none. No competition, no debate, no question. SO many factors involved if Ian explained everything that went into it your head would spin.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

Why should we cut them slack just because another game may have its shortcomings. In terms of overall quality (presentation, amount of bugs, replay value, etc.) it has not met the standards set by games at that price tag. Is it difficult? Yes. Does the development cycle make it hard on the developers? Yes.

But at the end of the day, if the same amount of money is coming out of my wallet for a sub-par product compared to the standard set by the industry, they don't deserve to be cut any slack. I don't see the problem with voicing your displeasure over something you purchased, especially since we have the rare opportunity on these boards to do so (in a civil manner) where our criticisms can aid the development of future games.

I haven't played the new Show yet, but if the only complaint is the base running system, as opposed to a heavily bugged game, then the two games aren't on the same level. And I'm not a *****, I have faith that Madden is going to deliver this year and that's because I don't think Ian's team wants to try and meet the bare minimum expectations, they want to crush them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:

After 5 years of the same thing..... No.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz
Why should we cut them slack just because another game may have its shortcomings. In terms of overall quality (presentation, amount of bugs, replay value, etc.) it has not met the standards set by games at that price tag. Is it difficult? Yes. Does the development cycle make it hard on the developers? Yes.

But at the end of the day, if the same amount of money is coming out of my wallet for a sub-par product compared to the standard set by the industry, they don't deserve to be cut any slack. I don't see the problem with voicing your displeasure over something you purchased, especially since we have the rare opportunity on these boards to do so (in a civil manner) where our criticisms can aid the development of future games.

I haven't played the new Show yet, but if the only complaint is the base running system, as opposed to a heavily bugged game, then the two games aren't on the same level. And I'm not a *****, I have faith that Madden is going to deliver this year and that's because I don't think Ian's team wants to try and meet the bare minimum expectations, they want to crush them.
Good post unlike the OP's nonsense.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

I have all the respect in the world for the developers of each and every game. But until they start cutting prices on games, i will not be cutting my expectations. We each spend approx $65 bucks for each game. They arent doing this out of the good ness of their hearts, they get paid to develop games. So i will continue to ask for the world, and then i can evaluate if their efforts are worth my money, and if so, everyone wins.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »