Home

Need your opinions on Run Commit / Pass Commit feature

This is a discussion on Need your opinions on Run Commit / Pass Commit feature within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What should the Madden design team do with the Run Commit / Pass Commit feature?
Remove the mechanic completely (or make it automatic) 131 35.22%
Move it out of gameplay (to pre-play or play-call) 194 52.15%
Keep it as is 47 12.63%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Need your opinions on Run Commit / Pass Commit feature

Don't get rid of it but advance it. Allow me to tell the linebackers to commit separate from the secondary or Allow me to hot route players individually pre snap..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 35

I've never used this ever, if i did it was strictly on accident. I would like it to be in Pre Play controls, but if its gone i wont care.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 35

I dunno if jump the snap was in 09, if it was i didnt know how to do it, if its not i think that should return, if not for every body than for The top pass rushers in the game Like Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Demarcus Ware, people like that.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 25

Ian-

I voted to make this feature a play call feature. No defense should have the ability to commit to the run after the ball has been snapped as a entire unit. However, removing the feature altogether is not the correct answer either imo, because coaches do commit to the run in the NFL...it happens all the time, they just do it during the process of selecting a particular defensive call, and they'll load up to stop the run...and they'll do the same thing in obvious passing situations.

Once the calls are called...it should require the use of a timeout to reset the defense as an entire unit.

If I guess wrong, I should be made to pay (either with a timeout, or the possiblity of a positive offensive play). And if I guess right...then my guys should smell out the ball carrier, or etc...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
Rookie

ryby6969's Arena

OVR: 5

I think this is what the play recognition and awareness ratings are for. Also, how would procedural awareness really matter if you can hit a button on defense to tell them it is a run or pass play if they are not even looking at the play. To me, run and pass commit defeat the purpose of what is trying to be done with procedural awareness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 29

I have been the victim of Committing/Hit Sticking and losing a player to the Hit Stick animation... I voted option 2.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 12

I think that if you run comit it should be the LBs and provably bring down the SS into the box to create an 8 man fiont just like it happens in the nfl. You should be able to run or pass comit but not after the play is happening only before.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I don't like the way it is implemented. I'd like for you to keep it though but change who is committing. At best it should only be used for the linebackers. You already give the Dline a call and the secondary is always playing pass with their first two steps anyways. Linebacker is the area however where it could be a key feature. So I'd call it force and flow control. Let's say I run a 43 defense and I am in what the game calls 4-3 stack. I call for my backers to flow right. So what the game considers the OLB on the right will force or crash the gap and the remaining to backers will flow over the top, checking gaps as they flow.

But make sure it is not on the same mechanic as the hit stick.
Totally agree with LBzrule on this one.

And it should DEFINATELY be removed from the right stick. Lost count of how many times I've hitstick'd instead of committed. So frustrating.

IMO if it is only the LB's being affected by the commit option then keep it as an after the snap button press. This would add a nice risk/reward scenario and also allow play-action to come into effect too, ie, if you see the QB going to hand off, you press run-committ only to get fooled by a play action.

It should not have to be an immediate button pres either. Give the player a chance to make a judgement on whether it's a hand-off or not.

I voted option 2 only because there was no option to vote 'linebackers only and give us a little longer to make a decision'

EDIT** Iv'e never played myself but what happens on the field in this situation IRL? Do the backers yell at eachother "run run!" or is it left to each player to make up their own mind as the play reveals? If it's the latter and you want to be sim then why not leave it up to a players individual awarenees rating and do away with the run/pass committ option completely?

Last edited by Golden28; 03-04-2009 at 04:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »