Home

EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

This is a discussion on EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #49
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Actually, no it's not dude.

"Until recently, no traditionally structured sports league had ever avoided antitrust liability based on the single-entity defense. Indeed, between the years 1982 and 2006, the NFL clubs had raised the single-entity defense on seven different occasions, with the reviewing court rejecting this defense each time."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/sport...reme_cou_1.php
Interesting stuff. The author contends that the lower courts erred in applying single entity status to NFL Properties, but also points out that "even if American Needle has the better legal argument, the NFL clubs seem to have the stronger legal team".
Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #50
Rookie

Dynamite's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000
Won't happen, that would be like Coke in McDonalds & Burger King. I mean how far does exclusivity goes? Can the Yankees have a exclusive car or official car of the Yankees? Can any team have an official anything?
Coke is in both.
Our purchasing power is being eroded. So especially now, the goods must be held to a standard. We end up happier as consumers, and the companies get a clear message: "We won't tolerate sub-par goods." It's a shame, no one cares to speak with their wallet.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #51
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
"Any honest sports video game developer has every right to create their own game of American football to sell on the market because you can't monopolize an idea."

No you can't monopolize an idea, but you sure as hell can come close. Just buy up all the major league licenses. NFL, NCAA, Arena. The only one left (I believe) is canadian football, but the market there is so small you may as well go generic.

Now your average joe walks into bestbuy looking at his football game choices. Hmm, what will he buy? A game about football? Or a game about NFL/NCAA football?
True. You cannot monopolize an idea, this idea being football. What EA has technically done painted the rest of market into a corner. No sports video game developer stands a chance against EA Sports when it comes to developing an American-football title. They know that and they exploited a loophole in the system because they have not actually broken any monopoly laws.

I'm still going to label the agreement between EA Sports and the NFL as collusion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 25

Yea, this ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 7

NFL 2k11

Bring NFL 2k Football back

Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And there's no problem with that. In the end there was a lot wrong with the game. It did a lot right too, which even stand out two years later. I just disagreed with your inferring that APF is essentially what they would come up with if they were making an NFL game. Not that it's a horrible thing, because I've said for a while that if you add NFL teams and players to APF (along w/corresponding sig styles/attention to detail) the game becomes a lot more appealing. I think in approaching these games there needs to be realistic expectations. I'm not sure what will become of this lawsuit, but if for some magical reason exclusivity was lifted and 2K could make a game, I'm sure many would be trying to make a direct comparison to a 1st/2nd year effort to what will be Tiburon's 5th yr next gen effort. It's just how people think. While direct comparisons are understandable, people should have the ability to consider that there are caveats and it isn't a level playing field
I'm pretty sure had this been an NFL game they would've alotted a longer development time and some of the more ummmm... interesting stuff they did with APF would've never made it into the game. But whether it meant that the lack of polish would've been rectified is anybodies guess. After all, Tiburon's been making Madden all gen and that game lacks all kinds of polish so it's hard to tell what the outcome would've been. I see some polish issues with the 2K Sports games this generation that have kinda been at least partially eye-brow raising although not exactly game killing.

About the comparisons... It's a tough thing because on one end when you consider how weak Madden's been you kinda want to be able to have the 2K game come in and knock it silly. But then on the other hand you know deep down that comparing a game that's been developed every year of the generation (Madden) is going to be ahead in a number of ways over one that hasn't (2K Football). We're in a really weird place right now, lol.

I really expected APF (and now looking back probably unfairly) to pick up where 2K5 left off. Some say it did, I don't myself because I don't get the same feeling playing APF as I still do playing 2K5... and I like to play with created teams a lot on 2K5 (My Arizona Vipers cannot be stopped) so you know it's not just the NFL thing for me!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
It's unfair to Jugde Take Two's capabilities by looking at APF. Take Two clearly didn't put a lot of effort or resources into APF, as they weren't convinced that there was a market for a non-licensed football game.

The game play was still superior to madden 08 and 09; 2k5, which came out nearly five years ago, did things with inferior technology that Madden has yet to accomplish. Look at the other 2k sports titles in comparision to madden.

I think they know how to make a quality football game.
I agree that 2K was clearly uncertain and not willing to spend a lot on the development itself (but they spent a ton on licensing the Greats, so go figure that one, lol). Heck, Jeff Thomas actually said that in an interview with GI about being uncertain. But it's hard for me to say they should get a pass just because of THAT alone, but I certainly understand where you're coming from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #56
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Like someone said, there is an anti-american vibe to this whole thing. I mean, this is why we are in such a tight spot now with the economy, greedy idiots who dont take responsibility. Now a days American business is all about who can sell that cheapest thing for the most. Customer service is crap everywhere, most products are cheaply made. I can barely check my email without being offered a 3.99 a month subscription somewhere 3 or 4 times. Nobody cares about their reputation anymore. things get a little hot, Mr. Bigwig resigns and Idiot number 2 steps in and makes things worse. EA is no different. They dont care about what people are saying about the game, they care about the numbers in September. thats all. EA is no different, and to be fair, 2k is the same. where is 2k's lawsuit? if they were passionate about their lovely game, they would be flipping balls. They had a piece of crap baseball game, still do, and just got the license on that and moved on.
Sure, the developers say they care and Im sure some of them are passionate about their craft. they arent freelancers though, they work for EA and they get told what to do and what not to do. The people on these boards arent executives, they are the foot soldiers and while little things here and there are their idea, most of their work is what someone else tells them to do.
Im ashamed that this is what my country has turned into. I served in the army for 9 years, what are we? what do we, as americans do? other than use every resource and act like someone ows us something, what do we contribute?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »