Home

For M10 sake, Which is Worst Draft or Progression!?

This is a discussion on For M10 sake, Which is Worst Draft or Progression!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which Hurts Franchise More....?
Draft 26 44.07%
Progression 33 55.93%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: For M10 sake, Which is Worst Draft or Progression!?

Interesting Comments so Far.

I agree that not all Top 5 Picks are locks to be franchise players (id estimate 50/50) but still the stats they generate is not where near enough to be productive.

Progression seems to be the early winner but theres alot of draft things that ruin it. Less so in 09 but theres alot of positions that you simply cannot draft, a FB! and so a smaller extent K and P but thats a different story. Theres a usual massive influx of high rated Wr and Cbs but all other positions are always lacking and the 1st rounders never seem to have enough O-Line,D-Line and LB's.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

The draft is pathetic. In general, too often you get mismatched abilitiesm i.e. 93 speed, but 78 acceration or agility. If we could just get guys that have similar abilities to actual rookies then this would never happen. There's just no way to draft players that look like actual rookies. I want my 190 lb speedster RB with 60 trucking, my hard hitting SS who can't cover to save his life, my athletic CB who can run with any receiver in the game but struggles in coverage, my strong armed turnover prone QB, my athletic TE who struggles in the run game, or at the very least a semi-usable FB.

The players you tend to get in Madden drafts have stats that lack any rhyme or reason. Awesome! My scat back has 95 elusiveness, but bad news: he's got 83 speed.

Madden doesn't necessarily need pre-made HC like draft classes, just archetypes that players fall in to with the occasional wildcard thrown in for good measure. Positional archetypes wouldn't be that much more difficult to program anyway. Just set ranges for size, weight, and key abilities and I'd be happy.

Last edited by CW McGraw; 03-08-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: i felt like it
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Which is worse? Progression... because it exasperates the draft issues.

There is a work around for the worst aspect of the draft (everyone taking a QB in the first round). After that, the draft results become much more reasonable.

However, it does no good if the players never improve, right? So, yeah, progression definitely. I can't wait to see what Donny and Josh have done with franchise mode.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

I can't choose between these 2 because too me they are just as vital and obviously need to get fixed..

The thing I always couldn't understand was..

We always have rookies in the new madden games default rosters.
Now reflect these guys with the automated rookies you draft in your 1st off-season.. that's just waaay off.
The basicly random ratings... seriously need to get fixed..

About progression imo isn't that difficult... old-gen progression was fine... use that and maybe perfect it.. because '09 progression was basicly horrible..
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipie
About progression imo isn't that difficult... old-gen progression was fine... use that and maybe perfect it.. because '09 progression was basicly horrible..
I think the argument against old-gen progression was that after a few seasons seemingly everyone was a +90 OVR. What I would like to see from old-gen progression in Madden 2010 is mid-season progression.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9

Its really hard to decide between the 2 because these are pretty much the 2 most important things in franchise mode.

I am going to go with the draft because after playing Head Coach, the standard has been set. The draft is the second most exciting part of the NFL season besides the Superbowl, and that feeling is totally lost in Madden. And that just includes the presentation aspect of it.

As other people mentioned, the ratings of these rookies makes no sense because they are all random. Ratings are based off of where they are chosen, so there is no way you are going to get a decent player after the first 2 rounds, whereas in the NFL, plenty are starters are taken in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I also agree about the bizarre rating combinations- a RB with 85 speed but 95 juke/agility is basically useless... or a player with 95 speed and 70 acceleration.

With all of that said, progression is still very important, but if the foundation of the building isn't sturdy (the draft), it doesn't matter how strong the rest of the structure is (progression), its still going to fall apart.

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Andy says the way the computer drafts

if you have your eye on a guy, you have no idea where he might end up, because the computer can easily have three first round quarterbacks, or running backs, on the roster

Last edited by AndyBernard; 03-08-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: edit to add
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »