Home

Finding A Middle Road Between Sim Play and Video Game

This is a discussion on Finding A Middle Road Between Sim Play and Video Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
Finding A Middle Road Between Sim Play and Video Game

The constant issue I always come across in any sports game is when I start winning with a bad team.

For instance, in Madden 09 I used the Detroit Lions on All-Madden and managed to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl (in my first season). We all know what happened in real life.

Here is my quandary.

While it clearly shouldn't happen in your first season (especially with the worst team in sports history), isn't the goal of the game to win? (Even against hard (sometimes cheating CPU AI)

I personally feel just as dirty and cheated if I have to try to lose. Which I have had to do many times just to keep my Franchise/Dynasty interesting.

I know there are many differing opinions on this issue.

What is yours?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Finding A Middle Road Between Sim Play and Video Game

I'm one of those who hates a blemished record, wether it be online or on franchise, this doesn't mean I haven't lost a game, two in this past year in my franchise required comebacks actually, one on the last play of the game with 2 seconds left on a deep ball.

Either way what this brings me to is with one of Ian's recent twitter posts he noted how he was losing to the cpu which brings a good sign, also bringing back sliders this year to toughen it up for users should cure some of your pains.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

I personally think there HAS to be a choice...Sim/Arcade. I dont think it can be both.

However....

Based on Ian and Co's info thus far. They seem to be focusing on All-Pro/All Madden as SIM first as the game speed overall will be slower and behave more "realistic". While Rookie/Pro will be faster and offer more of a casual /arcade challenge. This makes me VERY optimistic and Ian has already stated (i believe) he is a SIM guy as are his team.

I just dont think a sports game can be BOTH. If you try to find the "happy medium" it usually ends up going 1 way more than staying in between.

IDK. We will see in the coming months.

*crosses fingers*

P.S. I am 100% SIm so you know which way i am leaning. I would love defensive battles, blowouts etc. Not the Arcade shootouts we have now.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Though I hate the idea of a loss, I dream for the day where I HAVE to use a fiber of my brain power to beat the CPU, or at least avoid a loss. I don't mind losing as long as I know that I wasn't cheated.

I can't recall the last time I actually lost a legit game to the CPU. I hope this year's Madden is the one.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Oh heeeeeelllllllll NO!

I don't want no type or kind of compromise on sim. No kinda sorta almost sim. I WANT SIM.

What you guys are talking about is dynamic strategy by the CPU, and that doesn't have anything to do with physics. I have not heard anything about "adaptive AI" which would address this issue.

The CPU will still call plays at random and not aim to attack your weaknesses. As a result this game will always be very beatable on it's toughest mode. But if it's sim, you can de-tune your own team so that you have to play a perfect game in order to win. THAT will make for a fun and challenging single player game.

It's the best we can hope for in the near future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 19

I'm definately sim.

If i want to play arcade style i'll go to the mall and play the old NFL Blitz game. If your gonna make everything realistic with graphics, player models, and franchise modes than the gameplay needs to follow.

SIM all the way
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
I personally think there HAS to be a choice...Sim/Arcade. I dont think it can be both.

However....

Based on Ian and Co's info thus far. They seem to be focusing on All-Pro/All Madden as SIM first as the game speed overall will be slower and behave more "realistic". While Rookie/Pro will be faster and offer more of a casual /arcade challenge. This makes me VERY optimistic and Ian has already stated (i believe) he is a SIM guy as are his team.

I just dont think a sports game can be BOTH. If you try to find the "happy medium" it usually ends up going 1 way more than staying in between.

IDK. We will see in the coming months.

*crosses fingers*

P.S. I am 100% SIm so you know which way i am leaning. I would love defensive battles, blowouts etc. Not the Arcade shootouts we have now.

Agreed.

I am 100% SIM as well. A good challenge makes the win more fulfilling. I am hoping for the best.

Are we finally going to get some attention in this years Madden?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Pure SIm. The game should award those with knowledge of the game as well as stick skills.

Would LOVE to have a challenging (and BS-less) game against the CPU that doesnt feel scripted.

SIM 100% and twice on Sunday.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »