Home

Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument...

This is a discussion on Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #65
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
actually they could do like basket ball games

3pt tendency- deep ball
mid range tendency- intermediate
inside tendency- short dump off

they could apply something like this to football
This sounds much more simplistic. Although it won't be true adaptive ai, it'll make teams play differently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #66
tcp
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94niners
Good idea, but how would you add in the variable that not all QBs read defenses correctly? Often times players make the WRONG read, which would add a lot more variation to the algorithm. What about the WR's read or route running, etc? Suppose the QB makes the right read, but the WR doesn't or doesn't run his route correctly. Does the QB now have to adjust and take a "next best option" type action? Does the QB always take the CORRECT "next best option?" Obviously the answer is NO- you would have to have yet another layer of variables.

Next, what about agresive players vs non agressive players? Or agressive coaches vs non-agressive coaches. Brett Favre would take chances that Steve Young wouldn't and so on. Or Mike Martz would have his QB take riskier throws while Mike Holmgren will be more careful about it. Yet more variables to consider.

Basically, you're starting to get into some very complex math here, and I don't know how far the developers can match the expectation.
Yes and no. There are ways of making this happen without using too much math. You could associate values and establish relations between attributes without digging too deep into the math side. There are very good papers in the GA, GP areas that describe this kind of decision-making. I've never been around games to know if you could translate that into a game without many disadvantages.

And you also wont be looking for the optimal 'solution' as you dont want the computer to know what play you are running (although he should be aware of personnel) and there wont be much time to find it.

I dont know, neither do you, how the game works in its core. So it's impossible to suggest ways for it's implementation. All we can do is throw ideas in
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I have a question.

In Madden 09. How was the difficult added as you increased from Rookie - All Madden??? Another words, what makes All-Madden tougher? Because you say the speed glitch is not there. But I know I have replayed videos of a Slower linebacker running down a much faster HB. Now you can bring up the fatigue debate, but I highly doubt that is the issue.

This is my assessment of ALL-MADDEN in years past.

CPU D-line - man handles the Human offensive line
CPU DB's - Perfect coverage AI, super jumping linebackers, eyes behind the head
CPU HB's - Super tackle breakers, never fatigue
CPU QB's - Never miss a throw, no matter if they are getting hit, running off the back foot and throwing 35 yards downfield = PERFECT STRIKE!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #68
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

In regards to the computer "cheating" in the past, it is self evident. Non-user controled players, on the users team DO move out of position to allow for the catch. to be fair though, as you saw in a youtube video regarding the best corner in Madden vs. the worst reciver in madden, the corner would repeatably just move out of the way and allow the catch when at first he was in perfect postion to jump the ball.

There are countless times when defenders/offensive players have suffer from what i like to call a "random chance of s***ing" where they just avoid a play they were otherwise in position to make. You are about to break a big gain adn a TD. you just need one more block, the angel is right... adn whiff the blockers turns sideways adn completely missies/avoids the defender. I don't mind when the defender out plays my blocker/sheds his block. It's irritating, but acceptable. Or when a defender is ready to make a pick/swat and like the you tube video, goes and does his own thing for a bit like pick flowers and then comes back only to be totaly burnt on a play. *the part of the clip where the DB ran in a circle and and didn't even tackle the worst reciver, let along get a pick 6.*

But then again, "It's in the game" right?

Last edited by PGaither84; 03-18-2009 at 05:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »