Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Momentum

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Momentum within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Latest Madden NFL 10 blog: Player Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
Leave the running animation alone for now dude. Its probably something they are addressing later. This is about player momentum not the sprint animation.

I see what you mean about what foot should be on the ground, but this is a computer game and if I want to turn left but need to wait based on what foot is down it won't be so responsive. When playing the game I am watching defenders and looking for holes, not my players feet. I wouldn't be happy to take the hit on gameplay to make sure the players correct foot is down when turning.
I actually see what you are saying locomotion is the point of the blog not player specific animation. I am not saying that other point isn't valid.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 29

Awesome blog! Nice to see the arcade handling come to an end.

21 Blog Updates to go until we find out about Franchise mode!!!! Let the countdown begin!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #75
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

I'll repeat my question:

Does the CPU have to play with these physics in Madden mode, or can the CPU just start compressing animations when it gets out of position?

Having great momentum is useless if only the human controlled players have to abide by it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 18

Loved the quote at the end referring to a Head Coach never playing Madden beating one of those guys on the Madden Challenge!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Loved the quote at the end referring to a Head Coach never playing Madden beating one of those guys on the Madden Challenge!
Amen!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I'll repeat my question:

Does the CPU have to play with these physics in Madden mode, or can the CPU just start compressing animations when it gets out of position?

Having great momentum is useless if only the human controlled players have to abide by it.
I can't see why they'd let the CPU cheat it.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #79
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I am being as understanding as I can. 2K5 did this right. FIFA does this right..nevermind...
Good feedback.

FYI, the ballcarrier has an entirely different set of cuts and plants as soon as you let off of the stick or slow down...so you don't have to "turn" when you want to go somewhere. This blog was geared specifically for turn rates. You can call it rushed...it still took me over an hour to capture and write everything (on my busiest day so far of the year).

Regardless, to your point about not blending correctly based on having a certain foot forward - actually to my knowledge no game accurately does that. It is something that is given away for responsiveness. Meaning, if i have a juke animation that starts with my right foot on the ground, and I am running in a sprint, it will play that same animation whether my right foot just left the ground or whether my left foot is down - and blend appropriately. I actually talked with FIFA guys about this once...and they prototyped this - it just felt miserable to do something on your controller, and sit there and wait for a guy to complete a full phase of locomotion before he responds to that command.

It would be similar to an NBA game waiting to make a move until the ball was up in your hand...responsiveness would likely suffer too much.

I bet some of you guys would probably dig it though.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I'll repeat my question:

User and CPU share the same model.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »