Home

Strafe Catch Issue (Video)

This is a discussion on Strafe Catch Issue (Video) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Strafe Catch Issue (Video)

Here is my video on the "Strafe Catch" and its issues

The "Strafe Catch" has to go but more importantly the HOLDING OF THE "Y" BUTTON because it involves 0% skill

My issue with it would not be as strong if Defensive backs could actually make a play and jump as high as recievers

Last edited by Blazin4QB; 03-16-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Strafe Catch Issue (Video)

It's a great video but man, yall East Coast Brothas be killin' me with them accents.

To the video: you raise a multitude of issues beyond just the strafe catch.

First

The NFL rules are bullsh!t. I have been on about this for years, that it's a bunch of crap that WRs should be allowed to run down the field untouched. Much of the programming of DBs in the game is designed to simulate Randy Moss's dominance against undersized DBs that are not allowed to touch him.

In real life, Randy makes alot of the catches that you displayed. I'm not saying it's right, I am saying though that it's real.

Second

More to the point of your overall thesis, the QBs in the game are too accurate and the WRs are too sure handed. Many of those high passes should be overthrows off the fingertips. If you watch alot of NFL games you will find that more passes are missed by innacurate throws than are batted down by DBs. There should be more errant throws in the game.

Third

There needs to be some way to adjust the agressiveness of your DB. If you want him to play soft, and just tackle after the catch there should be a mechanism for that. If you want him to play close and go after the ball (risking giving up a big play) there should be a way to do that too.

Finally

If you address those issues first, the strafe catch becomes far less powerful. Moreover an agressive DB is highly likely to dislodge the ball from Randy while he is in mid-air with a big hit because he is exposed when jumping that high.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
It's a great video but man, yall East Coast Brothas be killin' me with them accents.

To the video: you raise a multitude of issues beyond just the strafe catch.

us east coast brothas feel the same about ya'll down south and on the west coast

thanks for watching the video and submitting feedback i will always appreciate it

Last edited by Blazin4QB; 03-16-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Can't you Hit-Stick, and flip them in the air. Wasn't that supposed to be the counter?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Nice vid. LMAO at the septuple-team.

Quote:
Third

There needs to be some way to adjust the agressiveness of your DB. If you want him to play soft, and just tackle after the catch there should be a mechanism for that. If you want him to play close and go after the ball (risking giving up a big play) there should be a way to do that too.
I was thinking the same thing as I was watching this. Last gen used to have something like this, I think. You could have individual DB's jam or play off, at least.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRYder226
Can't you Hit-Stick, and flip them in the air. Wasn't that supposed to be the counter?

Hit Sticking receivers just ends in a Pass Interference or a miss its pointless BUT i will say that after the catch has been made it is a small chance in which you can hit stick when he lands on the ground
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Finally

If you address those issues first, the strafe catch becomes far less powerful. Moreover an agressive DB is highly likely to dislodge the ball from Randy while he is in mid-air with a big hit because he is exposed when jumping that high.
you cannot make the strafe catch any "less" powerful its a glitch and the only thing that will save the game from this catch is for the defensive backs to have the same opportunity for the ball as receivers "jumping" wise

and when this is addressed they cannot weight the jump ratings of receivers vs defensive backs because if i use reshean mathis vs randy moss he should not have the ability to abuse the catch EVERY time.

I shouldn't have to play with the raiders and the "defensive randy moss and WR" as they call him Darrick Brown to stop Randy Moss because he can jump over my small receivers all the time.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

This is EXACTLY what i've been sayin lately.. I played the ps2 madden 09 the other day and noticed how much harder it was to user catch just because you had to actually TIME the catch.. not just hold the Y button down..... Good thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »